Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else notice, at least early on, changes to their behavior since owning a 4xe? I’m only a month in and am definitely lighter accelerating as I try to maximize battery range and I am more aware of energy usage at home. I’m wondering if I could change my habits enough at home to keep my energy bill flat. Time will tell….

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yup, I tend not to floor it as much as I do in other vehicles since I don't want the engine to start. On long trips I just drive how I want of course, and still get good MPG (by Wrangler standards).

·
Registered
264 Posts
In 2016, Solar Impulse landed in Dayton, Ohio on it’s solar powered flight around the world. I got excited about what they were doing. Then I became an energy geek. The whole energy conversation is fascinating. Electrification of our vehicles makes so much more sense when it’s understood in the context of energy production.

Soon after, I bought my first EV. It was a little Smart Electric Drive that I sold when I got my Wrangler 4XE. I saw exactly what you are saying when I got my Smart. Then again when I got my Jeep. I try to keep from running the gas engine. It’s like a disappointment when it comes on.

·
Registered
2021 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
33 Posts
I'm in the same boat, definitely not pushing it too hard and trying to find the sweet spot for mpg's and energy use. Outside of my driving behavior, I'd say my overall behavior is still fairly immature.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I totally agree with everyone. Unless I have to get on the highway in traffic I make a conscious effort to not make the engine turn on. I never drive that way previously.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep 4xe Rubicon
28 Posts
You guys are missing all the fun. Once that first 25 miles of EV is up, I often enjoy the 470 footpounds a few times over and over.

These Jeep 4xes are a lot of fun. Smashing to GO pedal or conserving the EV portion. Great stuff.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You guys are missing all the fun. Once that first 25 miles of EV is up, I often enjoy the 470 footpounds a few times over and over.

These Jeep 4xes are a lot of fun. Smashing to GO pedal or conserving the EV portion. Great stuff.
Lol, over all I hope to rival some of the mileage folks get on one tank of gas, but I'll be damned if I don't put it into 4W auto and stomp the accelerator a few times to feel all 470 lbs of torque from a dead stop!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, I’m finding myself being a little lighter on the accelerator for sure when I’m driving around town to save battery life. The highway is a different story because the battery goes so quickly from the faster speeds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
100% I find I don't really NEED to get anywhere that crucially that I need to floor it... I'll get there just fine and as quickly with a smooth acceleration... just with more ticks up vs down on the avg mpg

·
Registered
96 Posts
Anyone else notice, at least early on, changes to their behavior since owning a 4xe? I’m only a month in and am definitely lighter accelerating as I try to maximize battery range and I am more aware of energy usage at home. I’m wondering if I could change my habits enough at home to keep my energy bill flat. Time will tell….
Since mine died when running the gas engine, I have been running in all-electric with the fear of god running in E-Save with <1% battery.

·
Registered
4xe Rubicon, AP1 S2000
58 Posts
So much of my driving is on local streets surrounding my house; school drop off and pick up, grocery store, that type of thing, so no need to do anything but part throttle on local residential streets. Should be all EV.

Then when I get out on the highways and interstates, POWAHHHH

·
Registered
72 Posts
Its been under a week and I drive like an old lady…when my MPG drops under 50 MPG I get pissed.

Though I finally pounded it today to merge and I’m going to have a tough time not doing that again.

·
Registered
2021 4xe Rubicon sting grey
66 Posts
Yeah...

I'm here for the fun of it all. Some days it's electric only for trips to the store etc... that novelty wore off pretty fast.

Most of the time I'm looking to unlock as much power as I possibly can. 0 to haul ass is a very different experience with this jeep.

My #1 reason for buying this is to have a 4 door offroad toy that I can take the family in.

We all have our motivations and idiosyncrasies with our new vehicle. The most important part is we all enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
24 Posts
On the High way, I push the gas pedal a lot sometimes because of the addicted 470Lbs torque!! so fun!!
Very gentle drive on local.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I've been getting 31-33+ all electric range and have ended with enough range left I could push 36/37. Being in Florida and not driving on the highway are big factors.

I basically use standard cruise control to match traffic patterns (to smooth out any oscillations in speed) and push button max regen to stop.

That's enough for me to get a full commute to work and side errands under full electric.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Absolutely. I'm two days into to owning this thing. So far, I've gone about 55 miles on battery and 0.8 on engine, my behavior change was pretty much instant. The only gas I used was when I was merging onto a semi-major road. It will not happen again.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I am really looking forward to getting mine and seeing what I can do. I am constantly trying to better my MPG on my 2019 Sport S JLU. With my commute (well, what was my commute before the last 16 months) I made the decision to get the 2.0L engine when I traded in my 2006 TJ stick, partially for the better gas mileage. in 26 months, i have averaged 21 MPG total and usually get ~26mpg on the highway. Since the majority of my daily driving is <25 miles I am hoping to blow the overall average MPG out of the water.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts