Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm considering a Wrangler 4XE and here in Spain they say the battery pack has a 8 year warranty. I cannot though find out what it could potentially cost to replace after 8 years.

10 year maintenance costs after 11 years with a Jeep Sport JK 2 doors diesel has been roughly €12k. With a battery pack replacement that could cost be doubled?

How do you intend to clean the engine bay? Is there advice from Jeep on how to clean it? My diesel is steam cleaned every few years but this looks too risky with the 4Xe

·
Registered
262 Posts
Battery costs are dropping like crazy. The drop over the past decade has been so huge that there’s really no way to know what they will cost in 10 years.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Current Lithium batteries are rated to be at 80% capacity after 3-5000 charge cycles. It's likely that the plug-in range will be somewhat reduced in 8 years but fully functional in all other respects. We have a 12yr old Prius with almost 200K miles. We've replaced the 12v battery (which is a lead acid) but zero problems with the hybrid battery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a good point. I wonder how much they are now as a replacement part?

I live on a 80km sq island, so from reading the posts and looking at videos I'm becoming more inclined to believe this vehicle could be ideal.

(noob question) Given that laptop batteries last longer when they are charged to 80% - 90% and not full discharged. Is it the same with these Jeep batteries? Is the 100% which shows on the Jeep dash for a charge the real 100% or has there been some headroom left for conditioning? Would the batteries have a longer shelf life if they were only charged to 80% or 90% each time? I don't think I would even need a full charge each day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Current Lithium batteries are rated to be at 80% capacity after 3-5000 charge cycles. It's likely that the plug-in range will be somewhat reduced in 8 years but fully functional in all other respects. We have a 12yr old Prius with almost 200K miles. We've replaced the 12v battery (which is a lead acid) but zero problems with the hybrid battery.
How much capacity would these batteries have to lose for them to covered under warranty?

·
Registered
88 Posts
They've left the 15% reserve at the low end which is important for battery life so I expect they've left something at the top end too. I could get cells for a 17KWhr battery for $2-3000 retail but here's a lot of electronics and a temperature control system in that battery as well so it would be considerably more. No clue on the warranty as I haven't seen it yet.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Battery costs are dropping like crazy. The drop over the past decade has been so huge that there’s really no way to know what they will cost in 10 years.
Chris, do you think this platform could ever be updated to take advantage of future battery tech? It would likely require Jeep to offer software upgrades to support higher capacities, different charging rates, etc.. Traditional manufacturers don't have a good history of support.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Chris, do you think this platform could ever be updated to take advantage of future battery tech? It would likely require Jeep to offer software upgrades to support higher capacities, different charging rates, etc.. Traditional manufacturers don't have a good history of support.
I’m sure Jeep would just rather you buy a new one by the time you’d want to replace the batteries but with tech costs dropping and the amazing aftermarket support for the Wrangler I wouldn’t be surprised if someone swooped in and offered an aftermarket upgrade along with any systems / software updates required.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I've also been wondering about the OPs engine bay cleaning question. My mustang's owners manual encouraged it. But I see a warning sticker on the wrangler which seems to suggest not to do it.

I've never done more than a gentle shower cleaning in any prior vehicle.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've also been wondering about the OPs engine bay cleaning question. My mustang's owners manual encouraged it. But I see a warning sticker on the wrangler which seems to suggest not to do it.

I've never done more than a gentle shower cleaning in any prior vehicle.
Leaf Blower, Shop Vac, Brushes and Wipes.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Funny though you can gently rinse a Ford engine bay but not a Wrangler's. Seems like it should be the other way around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts