Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
When I saw that story over the weekend, I wondered if there was a charge in the battery for EV only operation. Don't know where the Jeep was driven from but hopefully the driver used eSave on the way to the White House.

3 BEVs and one PHEV and he picks the PHEV to drive. Sign of things to come? BEVs are far superior to PHEV in my opinion but public opinion might prefer PHEV. I know manufacturers do, they can build and sell 5 PHEVs for the same battery cell allocation as one BEV. In the whole scope of things, PHEV might be our most reasonable path to migrate away from combustion engine vehicles. If given a choice between 1 million additional BEVs on the road this time next year OR 5 million additional PHEVs.......I would wish for the PHEV choice.

Seems weird to think a PHEV might be better for the environment than BEV but it might play out that way. At least for the next 5-10 years or so....
???

·
Registered
367 Posts
When I saw that story over the weekend, I wondered if there was a charge in the battery for EV only operation. Don't know where the Jeep was driven from but hopefully the driver used eSave on the way to the White House.

3 BEVs and one PHEV and he picks the PHEV to drive. Sign of things to come? BEVs are far superior to PHEV in my opinion but public opinion might prefer PHEV. I know manufacturers do, they can build and sell 5 PHEVs for the same battery cell allocation as one BEV. In the whole scope of things, PHEV might be our most reasonable path to migrate away from combustion engine vehicles. If given a choice between 1 million additional BEVs on the road this time next year OR 5 million additional PHEVs.......I would wish for the PHEV choice.

Seems weird to think a PHEV might be better for the environment than BEV but it might play out that way. At least for the next 5-10 years or so....
???
The down side to PHEVs is their lifetime carbon footprint can be larger than either an ICE or an EV if the owner isn’t highly committed to electric operation. At the end of the assembly line, a PHEV has the largest footprint of all three. So you have to really focus on electric use to offset that. Some studies of owner behavior have picked up on owners developing a false sense of environmentalism because of the better gas mileage. Personally, this is why I keep a second charger installed at my Mom’s house and plug in every chance I get.

·
Registered
901 Posts

???
I didn't see the story, what were the other models? Perhaps he just wanted to drive a Rubicon. Sitting presidents don't get many opportunities to drive.

I also wouldn't be surprised if there were charging stations near or at the WH grounds.

I see PHEVs as mostly transitional until the electrical grid, and battery tech are able to meet the full demand.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This was that EV symposium the WH put on and didnt invite Tesla to because they're not unionized. Everything about this demented fraud is a show. I'm not a homer for any brand, though we're an FCA household. Just need to stay under 200k units until I can claim my tax credit. Then promote away!

·
Registered
258 Posts
This was that EV symposium the WH put on and didnt invite Tesla to because they're not unionized. Everything about this demented fraud is a show. I'm not a homer for any brand, though we're an FCA household. Just need to stay under 200k units until I can claim my tax credit. Then promote away!
I think the agenda there was to commit to 51/49% EV/ICE ratio in new car sales by 2030. Tesla is at 100/0% already.

·
Registered
88 Posts

???
The charging infrastructure is currently nowhere near capable of supporting EVs on a long distance road trip, with the possible except of Tesla's proprietary system. I just completed a roundtrip DC-Orlando and found only one accessible and functional station. Most are for customers/employees of a particular business. A few I didn't bother to look at because they were charging several times the cost of gas for a charge. Future competition may help that but right now they're out to rip off EV owners at almost 50 cents/KWt hr.

Further, I wouldn't want an all EV Jeep in any case. I plan to do some overlanding. Even with a much larger battery, the range would be too short. I can carry extra gas but I can't carry an extra battery,

We got the 4xe because of the power and because we can use electric almost exclusively when not traveling long distance. When we are traveling, we'll charge when we have the opportunity but I don't expect that to be very often for at least the next few years.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The charging infrastructure is currently nowhere near capable of supporting EVs on a long distance road trip, with the possible except of Tesla's proprietary system. I just completed a roundtrip DC-Orlando and found only one accessible and functional station. Most are for customers/employees of a particular business. A few I didn't bother to look at because they were charging several times the cost of gas for a charge. Future competition may help that but right now they're out to rip off EV owners at almost 50 cents/KWt hr.

Further, I wouldn't want an all EV Jeep in any case. I plan to do some overlanding. Even with a much larger battery, the range would be too short. I can carry extra gas but I can't carry an extra battery,

We got the 4xe because of the power and because we can use electric almost exclusively when not traveling long distance. When we are traveling, we'll charge when we have the opportunity but I don't expect that to be very often for at least the next few years.
Not so sure about that.. I can drive my Ford BEV all over the country.. DCFC is everywhere here in the desert southwest......except the high country where a Jeep is likely to go. I would consider a full battery Jeep when available.

Overlanding is a totally different story, BEV not ideal for sure (except for that trip Rivian did from tip of South America to Los Angeles...) Even an PHEV is a bad choice for overlanding IMO. Too much weight penalty and too small of a fuel tank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.