Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me what charge stations will accommodate my 4XE when it comes in. I’m new to EV’s and noticed that some stations have different type of plugs .... is there an app or something that can direct me to one that I can use ?
Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you get an adapter for the Tesla plug, you can use pretty much any charging station. What you need is a J1722 and Tesla uses a different approach. Now whether you can activate the Tesla charging station is another matter. Pretty much most public charging stations use J1722. The adapter below will allow you to use a Tesla charging station with their standard and plug into the J1722 that the Jeep has.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you get an adapter for the Tesla plug, you can use pretty much any charging station. What you need is a J1722 and Tesla uses a different approach. Now whether you can activate the Tesla charging station is another matter. Pretty much most public charging stations use J1722. The adapter below will allow you to use a Tesla charging station with their standard and plug into the J1722 that the Jeep has.

Just to add a note to this post. Those converters only work on level 2, destination Tesla chargers. They will not work on the SuperChargers. Those are DC Fast Charging stations where destination chargers are AC.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Can someone tell me what charge stations will accommodate my 4XE when it comes in. I’m new to EV’s and noticed that some stations have different type of plugs .... is there an app or something that can direct me to one that I can use ?
Thank you
Get the PlugShare app. You can sort by J-1772. Almost all public chargers are J-1772. Filter out Tesla SuperChargers and Electrify America. Those are both DC Fast Chargers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just to add a note to this post. Those converters only work on level 2, destination Tesla chargers. They will not work on the SuperChargers. Those are DC Fast Charging stations where destination chargers are AC.
Is there any way to get an adapter for the super chargers? Or for those DC fast charging stations?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm not sure the cost of DC fast charging would make sense for a PHEV. Just put some gas in.

Actually, I'm not sure paying for Level 2 charging away from home makes sense for that matter: It costs me $0.01/mi ($0.043/KWh) at night to charge my Tesla (75kWh battery goes about 300mi), so I can calculate approx $0.03/mi cost for the Jeep (17kWh battery goes 21mi). At $3 gallon for 23mpg, the cost is $0.13/mi. The paid chargers are on the order of $0.20-$0.30/kW, or about 5-7X cost at home, or $0.15-$0.21/mi.

Curious of your thoughts.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a sub-question: Will the 4xe work (with the right adapter) with the cable that I normally use to charge my Tesla? Thanks!
Yes. THere's a Tesla to J-1772 converter for level 2 charging. Naturally, it won't work at the SuperChargers but it will work at the destination chargers. That is, unless the destination chargers has had the "Tesla Only" option enabled.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes. THere's a Tesla to J-1772 converter for level 2 charging. Naturally, it won't work at the SuperChargers but it will work at the destination chargers. That is, unless the destination chargers has had the "Tesla Only" option enabled.
Thanks, I got the converter but when I use the cable that I use at home with the converter the Jeep says "There are problems with your charging station".
Did anyone have any luck charging the 4xe with the same cable they use for their Tesla?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thanks, I got the converter but when I use the cable that I use at home with the converter the Jeep says "There are problems with your charging station".
Did anyone have any luck charging the 4xe with the same cable they use for their Tesla?
Some Tesla destination chargers have a “Tesla Only” setting. I don’t know how it’s enabled or how to turn it off, I just know that’s a thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Just FYI, I tried the Lectron adapter on my home 240v Tesla cable and it didn't work. It could be that the product was malfunctioning (I returned it).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for posting. I’d love to use my Tesla home charger (the standard one that comes with the car and plugs into a 240v clothes dryer receptacle) to get level 2 on my 4xe. The level 1 charger isn’t bad and charges ok, but not sure I want to drop the $ for a dedicated level 2 for the Jeep

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4xe
5 Posts
Get the PlugShare app. You can sort by J-1772. Almost all public chargers are J-1772. Filter out Tesla SuperChargers and Electrify America. Those are both DC Fast Chargers.
Hi All, I'm a 1-month owner of a 4xe and so far am 0-for-2 finding a local, public charger that charges my 4xe. The two that I have tried (different locations locally) both have Tesla logos on them and both have J-1772 connectors. Both experiences have been the same - when I plug it in to my 4xe, the light beside the charging connector/port (i.e. not the ones on the dash) starts blinking blue. Any thoughts??
(the attached photos are from one of them - the first "check-in" for this charger on PlugShare dates back to March 2019 FWIW)

·
Registered
263 Posts
It would be really weird to have a Tesla charger with a J-1772. Someone would have had to replace the head and that would be weird because the communications protocols are different. Was there possibly some sort of converter on the end of the Tesla plug in both situations? I don’t want to sound insulting with this next question but is there any chance there was a ClipperCreek mounted next to it or near by and the cables got wrapped up? I ask that because around where I live, there are a lot of Tesla destination chargers sitting next to ClipperCreek chargers.

Any chance you have a scheduled charging enabled in the Uconnect screen? It will flash blue if you have that enabled. You would have to disable scheduled charging to charge at a public charger.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4xe
5 Posts
It would be really weird to have a Tesla charger with a J-1772. Someone would have had to replace the head and that would be weird because the communications protocols are different. Was there possibly some sort of converter on the end of the Tesla plug in both situations? I don’t want to sound insulting with this next question but is there any chance there was a ClipperCreek mounted next to it or near by and the cables got wrapped up? I ask that because around where I live, there are a lot of Tesla destination chargers sitting next to ClipperCreek chargers.

Any chance you have a scheduled charging enabled in the Uconnect screen? It will flash blue if you have that enabled. You would have to disable scheduled charging to charge at a public charger.
Thanks for your reply - great questions - not insulted at all!
In both locations to which I earlier referred, there are actually three Tesla chargers - two of them are the "normal" Tesla destination chargers (as I understand from the descriptions) and the third one is the Tesla charger with the J-1772 connector that I tried to use. See photos below - in the first photo, the leftmost charger is the one with J-1772 connector (and not my 4xe in the photo, obviously :)).
I also thought the blue blinking light was related to scheduled charging, but I did confirm at that time that scheduled charging was disabled (and I don't leverage this feature anyhow).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts