Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ordered a new 2022 Rubicon 4xe and I plan to flat tow it behind my RV. I will be purchasing an entirely new towing and supplemental braking system once I receive the Jeep since I have never flat towed anything behind my RV before. It's my understanding the standard 12 volt battery in the Jeep can be charged through the RVs 12 volt system while connected, but what about the Jeep's main EV battery? Has anyone attempted to do this before or know if it can be done? Does it make sense to do this? It would be very convenient on long trips to be able to charge the EV battery for several hours while on the road, even if it's a relatively small amount, it's still better than nothing.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The DC to DC converter is a one way street. It only goes high voltage to low voltage. So you can’t charge the high voltage battery through the 12 volt system.

I know of one RV owner that can charge his 4XE off his generator. He has pictures of it plugged in abs charging while connected to the RV. I don’t know if he drives around like that or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What you're saying makes sense and I didn't think there was an easy way to do it, but I thought maybe someone had created an ingenious method. Hooking up the EV to the RVs 110V while driving is an interesting concept, since summer trips require us to run the generator during High temps outside for the AC, although most likely requires some involved wiring. That might not be worth the hassle since we don't always run the generator while we're driving so the amount of charge would be minimal at best.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ford recently filed a patent for a system that charges an EV while in tow. It uses the traction motor to charge the HVB. Pretty much just like regenerative braking. The difficulty there is managing the thermal gain because harvesting energy from regeneration can cause systems to over heat.

I think the guy from Engineering Explained charged his Tesla by towing it so it would probably work in the 4xe if you left it in ready mode and fixed the computer so it wouldn't time out. Seems risky though. Too many bad things could happen. I wouldn't try it because it isn't worth the risk IMO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I could see the need dry camping, but if I was planning to pay to park in an RV spot, I'd use the pedestal electricity to charge overnight.
That is exactly why I saw the need because we dry camp more than half the time for several days on end. We tend to stay at RV parks as an overnighter on our way to our next destination as a place to 'refuel' and clean up before our next 2 to 3 days of dry camping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts