Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Installed some Infinity 3032s from Crutchfield this weekend. The 3032s are a coaxial tweeter/mid with a built in crossover to replace the stock 3.5" speaker in the dash corner spots. There is a long post on the JL forum about this upgrade. Crutchfield doesn't show any speakers compatible with the 4XE but the 3032 fit with same small mod you have to make for any JL. Very easy install, cheap and makes a big difference in the soundstage.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Installed some Infinity 3032s from Crutchfield this weekend. The 3032s are a coaxial tweeter/mid with a built in crossover to replace the stock 3.5" speaker in the dash corner spots. There is a long post on the JL forum about this upgrade. Crutchfield doesn't show any speakers compatible with the 4XE but the 3032 fit with same small mod you have to make for any JL. Very easy install, cheap and makes a big difference in the soundstage.
Is ir the same ohm as the OEM speaker ? I thought it was lower ohm, so it sounds louder but not necessarily better ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Speaker impedance is a little bit of a tricky topic. The alpine specs say that it is a 2 ohm system. Most aftermarket car audio speakers, including the Infinity 3032s are 4 ohm. Generally a speaker with lower nominal impedance is more difficult to drive because it can draw more current; however, a lower (not higher) impedance speaker should be louder in the same application. In reality there are other things to consider too such as the speaker sensitivity and the fact that the 2 or 4 ohm ratings are just nominal ratings and actual speaker impedance will be all over the place depending on the frequency it is reproducing. Speakers are an extremely subjective component in a sound system. You may like the Infinity's better than the stock alpine's or you may not. I am no expert but I do restore and repair vintage hifi equipment and I found the Infinity's to be better than the stock 3.5" speakers. The alpine 3.5" speaker in the dash corners appear to be a full range driver (there is no dedicated tweeter for high frequencies) and the replacements that people use (like the 3032s) are mostly coaxial designs with a dedicated tweeter and mid driver.

·
Registered
81 Posts
For those who have brought the Terra Acoustic speakers I’d love to hear your thoughts on them once you’ve had a chance to install and play around with them. (So much potential for puns.)

I was looking forward to ordering a set but then found out that they only ship to the US - I live in Canada, so before I go through the trouble of freight forwarding I was hoping to see some reviews.

FWIW I contacted Terra Acoustics about the shipping and they got back to me pretty quick so I like their customer service so far.
My official non-technical review is that these speakers are awesome! Well worth the price, easy to install, very happy with them. They did sound better and warmer over time as they were used

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks ! so it’s easier to install than the Infinity speakers, maybe sound a bit better, but more expensive (and harder to get shipped to Canada)…

I may try the Infinities (sp?) as they are quite cheap in Canada, and upgrade to Terras if I don’t like them enough… Just trying to figure out if I can do the install / modifications myself since they are not PNP like the Terras 🤯

·
Registered
12 Posts
ulucto95,

You are right there are two minor modifications you need to make. The first is to bend the end of the flanges on the Infinitys so they fit in the dash. I actually just snipped off the end of the flange with some heavy duty scissors. The second is to swap the wires in the metra adapters. I used a very small screw driver to pop out the pins in the adapter and swap. Even with those two modifications, it is a very quick job. If you want to go this route, send me a private message and I can walk you through it with pictures.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks ! I need to find somewhere to buy those Metra adapters in Canada. It looks like it will be easier to get Infinities and Metras than to get Terras shipped here. I'm also looking for the sound bar speaker replacements (I don't want to tear apart the dash for the knee speakers though) !

·
Registered
71 Posts
I too am a bit disappointed in the the overall sound of the Alpine system, I think it’s mainly the lack of front staging and no dedicated tweeter for the highs. I’ve always been into upgrading stereo systems and was hoping the Alpine would be sufficient. Just added my email to the Terra Acoustics waitlist for the front speakers, I think this kit addresses the issue, looks to be a nice easy upgrade, without ripping out the whole system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
I too am a bit disappointed in the the overall sound of the Alpine system, I think it’s mainly the lack of front staging and no dedicated tweeter for the highs. I’ve always been into upgrading stereo systems and was hoping the Alpine would be sufficient. Just added my email to the Terra Acoustics waitlist for the front speakers, I think this kit addresses the issue, looks to be a nice easy upgrade, without ripping out the whole system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got the Terra Acoustics speakers, they are pretty good and take 5 minutes to install. I pondered whether or not to get them for a while, I emailed Terra with some questions and I have to say they had the best customer communications I’ve ever experienced.

Now after a couple of months I am glad I pulled the trigger. I found the Alpine system was missing the miss and high’s… music and vocals just weren’t there - now they are.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1,261 Posts
You guys are high… The system is great. I’ve had enough buddies that are into car stereos and heard all different aftermarket builds. This system sounds great, period. Could you do a custom build and make it top of the line? Sure. Are some goofy front speakers gonna make a difference to 99.99% of the 4xe crowd? No.
People will come on the forum and read…the stereo is bad… No it isn’t! It’s an Alpine Stereo.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You guys are high… The system is great. I’ve had enough buddies that are into car stereos and heard all different aftermarket builds. This system sounds great, period. Could you do a custom build and make it top of the line? Sure. Are some goofy front speakers gonna make a difference to 99.99% of the 4xe crowd? No.
People will come on the forum and read…the stereo is bad… No it isn’t! It’s an Alpine Stereo.
I find it great even at low volumes, so much fuller sound than anything I had before in a vehicle.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts