Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I previously owned a 2018 Rubicon JL which had the premium Alpine system and it.sounded.amazing.

Getting my Sahara 4xE with the (a big assumption by me I am now guessing) Alpine premium system sounds completely different. It is more flat, tinny and dated sounding. The Rubicon was so robust and immersive. It felt premium, The Sahara I feel like I need to find the base boost button on the dual deck cassette player…. Anyone else gone from one to other and notice a difference?

·
Registered
901 Posts
The SiriusXM audio quality is terrible, make sure to not judge against that source. It holds the sound back, which becomes "okay" quality. I've found it too base biased when the eq is flat. It also lacks some crisp highs. Some people do tweeter upgrades to fix that.

My previous vehicle had comparable audio but sounded much better on SiriusXM. I'm not exactly sure why that would be the case - Sirius module, DSP corrections?

·
Registered
16 Posts
No, I'm running Tidal Master quality through it or FLAC lossless and it sounds worse than standard HD FM. The speakers pop on somethings... but always sound tinny in small up front. It's a terrible audio system. The only upgrade I saw was MB Quartz but it didn't say that was for the 4xe...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Idk words like terrible don't seem accurate. Wonder if there's different levels of audio. My Sierra sounds great - also understanding it's a Jeep with speakers hanging off the roll bar and with a thin roof, etc. Sounds comparable to other car premium sound systems. But I certainly wouldn't call it bad or terrible.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Idk words like terrible don't seem accurate. Wonder if there's different levels of audio. My Sierra sounds great - also understanding it's a Jeep with speakers hanging off the roll bar and with a thin roof, etc. Sounds comparable to other car premium sound systems. But I certainly wouldn't call it bad or terrible.
You have to consider the context. Terrible is in regard to the claim as a premium upgraded sound system. When you run lossless audio into it-- the speakers literally pop and hiss because they can't handle the frequency. If you run tidal master quality into it, it's just thin and the bass is either non existent or boomy and muddy depending on the music. I'm not angry about it. I LOVE my 4xe. But eager for an upgrade when somebody is aware of one.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would be keen on an upgrade when something reasonably plug and play is available.

The sound is good, I’m fine with it but I do feel something is missing.

On the flip side, and it’s not just keep, I’ve never understood why car manufacturers cheap out on premium audio systems. If customers want to pay more than give the people what they want!

I am not an audiophile but I do love cranking out the tunes, especially in this Jeep - life at its best!

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1,213 Posts
I think it sounds great. Pretty much only play music off my phone but XM sounds fine to me too. Sounds better than many new cars I’ve been in. I get that some of you are into the car audio thing, and that’s cool, but for 99% of the people considering buying a new Jeep… The Alpine System is great. Really, it sounds great.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The SiriusXM audio quality is terrible, make sure to not judge against that source. It holds the sound back, which becomes "okay" quality. I've found it too base biased when the eq is flat. It also lacks some crisp highs. Some people do tweeter upgrades to fix that.

My previous vehicle had comparable audio but sounded much better on SiriusXM. I'm not exactly sure why that would be the case - Sirius module, DSP corrections?
It’s not just XM for me. I listen to the same rotation of music (I’m old) on my iPhone over and over. I know what it did sound like and what it does sound like now. It isn’t the worst ever but just bummed it isn’t as good as my JL for whatever reason.

·
Registered
4xe Rubicon, AP1 S2000
83 Posts
I have had Alpine in my 2018 JL Sport (7” screen) and now in my 2021 Rubicon 4xe. Both sound good to great to me. No difference between systems except the gain seems lower on the Rubi (used to not listen over 15 in the Sport, in the Rubi max is like 22 for me). I listen only to wired Spotify on my iPhone.

My other references are my S2000 with an Alpine deck, JBL amp and Polk components, and my wife’s 2022 MDX with the high-end ELS system. The ELS is other worldly, but the Alpine Premium isn’t too far behind.

·
Registered
901 Posts
It’s not just XM for me. I listen to the same rotation of music (I’m old) on my iPhone over and over. I know what it did sound like and what it does sound like now. It isn’t the worst ever but just bummed it isn’t as good as my JL for whatever reason.
Could it be the BT connection? Perhaps it's not using the higher quality protocols. I'm not sure how to check on an iPhone.

I haven't been using mine for music too much since I like to listen to the silence of electric driving.

·
Registered
16 Posts
None of the people saying it sounds great are using a high quality signal. Spotify is going in at 96kbps, etc. The higher CD quality / 1500kbps sources like Tidal hi-fi, etc. seem to expose the problem. It's gets really shrill and tinny sounding and the speakers occasionally pop, etc. It's not the end of the world, but hoping one of the aftermarket options works out

1 - 20 of 88 Posts