Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
21 - 40 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'd be curious if you had tools to bring the battery inside and let it warm up then put it back in if it would start. The cold does bad stuff to batteries.

But for the next 36hrs it's going to be subzero cold up there.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Update on this for the curious. I called the border and they won’t allow a handoff from one truck to another. Canadian truck would have to cross, drive a mile up the road and dump it for an American truck. At that point they’ve already crossed so they might as well take it the extra ~9 miles to the Jeep dealer. No hilarious photo opp, unfortunately.
Well that certainly sucks but honestly not surprised. What a situation. Jeep really should not be putting you in a pickle like this. I think Shakes and company are right. Probably have to bite the bullet, buy the battery local and hope for some kind of reimbursement.....

Maybe buy a charger and see if you can bring the battery back to life....?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Most auto parts stores, at least in the states, will toss your battery on their charger/load tester for free.

Obviously that doesn't solve the whole getting to the autoparts store problem.

·
Registered
| 2012 JKU Sahara | 2021 4xe Sahara |
144 Posts
Are you able to check with Costco? I buy Costco 12v battery for my vehicles for their no hassle warranty. Each time they’re 100% good with doing a full, i.e., free, exchange of a dead/bad battery (without testing/checking to see if it is bad, they only verify purchase date from membership records scanning it in) within 4 years, then prorated for years beyond that up to something like 8-9 years when it works itself down to zero % back. Also in this past November, I exchanged my bad 12v (had for about 4 years) from my 2012 JKU, it was marked at ~CA$140 (Kirkland brand) but costed me nothing. This is in-store pricing. Not sure how much is marked up buying online but usually within $30. AGM would be a non Costco brand usually with a little less coverage for warranty, but looking at the hybrid one, seems good/better…

For the hybrid, seems it’s Energizer branded AGM with a 5 year warranty, 100 month prorated:

Product Font Line Material property Rectangle

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
That's a good start
Let's hope that's exactly what it yields.

Honestly even if the battery issue was solved right now it almost certainly wouldn't start. It's -2 with a -30 wind chill and my charge port is still busted and backordered so the big battery can't condition.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Let's hope that's exactly what it yields.

Honestly even if the battery issue was solved right now it almost certainly wouldn't start. It's -2 with a -30 wind chill and my charge port is still busted and backordered so the big battery can't condition.
At -2, you should be fine. Wind chill doesn't really make a difference.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Quebec, Canada here….. i called my dealer for you and said it is cover under warranty…. My dealer in Montreal city …. If you can tow direct message me and I am happy to help…and welcome to Canada bro!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Quebec, Canada here….. i called my dealer for you and said it is cover under warranty…. My dealer in Montreal city …. If you can tow direct message me and I am happy to help…and welcome to Canada bro!
Just to add my Dealer confirmed that they can deal with Jeep and you don’t need to pay a penny… except that you need get towing reimbursed from FCA directly. Cheers Sam

·
Registered
121 Posts
That’s super nice of you! Way to go👌🏻
We need to take care of our neighbours when visiting us !!
Just waiting for our friend to message me so I can provide him with dealer contract /details…. it is about an hour and 30 drive from sherbrooke, so not the best option. The other solution, I feel any other dealer in Canada will accommodate, just call the dealer to verify using the VIN and don’t mention that you spoke to shitty Jeep customer care…..dealer will know in advance if they can direct bill FCA….. I am 99% sure that Any other dealer can tell you in advance. My dealer is not the best dealer in town and they said they accept USA clients all time with zero issues. Btw , if you need help with French also just let me know we can speak to the dealer for you,,
Message me And I can provide you my cell number.

All the best !

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
The Saga continues. CAA brought my battery back (measured it at 6V before giving it an overnight charge) but the Jeep still won’t start. Electronics are now on, but no engine. Also, weirdly, the halo lights are not turning off, even when the Jeep is off and locked. Getting charge system faults. So It’s going to get a tow… somewhere. Thanks so much for @SamCanada for putting me on the right path, will attempt to find a Canadian dealer to bring it to on Monday.

·
Registered
885 Posts
The Saga continues. CAA brought my battery back (measured it at 6V before giving it an overnight charge) but the Jeep still won’t start. Electronics are now on, but no engine. Also, weirdly, the halo lights are not turning off, even when the Jeep is off and locked. Getting charge system faults. So It’s going to get a tow… somewhere. Thanks so much for @SamCanada for putting me on the right path, will attempt to find a Canadian dealer to bring it to on Monday.
Did they say if it was holding a charge under load? The fact that it was at 6v is a good indicator it was drained and if it wasn't holding a charge under loaf, it wouldn't surprise me if it was doing what you're describing.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
920 Posts
Did they say if it was holding a charge under load? The fact that it was at 6v is a good indicator it was drained and if it wasn't holding a charge under loaf, it wouldn't surprise me if it was doing what you're describing.
Which is why I suggested new 12v battery.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Which is why I suggested new 12v battery.
Unfortunately nobody stocks this battery outside of dealers. Not around here anyway. Checked auto parts stores, Costco and Walmart. Didn’t have alternative transportation until today, and dealer parts/service are closed now until Monday. The reason I called CAA to begin with was for their on-site battery replacement service, easier than me taking a long taxi into town and renting a car to find one. They didn’t stock the battery and couldn’t find one, which is why they tried the recharge. I’ve ended up renting that car anyway, to look myself and because I’m running out of food lol.

21 - 40 of 104 Posts