Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the gas engine turn on automatically below 30 degrees outside ? On auto start the gas ran and it’s 27 out ?

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have not noticed this, but I have noticed that I’ve lost a good 20% of battery range when the temperature drops below 40.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have not noticed this, but I have noticed that I’ve lost a good 20% of battery range when the temperature drops below 40.
Lots of battery range drop when cold. I don't know what it will be with the 4xe but if you're driving a Tesla on the highway in the winter, you can expect something like 40% less range than advertised.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Lots of battery range drop when cold. I don't know what it will be with the 4xe but if you're driving a Tesla on the highway in the winter, you can expect something like 40% less range than advertised.
40%???? Holy crap. I was not expecting that.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Rubicon, Bright White
35 Posts
I had a Nissan Leaf and in a typical PA Winter the Range was 50% of what I had in Summer. I see almost the same with my 4xe.In regards to the engine turning on, I noticed the same but I'm not sure if that related to temperature or the latest Software update. Fact is the Engine is running much more often. The other Day I got a "Fuel and Oil Regeneration Message" on the Dash and the engine was running for at least 15 miles. Interestingly it felt like it was disconnected from the Drivetrain...

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is some effect on the battery due to cold temperatures, but much of the difference in range is due to consumption of energy for heating the cabin. I can't find anything specific to the 4xe, but Car and Driver tested a Tesla Model 3 and found that the seat heaters and cabin heat on high pulled a total of about 8500 watts. If the 4xe heater and seat warmers are similar, then it would consume roughly 1/2 of the battery's usable 15 kwh in an hour of running on high.
ICE vehicles use waste heat from the engine for cabin heating, so their efficiency isn't affected by cold temperatures in any meaningful way.
A benefit of the 4xe heat being electric is that it is immediately available (versus shivering for the first 5-10 minutes of a winter drive in other vehicles).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does the gas engine turn on automatically below 30 degrees outside ? On auto start the gas ran and it’s 27 out ?
It's been under 30 degrees here in MN and we haven't had any issues with the jeep until now. Since this cold weather, the jeep has been refreshing the gas/oil daily and sometimes more. The electric will not go on so I am only using gas. Electric mode will not work. In Hybrid mode, its always using gas but at the same time the battery charge is dropping as well. Hopefully there is a fix otherwise I have a useless electric vehicle. On another note this week I have been using remote start and it is awesome!

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's been under 30 degrees here in MN and we haven't had any issues with the jeep until now. Since this cold weather, the jeep has been refreshing the gas/oil daily and sometimes more. The electric will not go on so I am only using gas. Electric mode will not work. In Hybrid mode, its always using gas but at the same time the battery charge is dropping as well. Hopefully there is a fix otherwise I have a useless electric vehicle. On another note this week I have been using remote start and it is awesome!
Are you using the Uconnect? Does it costs $15 a month?

·
Registered
115 Posts
10rubicon4xe are you parked outside overnight? My 4xe runs electric only at 29 degrees but parked inside garage at 45 degrees overnight. What happens if you top off your gas tank with ‘fresh’ gas. I wonder if that stops your ICE from turning on each time. Maybe your 4xe is really trying to refresh the gas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
10rubicon4xe are you parked outside overnight? My 4xe runs electric only at 29 degrees but parked inside garage at 45 degrees overnight. What happens if you top off your gas tank with ‘fresh’ gas. I wonder if that stops your ICE from turning on each time. Maybe your 4xe is really trying to refresh the gas.
It is parked inside, but it is not insulated so maybe 5-10 degrees warmer than outside. I did fill the tank which was half full. I just drove it yesterday for 150 miles no stops and the electric went on one time with a full charge. We will see how the trip back is on Sunday. Might be selling to someone in a warm climate if this is going to happen on a regular basis. It's in the thirties here but with the wind chill factor who knows. Might try one of those grill covers. Thanks for your response!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm in the mid-West so we are now approaching the time of year to test out the cold-weather use case. It is well documented that battery capability drops with low temperatures. Add to that the additional demand of the heater, heated steering and heated seats and this puts a big load on the battery. Gasoline engines produce a lot of waste heat which is good in colder climate situations, so I was thinking about 'forcing' the engine to run on cold starts by putting it into 'e-save' mode until the gas engine is warm and then running in 'hybrid' mode once the vehicle warms up. I believe engine coolant is circulated into the batteries so the engine heat should warm up the hybrid batteries and help. I also thought I read somewhere that 4xe will run conditioned coolant when plugged in to moderate the battery temps (people describe fans going off when the vehicle is parked and plugged in). I would be surprised if the same is not done for maintaining some heat in the batteries during cold weather, but this is just speculation on my part. If you truly are dissatisfied with your 4xe, you should have no trouble trading it in or reselling as demand is extremely high for the 4xe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cold weather conditions have been terrible for me. I am in Canada where cold winters are typical. In kilometres my jeep deteriorated from 40km on a full charge to as low as 30. I am talking about the green readout on your dash after you charge. Worse, the actual driving distance is no where near 39 km in cold weather. It is more like a horrific 20-22kms. When the temperatures get cold the car cannot even access Hybrid mode. Electric is out of the question. When I brought the jeep to the dealer they told me the deteriorated performance was because I had bigger tires on the car - 35s. What a scam! If anyone has any ideas how I can address this I’d sure appreciate it.

·
Registered
834 Posts
In kilometres my jeep deteriorated from 40km on a full charge to as low as 30.
It's only rated for 33-34km anyway, so at 30km you're not far off what you're supposed to get. Add in colder weather, higher hvac loads, and heavier/taller tires, and a reduction is to be expected.

EVs don't do well in the cold. That's one of the benefits of a PHEV... the vehicle can use the engine when the battery system isn't as well suited.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Cold weather conditions have been terrible for me. I am in Canada where cold winters are typical. In kilometres my jeep deteriorated from 40km on a full charge to as low as 30. I am talking about the green readout on your dash after you charge. Worse, the actual driving distance is no where near 39 km in cold weather. It is more like a horrific 20-22kms. When the temperatures get cold the car cannot even access Hybrid mode. Electric is out of the question. When I brought the jeep to the dealer they told me the deteriorated performance was because I had bigger tires on the car - 35s. What a scam! If anyone has any ideas how I can address this I’d sure appreciate it.
I’m not sure it’s a scam. EV range depletion in the cold is very well known in all EV cars. My wife’s range in her Bolt has gone from 240-260 miles to 170 and here it’s only been -4 to -8C.

Mixing scales to help and annoy all readers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m not sure it’s a scam. EV range depletion in the cold is very well known in all EV cars. My wife’s range in her Bolt has gone from 240-260 miles to 170 and here it’s only been -4 to -8C.

Mixing scales to help and annoy all readers.
Thanks for reply. I am just shocked because even with bigger tires. I was averaging 40-41kms on one charge. The driving performance was exactly what the dashboard distance said I would get. Now with colder weather and weather as high as 10 degrees, I am getting actual performance of around 20-25 kms a charge. To me this is horrific. I have 15000 kms on the vehicle. For the first 14k Jeep performed well with the larger tires. The fact that I cannot even access Hybrid mode in the colder weather is also horrible. I am very interested in knowing other drivers experiences.

·
Registered
834 Posts
To me this is horrific.
This is the reality of EVs in very cold climates. It's not uncommon to see people in Tesla's report a 40-50% range reduction in the cold, for example. Fortunately, you have the ICE to get you where you need to go. The benefit of a PHEV in that climate. You get to run EV when EV is more efficient and not when it isn't.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks for reply. I am just shocked because even with bigger tires. I was averaging 40-41kms on one charge. The driving performance was exactly what the dashboard distance said I would get. Now with colder weather and weather as high as 10 degrees, I am getting actual performance of around 20-25 kms a charge. To me this is horrific. I have 15000 kms on the vehicle. For the first 14k Jeep performed well with the larger tires. The fact that I cannot even access Hybrid mode in the colder weather is also horrible. I am very interested in knowing other drivers experiences.
It's not the 4xe but if you look at older PHEV cars like the Prius Prime, they have the same thing. Reduction by 1/3 to more in the cold months and for people in really cold places, no EV range at all.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Battery chemistry works best at temperatures our bodies prefer (maybe around 70-degrees F ideal). You cannot change the laws of physics. Turn off your fully charged iPhone and place it overnight outside in subzero temps then turn it on and keep using it outside without putting it in a warm pocket and see how long you can use it (if it even turns on?). In summer, have you ever put it on a hot dash to have it shut down automatically? Quit your crying and don’t hate on Apple or Jeep for not being able to change the laws of physics. If you can’t stand it, I’m sure you can trade in or sell outright in the spring and get another vehicle. You might break even or make money on the sale as others have reported given high demand and low inventories.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts