Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have received the Charge Fault error once again. I take the 4Xe in and they cannot figure it out. I take it home it is fine for a few weeks than out of the blue I get the charge fault error once again. Take it in and 9 times out of 10 the error will disappear before I drop it off at the dealership. They then look at it and cannot figure it out. I am so tired of the back and forth. It is so aggravating. The dealership wants to keep it for weeks to see if they can recreate the issue. I wish that Jeep would get their crap together and actually come up with a solution to fix it. I have had all the software updates, they checked for the seal recall, they can never find anything wrong. Take it home and in a few random weeks, the charge fault will appear again, uhhgggggg! So over it!

·
Registered
901 Posts
Only time I see that is if I'm somewhere other than home, like an Airbnb.

What EVSE/Charger are you using?

If level one, make sure nothing else is on the circuit. Is the electrical plug in good condition, how long is the outlet from the box?

If it's the Jeep level one, are there any blinking lights on the EVSE? The light patterns indicate what the electrical issue may be. If it's flashing yellow, it means the electrical outlet/socket is overheating. Most issues are overheating or ground faults.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only time I see that is if I'm somewhere other than home, like an Airbnb.

What EVSE/Charger are you using?

If level one, make sure nothing else is on the circuit. Is the electrical plug in good condition, how long is the outlet from the box?

If it's the Jeep level one, are there any blinking lights on the EVSE? The light patterns indicate what the electrical issue may be. If it's flashing yellow, it means the electrical outlet/socket is overheating.
The fault never happens when it is plugged in. I never plugged it in other than home and using the Jeep level 1 charger. The charge fault happens randomly while driving, and not plugged in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have you tested your 12 V battery level with a multimeter and/or watched the voltage level in the dash display?

Hard to say what the charge fault is referring to as it could be related to the engine charging the HV battery, regen, or the 12 V battery charging if it is occurring while driving. Are you in max regen and slowing down when the error gets thrown? Or are you on the gas? I've observed a long period of driving in e-save and know that even on the gas the current can be negative for the HV battery indicating that the engine is charging the HV battery.

It would be helpful to narrow down exactly what was happening when the fault occured as it might just be a faulty connection or a faulty component.

I used to get charging faults occasionally with my Fiat 500e but only while charging. Usually it cleared up after turning the car off and back on again. However, I have left that sitting unplugged for 3+ months at a time and the battery systems have worked perfectly upon return and that has over 26k miles on it now so clearly everything is working for the most part.

The fault never happens when it is plugged in. I never plugged it in other than home and using the Jeep level 1 charger. The charge fault happens randomly while driving, and not plugged in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you tested your 12 V battery level with a multimeter and/or watched the voltage level in the dash display?

Hard to say what the charge fault is referring to as it could be related to the engine charging the HV battery, regen, or the 12 V battery charging if it is occurring while driving. Are you in max regen and slowing down when the error gets thrown? Or are you on the gas? I've observed a long period of driving in e-save and know that even on the gas the current can be negative for the HV battery indicating that the engine is charging the HV battery.

It would be helpful to narrow down exactly what was happening when the fault occured as it might just be a faulty connection or a faulty component.

I used to get charging faults occasionally with my Fiat 500e but only while charging. Usually it cleared up after turning the car off and back on again. However, I have left that sitting unplugged for 3+ months at a time and the battery systems have worked perfectly upon return and that has over 26k miles on it now so clearly everything is working for the most part.
Maybe I am assuming incorrectly…. But I think I do not have to troubleshoot and that should be a service/function the Jeep dealership should be doing. it is brand new and I personally after paying nearly $56,000 for new 4Xe should not have to troubleshoot electrical issues. My hope would be that Jeep can figure it out. The post was mainly to rant from frustration and not try and fix myself. After all it is still under warranty….. just saying. So for full disclosure, I have checked the fuses, did the system reset thing, had all the software updates and all the recalls done, just the one recall I. Reference to a seal. The charge fault is random… no rhyme or reason, comes on goes off, and the dealership nor Jeep can figure it out. I really want to love this Jeep, they are maki g it hard to do so.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Thanks for clarifying. I don't think I've heard of that one. Usually that results in a complete shutdown or turtle mode. Very strange.

They must have codes associated with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have received the Charge Fault error once again. I take the 4Xe in and they cannot figure it out. I take it home it is fine for a few weeks than out of the blue I get the charge fault error once again. Take it in and 9 times out of 10 the error will disappear before I drop it off at the dealership. They then look at it and cannot figure it out. I am so tired of the back and forth. It is so aggravating. The dealership wants to keep it for weeks to see if they can recreate the issue. I wish that Jeep would get their crap together and actually come up with a solution to fix it. I have had all the software updates, they checked for the seal recall, they can never find anything wrong. Take it home and in a few random weeks, the charge fault will appear again, uhhgggggg! So over it!
I’m having the exact same issue and the dealership has no clue how to fix it…

·
Registered
24 Posts
If it never happens when plugged in .. and I’m just guessing but could it be related to regen braking? .. the battery being ‘charged’ during driving. If you are using regen have you tried not using it for a while to see if issue disappears? Just thinking how to use-case to provide Jeep/service with info.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
If it never happens when plugged in .. and I’m just guessing but could it be related to regen braking? .. the battery being ‘charged’ during driving. If you are using regen have you tried not using it for a while to see if issue disappears? Just thinking how to use-case to provide Jeep/service with info.
Regen braking is used every time you press the brake pedal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
"Efficiency Coach" is redundant to the analog charge right side of the cluster and calibration is useless as a coach..

Please abandon Efficiency Coach.

Far more energy will be saved by putting your IT people on charging plug-in style 100%, one hundred percent of our attempts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts