Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently bought the Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4XE on 7/7/21 and while making a run to the store last night it shut off while I was driving and D gear was flashing. I paid alot of money for this car and I haven’t even had it a month. I’m calling the dealership first thing in the morning and notifying (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) NHTSA because if I was on the highway who knows what could have happened!!! This is so dangerous!!@JeepCares I need help IMMEDIATELY!

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
74 Posts
Did you open the door while your seat belt was off?

I am wondering if your Jeep went into Autopark mode, which will switch you to park, even if you are in drive, but only if you open the door, while your seatbelt is off, and you are driving less than 2-3 mph.

This is a hated feature

If it seems like an electrical issue, you may want to try and reseat all your fuses and relays.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think I read a couple other threads where that has happened to others as well. I think one guy even said he was on the highway when it did it. I am curious about the auto park. I know it flashes but can you ever take it though a carwash? Or do you have to plug in the seatbelt in order for it to stay in neutral? Either way hopefully you get this issue taken care of. I got mine on 714 and luckily havent had any issues yet. I did check my fuses and relays twice. On the second time I still had some that Clicked when I pushed slightly harder than I did the first time.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It is a silly feature, you can disable it with the Z Automotive Tazer.

The 8 speed automatics are fly by wire, and that gear lever is just an electronic shifter, there is no mechanical inputs going to the transmission from the shift lever. So to bypass the Autopark logic, you need to go and update the software settings with a Z Automotive Tazer.

They know you will need to eventually disable Autopark, i.e. if it is being towed, or it needs to go through the car wash unattended. There is a mechanical disconnect. There is a thin plastic panel in front of the shift lever, there is an indent on the cap that you can stuff your key in and pry open the cap, inside you will find an orange nylon pull strap, pull it towards the drivers side and it will manually disable park. But be careful if you are on an incline the Jeep will be in neutral at this point, and will start rolling if brakes are not applied. Also I am not sure if car wash attendants will understand how to disable it after the Jeep comes out of the other end of the car wash. Best to go to car washes where you stay in the Jeep, and not to use the manual disable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you open the door while your seat belt was off?

I am wondering if your Jeep went into Autopark mode, which will switch you to park, even if you are in drive, but only if you open the door, while your seatbelt is off, and you are driving less than 2-3 mph.

This is a hated feature

If it seems like an electrical issue, you may want to try and reseat all your fuses and relays.
Thank you for responding. No I had my seat belt on and all the doors were closed. I went to the dealership this morning and the technician said the gear and the transmission are not communicating properly. He stated I will not have the car for 3 weeks. I just got this car too. :( I really hope they can fix it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I read a couple other threads where that has happened to others as well. I think one guy even said he was on the highway when it did it. I am curious about the auto park. I know it flashes but can you ever take it though a carwash? Or do you have to plug in the seatbelt in order for it to stay in neutral? Either way hopefully you get this issue taken care of. I got mine on 714 and luckily havent had any issues yet. I did check my fuses and relays twice. On the second time I still had some that Clicked when I pushed slightly harder than I did the first time.
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. Exactly! I have read other stories about it happening too and was very worried it would happen on the freeway. I didn't waste any time, I took it back to the dealership this morning and the tech told me the gear and the transmission are not communicating properly. So the transmission gets confused on if it in the right gear. He also stated I will not be able to drive the car for another 3 weeks. I just got the car on 7/7/21. I too also wonder about car washes! I haven't taken mine to one. I'm so happy to hear you have had no issues! :) Hopefully this can get resolved, I'm keeping faith lol it's my first Jeep ever and I really don't want to regret it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a silly feature, you can disable it with the Z Automotive Tazer.

The 8 speed automatics are fly by wire, and that gear lever is just an electronic shifter, there is no mechanical inputs going to the transmission from the shift lever. So to bypass the Autopark logic, you need to go and update the software settings with a Z Automotive Tazer.

They know you will need to eventually disable Autopark, i.e. if it is being towed, or it needs to go through the car wash unattended. There is a mechanical disconnect. There is a thin plastic panel in front of the shift lever, there is an indent on the cap that you can stuff your key in and pry open the cap, inside you will find an orange nylon pull strap, pull it towards the drivers side and it will manually disable park. But be careful if you are on an incline the Jeep will be in neutral at this point, and will start rolling if brakes are not applied. Also I am not sure if car wash attendants will understand how to disable it after the Jeep comes out of the other end of the car wash. Best to go to car washes where you stay in the Jeep, and not to use the manual disable.
Thank you for taking the time to respond! Wow, a lot of useful info! I learned something new when you stated there is no mechanical inputs going to the transmission. Because I was advised today by the technician at the dealership the gear shift and the transmission are not communicating properly. I do want to disable the auto park but I do not know much about how to do that. I did see in another thread about the mechanical disconnect. I did even know about it! Also, I haven't even taken it to the car wash but I want to. So do I manually disable auto park to take it through the car wash?

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Rubicon
3 Posts
I've experienced this too in my driveway when driving with the door slightly ajar. Jeep will completely stop and feels out of gear. I put it in Park and shut if off and restart and all is OK. How can we drive with the doors off if there is a link with the doors ajar and Drive mode?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I will try it, but the algorithm to put your Jeep in Autopark is; transmission in drive or neutral mode + drivers seatbelt off + drivers door open + less than 3 miles per hour = Autopark

I assume when you disconnect the wires to the drivers door when you remove the door, the system just takes the drivers door out of the equation.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I recently bought the Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4XE on 7/7/21 and while making a run to the store last night it shut off while I was driving and D gear was flashing. I paid alot of money for this car and I haven’t even had it a month. I’m calling the dealership first thing in the morning and notifying (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) NHTSA because if I was on the highway who knows what could have happened!!! This is so dangerous!!@JeepCares I need help IMMEDIATELY!
We appreciate you tagging us here. So we can discuss with you further, please send a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
40 Posts
This happened to my fiance the other day while she was driving home on the freeway. I got a message on UConnect saying Charging Fault Error when it happened. She said the Jeep shut off and came to a screeching halt while she was driving on the freeway and almost caused a major accident. I have been in touch with Frank from FCA in Detroit and he has been of very little help. He seems to care only about Jeep's interests, and has very little interest actually safeguarding Jeep customers.

I have worked with him for months now, ever since I bought the Jeep. We've experience so many potentially life threatening issues with this 2021 Jeep 4XE since we've owned it, and Frank seems to think its no big deal and I should be willing to keep letting my fiance drive it 120 miles round trip each day.

ABS module failed and had to be replaced.
Ball joints had to be replaced and/or tightened on the swing arms.
Now Charging Fault Error on the Jeep caused it to shut off on the freeway.

Over 30 days in the shop and they put us in a minivan....they refuse to buy back this Lemon that they sold us. Frank told me they do not do buybacks at Jeep and the only way is to go through arbitration, which he refused to give me additional details on.

This company only cares about money. I am going back to Subaru.

·
Registered
74 Posts
These charging fault errors commonly point to a EV harness issue. Either a short, or bad connection somewhere in that EV harness.

I am sorry this happened to you, and I hope you get this resolved soon, or your money back on the Jeep.

The pandemic has caused supply chain shortages worldwide, and that is part of everyones frustrations. People waiting for their new 4xe’s, and people waiting for parts to fix the first year assembly problems of those 4xe Jeep’s.

I think Jeep needs to unfortunately slow down, and maybe cancel some 2021 production, to utilize parts that were supposed to go to those Jeep’s to fix problems immediately, with the already sold Jeep’s. I understand on one hand, the company needs to prioritize profits by producing more Jeeps, and keep people employed on those assembly lines, but there must be a way to also prioritize parts for those Jeep’s that have been sold, but have been assembled wrongly. These Hybrids entered another area of the consumers vehicle use spectrum, when they went Hybrid, and instead of being someone’s “fun” car they have been purchased to get people to work as commuter cars. There is now a different consumer that Jeep needs to work with, that places a lot of their purchasing dollars on prioritizing reliability and safety with a Hybrid.

Jeep can make massive in-roads with those consumers, by determining and fixing the problems quickly, or really risk losing a lot of sales on future 4xe sales across all models with that key group.

·
Registered
610 Posts
ABS module failed and had to be replaced.
Ball joints had to be replaced and/or tightened on the swing arms.
Now Charging Fault Error on the Jeep caused it to shut off on the freeway.

Over 30 days in the shop and they put us in a minivan....they refuse to buy back this Lemon that they sold us. Frank told me they do not do buybacks at Jeep and the only way is to go through arbitration, which he refused to give me additional details on.

This company only cares about money. I am going back to Subaru.
I don't think the shutdown was caused by a charging fault. I think it just throws the charging fault error after it enters shutdown mode. The jeeps safe mode seems to be to kill the throttle. It's not 4xe specific.

Mine happened from getting into a disagreement with Adaptive Cruise Control that caused the ECU to turn off.

It's in service today to get the issue looked at. I know it can't get fixed right away as it's likely software that needs to be tested, fixed, and tested.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Does the Adaptive Cruise Control issue show up as a charging fault error? If so, it seems like a catch all for many types of issues?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello everyone. Just thought id mention it would be a very good idea to report these incidences to help your peers avoid the same problem in the future. Many of us will be driving our 4Xe with children and if there is a problem it should be addressed accordingly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts