Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe. Each time I charge it in my garage, after the jeep reaches 100% charge, the breaker trips and a charge Fault occurs. This happens every time. What's strange to me is the fact that the breaker trips after reaching 100% charge. I tried putting a surge protector between the jeep and the garage but it didn't do anything.

Why does this keep happening?
How can it be fixed?

·
Registered
2021 4xe Rubicon sting grey
66 Posts
Check to see if your charger cable where plugged into the wall feels warm or hot.

The outlet that you use should be rated for 15 amps.

Your charger box will indicate some issues and the unconnect app can give you error messages.

Breakers are only designed to protect the wiring within the house. Not to protect from shorts. The amp draw may exceed the circuit rating if plugged into a 10 amp circuit with other devices.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Check to see if your charger cable where plugged into the wall feels warm or hot.

The outlet that you use should be rated for 15 amps.

Your charger box will indicate some issues and the unconnect app can give you error messages.

Breakers are only designed to protect the wiring within the house. Not to protect from shorts. The amp draw may exceed the circuit rating if plugged into a 10 amp circuit with other devices.
I would agree… if you have already “verified” there is absolutely nothing else plugged into that circuit, then go back to the electrical panel and take a look at the actual switch. If you see a 10 on it… it’s an easy swap for you to put a 15 in there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the circuit is rated for 20 amps. The only other devices on it are the garage door opener and a light, which shouldn't be drawing much when not in use, I would think.

·
Registered
2021 4xe Rubicon sting grey
66 Posts
I would agree… if you have already “verified” there is absolutely nothing else plugged into that circuit, then go back to the electrical panel and take a look at the actual switch. If you see a 10 on it… it’s an easy swap for you to put a 15 in there.
Please don't ever install a breaker rated for more amps... the wire guage cannot handle the higher amps and can overheat and start a fire. Sorry I was in a rush yesterday. The common breaker sizes are 15a and 20a not 10a and 15a.

The garage door opener will not draw while not in use.

So yeah... for some reason either your charger or vehicle pulled over 20 amps and the breaker popped.

There is a possibility the breaker is bad, your charger is bad or the vehicle needs to be looked at.

Before jumping to conclusions can you test from another circuit? Repeat the test and confirm your results. This will eliminate the bad breaker possibility.

Again check to see if the charger cable gets warm.

It's possible something else could be tapped on that garage door circuit.

If you live in SoCal I'd be happy to swap chargers for a day to see if that is the issue.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
524 Posts
What about improper grounding? I don’t know, just spitballing. When my electrician put in our new panel, he had to pound in 2 new grounding rods outside. Also, couldn’t it be wire gauge is to small causing the breaker to pop?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts