Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Tesla level 2 chargers have been real hit and miss with adaptors on the 4XE. Some people have been able To do it but some haven’t. I wish I had an answer as to why some work and some don’t.
It appears that the issue isn't the tesla evse, but rather the adapters people buy. The actual "tesla tap" adapter works find. The lectron one has an incorrectly designed ground circuit which causes the problems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
So the Lectron one does not work?
Every person I have seen say "the tesla charger doesn't work" has been using the lectron. Every person I have seen say "the tesla charger does work" has been using the teslatap. There may be people having success with the lectron that I haven't came across, but I'm yet to see it.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Is there any issue with the fact that the standard Level 2 charger for the 4XE is a 32Amp unit and the Tesla Wall connector is 40Amps?
In other words, even if you do have success using something like the TeslaTap adapter to connect the 4XE to a Tesla wall connector, will that difference in current cause problems? Could it damage the 4XE's battery?
No, that's not an issue. The charger is actually built in to the vehicle and will regulate the power the vehicle sees.

What you plug into the wall just provides the power to the charger in the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
244 Posts
Has anyone used the TeslaTap with the TMC (Mobile Connector)? I recall the TWC vs. TMC had different compatibility issues with adapters, but again, that was with Lectron and other variants of the same adapter sold under different names.

I've got a TMC, with a few adapters, mostly as a backup and travel adapter for our TM3, but I'd like to be able to take it with us if we took the 4xe, like down to the BIL's in NSB - I have a 30a / N14-30 adapter, and easy access to the outlet - works great with the Tesla.

Hahaha, I just realized my post is an acronym-o-rama :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts