Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight we took the kids to a drive-in about an hour away from home. We went to a double-feature, everything was good for the first movie. Had the ignition set to acc. just had to reset it every 20 minutes or so when it would power off. (Which my last two push button ignition cars have required me to do) No problem. About 3/4 of the way through the first film jeep powers off but I can’t bring it back on. It started throwing charging system failure lights at me, can’t locate key-fob, etc… we decide to wait for the movie to end and go ask for a jump. At first we were having trouble, we were using one of those battery pack jumpers and on the first attempt we couldn’t get it to start. The guy offers to go plug the jumper in to let it charge for a while and come back. He comes back and later and works. The Jeep starts and we get the hell out of there.

My question is what caused the battery to discharge so quickly? I’ve never had a battery die at a drive-in before. Is there something else pulling juice from the battery? Also had a check engine light on the way home. Hopefully that clears by tomorrow.
Has anyone else had something like this happen?

·
Registered
381 Posts
you have less then 30sec with the portable jump starter. it will not charge the battery.
better was to have it in ready not on acc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
btw . what movies ?
Jungle Cruise and Black Widow. (Went for Black Widow battery died during Jungle Cruise)
I’m not sure I understand have it in “Ready” instead of “ACC”. Can you turn on the radio without putting it in ACC? I’m pretty sure I tried that. Is there a setting in UCONNECT to be enable this?

·
Registered
610 Posts
I guess this means the HVB contact switches are not closed in ACC mode. Otherwise the DC/DC converter would kick in when needed.

You can disable the auto off timer by unplugging the driver's door wiring harness. With a good charge level that should allow the system to keep going through several movies.

I was reading an interesting thread yesterday where using deep cycle batteries on the 4xe was discussed. They allow for longer use but don't have the traditional peak CCA required for starters.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had a vehicle that kept discharging the battery while sitting at the airport for a week or two. I ended up running power lines to the rear of the vehicle and connecting a deep cycle marine pack on a switch. May not be the most attractive option but it would certainly work. Also, I wonder if Jeep can incorporate an auto charge system and/or why they haven’t done that already? If you have a 17kw lithium battery, why can’t you use it to constantly charge the starter battery once it’s down below say 11.5v

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a follow up. Watched Black Widow on Disney+. If you like Marvel movies, and I know there will be people who disagree even within that group, it was good!! My wife even liked it and she is super-hero movie skeptical.
More importantly though, I just got a call from Jeep Wave. (They were following up on my roadside service call that I placed when I thought we were going to be stuck for the night) I told the woman who called what happened and she insisted there was no reason that the 12v battery should have discharged so quickly. They are escalating my situation to a case manager who will follow up with me tomorrow to schedule and expedite service at a dealership. I have to admit I'm kind of impressed. I've never had this level of service. I guess we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
610 Posts
If you have a 17kw lithium battery, why can’t you use it to constantly charge the starter battery once it’s down below say 11.5v
I'm sure that could be done but I'd guess it's a safety issue, similar to having your engine running. The HVB is normally disconnected/isolated from the rest of the car.

When plugged in the the computer will make sure the 12v battery is conditioned. But I think that's more by time than battery charge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to follow up:
The MIL (check engine) light cleared after two start/stop cycles. I heard from Jeep Wave last week. They attempted to expedite getting it in to a dealership for diagnosis, but even with that help, the closest dealership was scheduling a month out. They mentioned I could probably get it in to the dealership where I purchased it quicker but they are about an hour away, more during the week with traffic. I opted to hold off for the time being. They didn't really offer any other options and the urgency on their part was gone after they heard the MIL light cleared. I'm going to follow up and get an appointment for a month out just so someone can actually check it out. I still don't understand how the battery would have died so quickly. Otherwise Jeep is great!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks FirstF80, looks like I shouldn’t have put off bringing it in. Yesterday, I had the same thing happen again. Not at a drive-in this time. Drove to store about 30 min from home. When we came out jeep wouldn’t start. The info screen started cycling through all of the systems, check this check that. Kept trying to start it, actually got lucky and it started the ICE, but the ac kicked in on high (it was HOT out here yesterday) and the engine died.
(Strangthing is the start button was stuck on run and it wouldn’t turn off!)
The screen kept cycling, the ac cycling on and off…
Sent wife and kids home in an Uber, Uber driver actually tried agreed to help me jump it off of his car. No go…
Waited for roadside assistance to show up. When roadside assistance showed up, we tried jumping it again, this time with one of the portable jumper units.
No dice.
Same behavior on the inside the screen is cycling through different systems. Still can’t turn off the car. Roadside Assistance disconnected the battery for about a minute, which cleared up some of this behavior. Jeep could now be turned on or off just wouldn’t actually start.
Another thing that happened is, it started not seeing the key fob, which is in my pocket the entire time. Looked up online that if your key fob battery dies and you can’t start jeep you actually push the start button with the corner of the key fob. (I believe it is the corner with the button for flipping open the key, interesting! Although my key fob battery isn’t dead)
Still won’t start though.
We were just about to give up hope and load it on the flatbed but decided to try jumping it one more time.
Lo and behold, this time it worked.
ICE started up and stayed on this time. I was able to turn off the ac quickly so there was nothing else drawing power, gave it a few minutes, and was able to drive it home.

I read another entry on here of someone having a similar experience while off-road. At least I was in civilization. Jeep will be going to the dealer this week. (Oh, and another strange thing is that my battery had 32% the entire time so I didn’t need the ICE to start right away to get home)
Frustrating…

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tortuga I hope they get you squared away so you can continue enjoying your 4xe. The 12 volt battery seems to be just as importent as the HV battery to have a healthy 4xe. It's not only just used for the accessories, it also keeps the brains if the vehicle powered. That being said I have a question or thought for the group to possably discuss. Do you think there could be an advantage to a duel battery system? Might it be a viable option for those who use alot of accessories, go on long offroad trips, live in very hot areas where batteries tend to die prematurely or live far away from their dealer? There is obviously a cost but I wonder if it would be worth it for some battery redundancy and peace of mind. Again just a thought for discussion. I don't even know it would work on the 4xe.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think they're seeing a lot of the 12V batteries dying because of slow processing times at the plant. Not good for new batteries to be sitting around for weeks on the plant lots.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You might be on to something Sam. I brought mine in to the dealer yesterday, they replaced the 12V battery, said it had a bad cell and wasn't holding a charge. Held onto it for 24 hours, couldn't replicate the problem, no new codes were thrown and they said everything else checked out. I picked it up today. I told them if it happens again I'll be back. I hope not to see them again anytime soon, though they were nice people.:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts