Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suggest to all that you ensure the title information for your new 4xe is being submitted/written up as a “plug in” hybrid. Otherwise, you may miss out on some perks!

I live in GA, where plug in hybrids are eligible to ride “free” in the HOV and express lanes (with a special Alternative Fuel Vehicle tag and annual fee.)

Yesterday, I showed up at my local tag office all excited to get my tag only to be told my vehicle was not eligible because the dealership did not submit it as a “plug in” for the title. Now I have to decide if it’s worth calling and dealing with the dealer to try to get this fixed. Save yourself the trouble and make sure this is correct!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I suggest to all that you ensure the title information for your new 4xe is being submitted/written up as a “plug in” hybrid. Otherwise, you may miss out on some perks!

I live in GA, where plug in hybrids are eligible to ride “free” in the HOV and express lanes (with a special Alternative Fuel Vehicle tag and annual fee.)

Yesterday, I showed up at my local tag office all excited to get my tag only to be told my vehicle was not eligible because the dealership did not submit it as a “plug in” for the title. Now I have to decide if it’s worth calling and dealing with the dealer to try to get this fixed. Save yourself the trouble and make sure this is correct!
Doesn’t the MVD know what type of vehicle it is from the VIN automatically?

·
Registered
2021 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doesn’t the MVD know what type of vehicle it is from the VIN automatically?
That’s a great question. I can only assume this a matter of one box on some official document not being checked, so legally they couldn’t comply.

·
Registered
188 Posts
In AZ, not all plug in vehicles qualify for the reduced registration rates and HOV access. They did at one time but over the years the requirements changed so PHEVs don't qualify any longer here. :(

·
Registered
90 Posts
@LunaJeep
Good PSA post.
How much is the additional fee for the special plates and would you use the benefits versus the added cost?

In Ohio, having that PHEV box checked gets us the honor of paying the State an additional $200 every year for driving electric on top of the standard annual plate fee, but they go by the VIN info anyhow.

·
Registered
2021 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@LunaJeep
Good PSA post.
How much is the additional fee for the special plates and would you use the benefits versus the added cost?

In Ohio, having that PHEV box checked gets us the honor of paying the State an additional $200 every year for driving electric on top of the standard annual plate fee, but they go by the VIN info anyhow.
It's an annual feel of $35 for the special plate. So not too bad if you're a road warrior/commuter that's on the interstates a lot in the Atlanta area where there is tons of traffic.

I could have to pay a $200 fee however, to change the information on my title. And that is where I'm not sure it IS worth the extra cost.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts