Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone bringing extra fuel along on their 4XE? How are you doing it? Anyone keep them inside the Jeep itself? Always worried about those walking away. Looking for ideas. I drive in really remote areas with power and gas stations few and far between. When I had a pickup I'd bring an extra 30 gal in jerry cans and put them in the bed - not looking to carry that much in the Jeep though. I'll be driving in rural Canada on the way home from picking up the Jeep in the lower 48 and will have to dry camp in it on the way home. And then this summer my son and his girlfriend are driving around the state... So extra fuel on board would be at least handy, if not, really needed.

I have some ideas, but don't want to pigeon hole the responses...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What will be your max range you need to cover?

That drive sounds wonderful.
Done the drive 9 times - it's incredible every time I do the drive. I try going a different way each time too -of course at one point the only road is the Alaska-Canada Highway (AlCan).

Really even an extra 5 gal would be great. I still remember one of the first drives the wife and I did - we pulled into a gas station and they said, sorry we have no gas, it's coming, but it won't be here until next week. I have OCD when it comes to fuel capacity so were we able to drive another roughly 100 miles to get fuel.

·
Registered
21 Rubicon 4xe
33 Posts
Rock Slide Engineering has an EZ Rack that mounts to the spare. You could put a Rotopax or two on that, I think they have a 3 or 3.5 gallon version.

·
Registered
4 Posts
They make fuel carriers that attach to the spare, but the added weight with the leverage can crack the spare tire holder.
A company makes a fuel tank that attaches behind the spare wheel. So the weight is fine, but doesn’t hold a lot of fuel, like 3 or 5 gallons.
If you have a hard top, someone makes a lot to attach a couple rotopax over the windows.
Others get a gobi rack and put it up there.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Done the drive 9 times - it's incredible every time I do the drive. I try going a different way each time too -of course at one point the only road is the Alaska-Canada Highway (AlCan).

Really even an extra 5 gal would be great. I still remember one of the first drives the wife and I did - we pulled into a gas station and they said, sorry we have no gas, it's coming, but it won't be here until next week. I have OCD when it comes to fuel capacity so were we able to drive another roughly 100 miles to get fuel.
The most worried I've ever been was driving through Montana. Any time there were crossroads, it was usually only a dive bar as the only thing in sight. We eventually came across a gas station late at night. It was closed but the pumps still worked.

Around where I live I'm not sure they leave the pumps on when nobody is around.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. The upper Midwest and mountain states can be difficult to find fuel at too. Common for pumps to work with no station attendant around. I learned to check the pumps itself.

I was leaning towards rotopax and rear tire mount. A lot of this will depend on what I can find in stock when I get to the L48. Any good Jeep accessory places? I'll literally be criss crossing the US.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts