Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me what charge stations will accommodate my 4XE when it comes in. I’m new to EV’s and noticed that some stations have different type of plugs .... is there an app or something that can direct me to one that I can use ?
Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you get an adapter for the Tesla plug, you can use pretty much any charging station. What you need is a J1722 and Tesla uses a different approach. Now whether you can activate the Tesla charging station is another matter. Pretty much most public charging stations use J1722. The adapter below will allow you to use a Tesla charging station with their standard and plug into the J1722 that the Jeep has.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you get an adapter for the Tesla plug, you can use pretty much any charging station. What you need is a J1722 and Tesla uses a different approach. Now whether you can activate the Tesla charging station is another matter. Pretty much most public charging stations use J1722. The adapter below will allow you to use a Tesla charging station with their standard and plug into the J1722 that the Jeep has.

Just to add a note to this post. Those converters only work on level 2, destination Tesla chargers. They will not work on the SuperChargers. Those are DC Fast Charging stations where destination chargers are AC.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Can someone tell me what charge stations will accommodate my 4XE when it comes in. I’m new to EV’s and noticed that some stations have different type of plugs .... is there an app or something that can direct me to one that I can use ?
Thank you
Get the PlugShare app. You can sort by J-1772. Almost all public chargers are J-1772. Filter out Tesla SuperChargers and Electrify America. Those are both DC Fast Chargers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just to add a note to this post. Those converters only work on level 2, destination Tesla chargers. They will not work on the SuperChargers. Those are DC Fast Charging stations where destination chargers are AC.
Is there any way to get an adapter for the super chargers? Or for those DC fast charging stations?

·
Registered
61 Posts
No, the 4XE does not support DC Fast Charging. There's no way to adapt for that. Vehicle that do both have different ports that are for DCFC.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not sure the cost of DC fast charging would make sense for a PHEV. Just put some gas in.

Actually, I'm not sure paying for Level 2 charging away from home makes sense for that matter: It costs me $0.01/mi ($0.043/KWh) at night to charge my Tesla (75kWh battery goes about 300mi), so I can calculate approx $0.03/mi cost for the Jeep (17kWh battery goes 21mi). At $3 gallon for 23mpg, the cost is $0.13/mi. The paid chargers are on the order of $0.20-$0.30/kW, or about 5-7X cost at home, or $0.15-$0.21/mi.

Curious of your thoughts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My local Hy-Vee currently doesn't charge anything for L2- cheaper than charging it home!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts