Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, my family drives to Long Island regularly and we take the ferry from Bridgeport to Port Jeff and back. You are not allowed to run an ICE for the trip, but the 4xe, you should be able to just run off the battery. I am curious how much power the climate control would use. Basically what percentage battery would you need to run it for a 70-80 minutes (I know it shuts off after 30, but I would be in the car).

In Covid times, we are still leery to have our kids in the main cabin so try and just stay in the car.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I get that, I watched that video. I am more curious how much battery gets used up. If I drive 150 miles in hybrid, I will have the <1% battery left. I assume to run the climate control, it would kick on the ICE while sitting in the hold of the ferry (not allowed on the ferry). I am wondering how much battery I need to make the trip on the ferry with out having the ICE kick on.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The A/C compressor is variable speed. Higher temps,higher speed, more energy consumption.

You will just have to try it and see how much energy is consumed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The most I’ve ever seen the AC report pulling is 4 kW, the battery fully charged has ~15kWhours, kWatt hour means enough energy to run at a rate of 15 kWatts for one hour, with 15 kWatt hour capacity I’d expect you can run your AC for at least 3 hours on the hottest of days.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The most I’ve ever seen the AC report pulling is 4 kW, the battery fully charged has ~15kWhours, kWatt hour means enough energy to run at a rate of 15 kWatts for one hour, with 15 kWatt hour capacity I’d expect you can run your AC for at least 3 hours on the hottest of days.
Sounds about right.
When it is really hot out, like 115 plus.... the engine turns on and I think I saw 7kW going to climate control. Can't remember exactly though......when it is that hot I can barely think inside the Jeep.

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have never seen more than 1 kW going to climate but it doesn't get much hotter than 85* here. Will be a better test when it is 0* and I have to run the heater :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have never seen more than 1 kW going to climate but it doesn't get much hotter than 85* here. Will be a better test when it is 0* and I have to run the heater :)
Hey folks, my family drives to Long Island regularly and we take the ferry from Bridgeport to Port Jeff and back. You are not allowed to run an ICE for the trip, but the 4xe, you should be able to just run off the battery. I am curious how much power the climate control would use. Basically what percentage battery would you need to run it for a 70-80 minutes (I know it shuts off after 30, but I would be in the car).

In Covid times, we are still leery to have our kids in the main cabin so try and just stay in the car.
The ICE will kick in at some point to cool down the batteries.

·
Registered
65 Posts
No I get that, I watched that video. I am more curious how much battery gets used up. If I drive 150 miles in hybrid, I will have the <1% battery left. I assume to run the climate control, it would kick on the ICE while sitting in the hold of the ferry (not allowed on the ferry). I am wondering how much battery I need to make the trip on the ferry with out having the ICE kick on.
Running your AC in the Jeep for 90 minutes, without running the engine is doable, with enough juice left in the battery. You can check it yourself.
Go to the app page, select the hybrid app, then the detail on the power being used for moving down the road and for climate.
I live in Arizona, also know as the Summer Vacation Destination for Lucifer And his friends. Since I’ve owned the 4xe, (we haven’t gotten to the hottest part of the summer, yet), I’ve never seen more than 2kwh directed to run Climate Control. So let’s assume there’s an occasional need to cool the battery, so let’s bump the usage to say 3kwh, on the average. So 1.5 hr times 3kwhr, so you only use 4.5kw out of your usable 15kw on a fully charged battery, roughly 30%. Let’s go worse case scenario, say it averages 4kwh over 2 hours. Total use of 8kw. So if your battery as you drive on the ferry is at least 60%, you will be cool all trip, even if they hit a sandbar on the way.
you will have to run the ignition in the ON position (that might be a no-no, but only if they catch you) and it will turn off after about 30 minutes, so you will have to turn it back to ON again, just make sure you are in “ELECTRIC” mode before you start.
‘Word to the wise, when The battery cools down, it sounds like a helicopter taking off, so YOU WILL ATTRACT ATTENTION……it will cool down the battery during your trip, probably multiple times.
‘Ask if people with Tesla’s stay in their cars?

Please give us a follow up on your experience..Good luck. Personally I enjoy the trip from the open deck, as long as I am in the shade.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts