Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
White Ruby
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I guess I have a fully electric now!

Haven’t put gas in yet at almost 700 miles, but figured I’d top off now that I’m at a quarter tank. So I went to fill up, hit the open gas cover button, it opened after a few seconds. Went to take off the cap and it just clicks. No way to get it to come lose.

I’m afraid to get to rough with it given it has to make a proper seal etc. Any thoughts other then “take to dealer”?

·
Registered
613 Posts
It should come off like any normal gas cap. I drove 3,000 miles the past two weeks, mostly on hybrid. So I got to know that gas cap really well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well that's the damndest thing. That should literally just pop right off. I don't want to be a smartass, but have you tried turning it clockwise? Yes, I know, it's supposed to come off counter-clockwise, but figure it can't hurt to suggest and only saw you turning it counter clockwise in the video.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had a 2008 BMW several years ago and the gas cap seized to the filler tube. I was traveling away from home, so ended up having to drive to a hardware store, buy a large adjustable wrench, and ended up breaking the cap into pieces. Once it was breached and vacuum was released, it easily screwed off. Of course I needed to buy a new cap ASAP.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Isn't the trunk release just for the outer door? Perhaps it's still under pressure.

I'd at least give the inside release a try but may be better to let the service department figure it out while it can be reproduced.

·
Registered
White Ruby
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Success!

I think it was still under pressure or just jammed really hard.

Turns out the gas cap is made of a cover, a spring, and 2 circular pieces of plastic. Ask me how I know:LOL:

·
Registered
107 Posts
So I guess I have a fully electric now!

Haven’t put gas in yet at almost 700 miles, but figured I’d top off now that I’m at a quarter tank. So I went to fill up, hit the open gas cover button, it opened after a few seconds. Went to take off the cap and it just clicks. No way to get it to come lose.

I’m afraid to get to rough with it given it has to make a proper seal etc. Any thoughts other then “take to dealer”?
Damn those fuses are causing all kinds of problems

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
524 Posts
Glad you got it. I was gonna suggest the pressing in while turning.
Did it just pull off or did it actually work correctly and release??

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just curious - anyone know why they are using a lockable gas cover for the 4XE? My 2020 Wrangler gas cap (and all others) were just open to the world. Is it due to more gas theft security?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just curious - anyone know why they are using a lockable gas cover for the 4XE? My 2020 Wrangler gas cap (and all others) were just open to the world. Is it due to more gas theft security?
It has to do with the gas tank being under pressure. So when you release the cover, the Jeep releases that pressure and when it determines it is safe the cover opens. There is an Ask the Expert video by Wrangler4xeFans that discusses this.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yeah, due to the electric engine and the chance you don’t use gas all that often, the tank is pressurized to keep the gas “fresher” longer. The cover is so you don’t try and open the cap until it has been depressirized

1 - 20 of 26 Posts