Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, (I could not find an existing thread, if there is one, please remove this)
I know this is a contested issue, with some saying "baby it" while others say "drive it like you stole it".

Curious what the recent recipients did to "Break in" their new 4xes.

Mine is at the dealer and I am giddy waiting for them to release it (waiting on DMV paperwork). With that being said, I remember reading a little on this, and want to make sure I do not mess something up due to my ignorance.

Did anyone run it in ESave to just work the motor? How fast did you take it in the first 100 miles? Debating thruway to get home or if I am going town to town. Also, debating if I need to plan some travel time to get some miles on the 4xe.

Appreciate any input you all can offer.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think it's the usual don't drive at the same RPM for too long, don't lug the engine, do some hard (but not full on WOT) to get some RPMS in.

I had a 200 mile drive from the dealer, so I didn't have a choice. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Modern day cars do not need to be broken in. If you are really worried drive it like you stole it then have the engine oil changed at 500 miles.

All these cars are tested at the factory and filled with synthetic oil. Stop with the break in. It is an old school way of thinking.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
158 Posts
I have been running in e-save mode to run the engine and burn through some gas.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Modern day cars do not need to be broken in. If you are really worried drive it like you stole it then have the engine oil changed at 500 miles.

All these cars are tested at the factory and filled with synthetic oil. Stop with the break in. It is an old school way of thinking.

A friend of my brothers had a motorcycle that had a break in period. He wasn't supposed to exceed a certain RPM for any amount of time. When he had an engine issue, they pulled some data that showed them he had greatly exceeded the RPM level during the break in period. It created issues. I would speculate that if we drove it like we stole it in the early life of the engine they could see that in some sort of data. I'd rather patiently get through that period than to risk creating issues down the road.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I trailed mine in a sea of sugar sand (somewhat by accident) after a week (and it's only a stock Sahara). Looking back it was a bit much. But I think it's a much more capable vehicle than it's driver is capable of.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had mine for a couple of weeks now. I agree that you don't need to "break in" vehicles these days.
@Wrangler4XEFan - what did you mean by "the manual says 300 miles"? For what?

The first thing I did 2 days after bringing mine home was drive an hour on the highway outside of the city and dive into the trails. (I was curious to see how the torque difference was).
I'm confident it will be fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Why are there (poorly written) break-in instructions in the manual?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes the manual makes it sound like you possibly shouldn’t exceed 50-55 mph for 60 miles??
Mine had more than that on it when I bought it and I promise it was the sales guys at the Jeep dealer driving it like a rental car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 11 of 11 Posts