Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well this is turning into a bit of a nightmare.

Open circuit in the charge port diagnosed last week, unsure if that has anything to do with this latest problem.

I'm American, but I've rented a cabin in Quebec for a bit of productive solitude. Haven't been able to plug my Jeep in because the charge port is busted and backordered. This morning I went out to the Jeep after it sat for 2 days in a cold snap and the following sequence happened:

Press "Start", Jeep says "Key Fob not found" (it was in my pocket). I take it out and press "unlock". Message changes to "press start button with key fob", which I did.

This sets off a bit of chaos, with relays clicking like crazy and the dash lights flickering on and off like an old neon sign. The lights on the gear selector were also flashing and going crazy... then... nothing.

Dead. Completely unresponsive.

I call JeepWave, and told them I'm about 7 miles from a dealer here in Canada. I want to know how my warranty will work here in Canada. They say service here in Canada will NOT be covered. They say I must tow it across the border to a dealer in Vermont if I want to ensure it'll be covered, and then MAYBE my towing will be reimbursed.

Problem of course being, COVID. I haven't been able to find a provider willing to tow this thing across the border, likely because that means American drivers need a PCR test to enter Canada and Canadian drivers need one to re-enter. Dealer in VT also called around for me, and no takers.

So I look up my warranty language, and I find this:

If Your Vehicle Leaves the U.S. or Canada:
"Except as required by law, Chrysler Motors won't provide warranty coverage for vehicles exported from the U.S. to other countries by anyone other than Chrysler Motors, unless the vehicle is registered and normally used in the U.S. or Canada. But the Basic Warranty does cover a vehicle registered to a U.S. government official or military personnel on assignment. A vehicle registered and operated in a U.S. possession or U.S. territory is covered by all applicable U.S. warranties." (emphasis mine).

Am I nuts or does that read like I should be covered here? Jeep Customer Care says nope, and there is nothing they can do for me.

So I'm stuck. Quite literally. I'm in a cabin up here where temps are forecasted to drop into the negatives and the Jeep is dead. I have yet to find a cross-border tow and I am NOT keen to send this hybrid system to a dealer where the warranty won't cover it. I'm hoping it's just a 12V problem, but the way the thing had a seizure before it died I'm concerned about a melted PIM harness or something deeper that might be related to whatever caused the charge port to fry last week.

Ugh.

I never wanted to become a board ranter. Just incredibly frustrated. I understand problems happen with new tech. I came into this thinking it could. I'm ok with service visits and gremlins. I am not ok with a lack of support when I'm stranded.

Anyway, let this be a warning for cross-border travel. Has anyone had a similar problem with an electronic seizure / symphony of lights and then totally dead?

·
Registered
834 Posts
On the bright side, what you're describing does sound a lot like what a low voltage condition on the 12v battery would do.

I recall seeing a thread on jlforum about someone in a similar situation to you (they were visiting mexico) and the language of the warranty sure made it sound like they were covered.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Probably be in the same situation regardless of the type of vehicle (it's not a 4xe thing). Sounds like your options are to get it fixed locally and pay out of pocket and try to get reimbursed when you get back or keep trying to tow it back across the border.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably be in the same situation regardless of the type of vehicle (it's not a 4xe thing). Sounds like your options are to get it fixed locally and pay out of pocket and try to get reimbursed when you get back or keep trying to tow it back across the border.
Except that in my 25 years of driving, no new car has ever left me stranded. Our household has owned 5 other early-adopted EVs as well, and they always got us where we needed to go.

Now there are two 4XEs in the household and both of them have had multiple problems under 7,000 miles.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Poor 12v batteries (assuming that ends up being what the problem is) seem to be an issue that plagues fca products. Kinda like the loose fuses... amazing how such simple things end up getting presumably farmed to the lowest bidder and cause so many problems.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Poor 12v batteries (assuming that ends up being what the problem is) seem to be an issue that plagues fca products. Kinda like the loose fuses... amazing how such simple things end up getting presumably farmed to the lowest bidder and cause so many problems.
Agreed. I tried to do everything right in that regard, I checked my fuses before driving away from the dealer (and check them periodically).

While I’m losing faith in this product, it can be fixed. The bigger damage done today was my relationship with Jeep.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Except that in my 25 years of driving, no new car has ever left me stranded. Our household has owned 5 other early-adopted EVs as well, and they always got us where we needed to go.

Now there are two 4XEs in the household and both of them have had multiple problems under 7,000 miles.
Wow that’s frustrating to say the least.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Supposed to be around -20 up there tonight. I’m heading to Jay Peak tomorrow but I’m driving my Denali since it’s going to be too cold that I don’t trust the Jeep without knowing I can definitely plug it is somewhere. i wish I could help in someway but unsure what I could do.

·
Registered
131 Posts
That really sucks. Jeep should expect adventure vehicles to end up everywhere and warranty just the same so long as there is local brand service available. Why word things like that and make you feel covered only to leave you up sh!t$ creek?

Perhaps a independent transport company could take on the job and stick the Jeep on a low boy or something . If nobody is willing to tow you or transport you might have to tow to the border and push the frigging Jeep across it and call a US tow from there.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That really sucks. Jeep should expect adventure vehicles to end up everywhere and warranty just the same so long as there is local brand service available. Why word things like that and make you feel covered only to leave you up sh!t$ creek?

Perhaps a independent transport company could take on the job and stick the Jeep on a low boy or something . If nobody is willing to tow you or transport you might have to tow to the border and push the frigging Jeep across it and call a US tow from there.
The adventure thing really gets me, I’m using this thing as intended. i had been considering a drive from here down to Moab. White Rim Trail has been on my list. I just don’t trust it for something like that now.

The tow-to-the-border and push definitely crossed my mind. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The adventure thing really gets me, I’m using this thing as intended. i had been considering a drive from here down to Moab. White Rim Trail has been on my list. I just don’t trust it for something like that now.

The tow-to-the-border and push definitely crossed my mind. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that.
I would be feeling the same way. If it actually comes to pushing it across you better film the whole experience! Good luck, hope things turn around in this situation for you.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
893 Posts
I don’t think I would have risked taking the Jeep that’s broken into a cabin in the woods in Canada. Where temps are supposed to be cold. You kinda perfect stormed yourself.
Edit: Go buy a new 12v battery and install it. Cheapest fix you got right now.

·
Registered
116 Posts
have you tried jumping it? 2 days ago my 12v in the RAM went dead and after jumping it went to all kind of bat shit crazy mode. this is the problem with new vehicles, back in old days you could jump it and drive around to recharge the battery - now? nope, you jump it, and let it sit there with a running engine for an hour or more so that the ECU can decide it will let you out of first gear.

anyway, get a new battery. OEM battery sucks and hopefully thats it

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
have you tried jumping it? 2 days ago my 12v in the RAM went dead and after jumping it went to all kind of bat shit crazy mode. this is the problem with new vehicles, back in old days you could jump it and drive around to recharge the battery - now? nope, you jump it, and let it sit there with a running engine for an hour or more so that the ECU can decide it will let you out of first gear.

anyway, get a new battery. OEM battery sucks and hopefully thats it
I tried jumping it and definitely got that bat shit crazy mode, it was throwing every error in the book at me. Engine wouldn’t run however and as soon as I pulled the cables offit immediately shut down.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I tried jumping it and definitely got that bat shit crazy mode
I had the exact same thing happen with a range rover evoque. Electronics went crazy, gave tons of errors, etc. What seems to happen is the 12v battery dies and has just enough juice to bring the computers to life, but they start up in an under voltage condition so all sorts of things don't work properly. A new battery solved the issue.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
893 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen with a range rover evoque. Electronics went crazy, gave tons of errors, etc. What seems to happen is the 12v battery dies and has just enough juice to bring the computers to life, but they start up in an under voltage condition so all sorts of things don't work properly. A new battery solved the issue.
I mean, it’s worth a try right?? Cheapest fix to this Cluster I see.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I mean, it’s worth a try right?? Cheapest fix to this Cluster I see.
Part of the problem is I don’t have another vehicle to go buy a battery, and part of the problem is it might not be the problem. These batteries are ~350 cdn, so it might actually be cheaper to tow it assuming I can find someone to do that.

I may have found a tow company willing to haul it across but they only have one guy with the right paperwork and he only works weekends. Dealer service isn’t open on weekends at the closest U.S. place. I need to be with the rig at the border, which means I need service to be open when I arrive with the tow vehicle so I can grab a loaner from there.

Tow company is waiting to hear if this guy will take the job on his day off. That’s where I’m at currently.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would be feeling the same way. If it actually comes to pushing it across you better film the whole experience! Good luck, hope things turn around in this situation for you.
Update on this for the curious. I called the border and they won’t allow a handoff from one truck to another. Canadian truck would have to cross, drive a mile up the road and dump it for an American truck. At that point they’ve already crossed so they might as well take it the extra ~9 miles to the Jeep dealer. No hilarious photo opp, unfortunately.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts