Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all 4xE owners!!
I’m looking to install a charge point home flex. Does it matter if it’s nema 6-50 or nema 14-50? My electrician can install either but wondering if it’ll matter on the 4xE end. I’m thinking 14-50? Also is it okay for outdoor use? I live in Cali so light rain lots of sun shine?
How is charge point? Is it good?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Running the correct wiring for a 6-50 is actually cheaper than 14-50 because of the 4th wire which is wasteful. You will garnish no benefit from having that 4th wire, though I’m sure someone with an electrical background can explain why it may benefit us. Bottom line is that a 6-50 Is fine, cheaper wiring, so marginally cheaper to install. You’ll get the same results either way.

As for outdoor, you should make sure to pick a receptacle that is outdoor approved. if you have a professional electrician do the work they’ll be able to accommodate this. The CP Flex is 100% outdoor fine, so you’ll be ok there. As for an example of an outdoor receptacle I’ve attached a link below. Again, totally fine to have a 6-50 or 14-50 outdoors so long as receptacle is rated for such.

·
Registered
56 Posts
PS: ChargePoint makes a great device. Have had experience with it and would suggest (I have/had the prior generation unit, and loved it). There are other options though so it really comes down to what you want to achieve. But as for bang-for-buck the CP HF is a great unit

·
Registered
54 Posts
If it were me, I would install the 14-50 for sure. In any paid installation, labor cost is the majority, and it's the same for 3 or 4 wires. The difference in material cost should be negligible (relatively speaking). If don't need the ground wire, you don't have to connect it. But if don't have it, but need it, good luck with re-wiring. Many chargers require the ground for GFCI protection. I know my JuliceBox uses 14-50 plug. Also most RVs use the same plug, in case a RV is in your future.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased the 14-50 ChargePoint charger after reading several posts. Now I just need to get an electrician to install an outlet in the garage. I used ChargePoint’s Qmerit electrician finder tool and was shocked by the quote I received $1399 to install an outlet. So I recommend shopping around for an electrician.

·
Registered
901 Posts
If you own a ChargePoint, do you get any additional data off the app? I find the data detail lacking.

When I got my EVSE there where no ChargePoints available so I got a JuiceBox.

The quality isn't as good (although still a highly rated EVSE). However, I'd hate to give up the detailed data.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.