Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a similar discussion on this but I want to start a new conversation based on my specific problem. I have a Jeep Level 1 charger that works fine. An electrician installed a Juicebox 40 today. And here are my problems, and wondering if it's mostly with the Juicebox as I'm reading a lot of negative things about their app and it inability to accept changes as described below.

1. After about 15 seconds of charging, I get a "Charge Fault" error on UConnect app and outer two led on dash blink. The Juicebox however shows solid green which in this newer model means "Vehicle No Longer Drawing Power."
2. I tried to go into app an change Amperage draw to some lower rating (e.g. 16, 32) down from 40 and I get this error in the app. "Invalid Unit Information". HOWEVER, if I go to the website and log in to my account, I can change the amperage. But the website and App apparently dont talk to each other from this point of view. All other info like car name, etc, update between the two.

So my question is: is anybody else having these EXACT same problems and if so how did you fix it, keeping the Juicebox, without troubleshooting by trying another level 2 charger?

I'm mostly concerned about the "Charge Fault" as it is keeping me from using my Level 2 completely.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
73 Posts
I have the JuiceBox 40 and using it to charge my Jeep, and have no problems. I do see errors on Uconnect when it is trying to charge my Jeep during my 2PM to 8PM Time-Of-Use peak hours, that I setup in the JuiceBox app as hours I don’t want my Jeep to draw power from my charger. Could you have TOU configured on your JuiceBox?

·
Registered
378 Posts
sometimes power suppliers have voltage differences in there net that can trigger faults with electronics. sending more as 240 volt to your home or less. special sommertime with lot of ac use in homes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
There is a similar discussion on this but I want to start a new conversation based on my specific problem. I have a Jeep Level 1 charger that works fine. An electrician installed a Juicebox 40 today. And here are my problems, and wondering if it's mostly with the Juicebox as I'm reading a lot of negative things about their app and it inability to accept changes as described below.

1. After about 15 seconds of charging, I get a "Charge Fault" error on UConnect app and outer two led on dash blink. The Juicebox however shows solid green which in this newer model means "Vehicle No Longer Drawing Power."
2. I tried to go into app an change Amperage draw to some lower rating (e.g. 16, 32) down from 40 and I get this error in the app. "Invalid Unit Information". HOWEVER, if I go to the website and log in to my account, I can change the amperage. But the website and App apparently dont talk to each other from this point of view. All other info like car name, etc, update between the two.

So my question is: is anybody else having these EXACT same problems and if so how did you fix it, keeping the Juicebox, without troubleshooting by trying another level 2 charger?

I'm mostly concerned about the "Charge Fault" as it is keeping me from using my Level 2 completely.
I have a JuiceBox 40 and have had the same problem just once. Worked great for two weeks until one day just as you said it would start charging and then stop, took it in and they were able to get it charging on their MOPAR charger in the shop, hybrid tech was not in that day so they were unable to go deeper. Pulled the codes below:

The ECU codes near the bottom suggest an ECU burp. No problems since with the JuiceBox. As Hairmess stated above if you have TOU enabled and connect your Jeep out of the charge window Uconnect will gripe at you because the JuiceBox is not supplying power. Do you have access to any charge stations around you? We have free ones at malls and government buildings around here, in my case getting the battery charging on another unit seemed to get things going again, could also be your ECU needs service and you may want to take it to the dealership.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. This info definitely moves me a few steps forward. I have TOU turned off completely. Next step, as Jeep Nerd, suggests is to go to Jeep dealership or other local Level 2 and see if it charges ok. Since I get two "errors" one on the Jeep, and the other being a tripped breaker, it may take a bit to figure out, so starting with the 4xe first and working from that end.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the JuiceBox 40 and using it to charge my Jeep, and have no problems. I do see errors on Uconnect when it is trying to charge my Jeep during my 2PM to 8PM Time-Of-Use peak hours, that I setup in the JuiceBox app as hours I don’t want my Jeep to draw power from my charger. Could you have TOU configured on your JuiceBox?
[/Q

What amps are you running through Juicebox?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a JuiceBox 40 and have had the same problem just once. Worked great for two weeks until one day just as you said it would start charging and then stop, took it in and they were able to get it charging on their MOPAR charger in the shop, hybrid tech was not in that day so they were unable to go deeper. Pulled the codes below:
View attachment 1306
The ECU codes near the bottom suggest an ECU burp. No problems since with the JuiceBox. As Hairmess stated above if you have TOU enabled and connect your Jeep out of the charge window Uconnect will gripe at you because the JuiceBox is not supplying power. Do you have access to any charge stations around you? We have free ones at malls and government buildings around here, in my case getting the battery charging on another unit seemed to get things going again, could also be your ECU needs service and you may want to take it to the dealership.
Are you running 32, or 40 amps through Juicebox?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Follow up 1. Found a free Volta Level 2 EVSE station down the road. Started with 75% and was at full charge in about 35 minutes which is close enough for my math to prove I was at 7.7 Kw, and max charging rate. So pretty sure it's not the 4xe. Will test at one more EVSE. Before moving to Juicebox and 50 amp wiring.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks all. This info definitely moves me a few steps forward. I have TOU turned off completely. Next step, as Jeep Nerd, suggests is to go to Jeep dealership or other local Level 2 and see if it charges ok. Since I get two "errors" one on the Jeep, and the other being a tripped breaker, it may take a bit to figure out, so starting with the 4xe first and working from that end.
You are getting a tripped breaker with an electrician installed 50A line? If so I’d engage Enel (JuiceBox) customer service, I have worked through a couple issues with them and they have been responsive and helpful.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I thought I read that the max you should use when charging these is 32 amps. Is that not the case?
the 4xe charging unit will self-limit to ~32 amps even when connected to a higher amperage unit, buying the 40 amp unit allows future proofingfor higher current vehicles.

·
Registered
56 Posts
the 4xe charging unit will self-limit to ~32 amps even when connected to a higher amperage unit, buying the 40 amp unit allows future proofingfor higher current vehicles.
Thank you for that clarification. I like that it will manage that itself allowing for the future proof aspect.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you are tripping a 50amp breaker then your 6 gage wire is too far from your breaker box. Like super far. I installed 4 gage aluminum on nema 14-50 100 feet on a 60 amp breaker. If you ran a Nema 6-50 on 6 gage wire a long way you might have an issue because you are running 3 wires instead of 4.

I have a charge point home because it will cycle through and figure it out, but honestly the jeeps pull is very low, too low in my opinion.

·
Registered
2021 4xe Rubicon
9 Posts
I’m running 2 of the Juice box 40s one at work and one at home. No issues with either, one is setup to use the ToU and the other just whenever something is plugged in. No issues, I think I have seen the charge fault message once or twice in the Uconnect app, but nothing seems to come of it. I find it fully charged in the mornings and the afternoons even when I see the message in the app.

I think what happens is that the jeep is expecting a charge and it’s not supplying due to ToU or that the unit believes it has charged the vechile and turns off, leaving it at like 99.8% or something like that.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had an issue with my JuiceBox 40 last night, it started flashing red, and there were 5 beeps coming from it. I unplugged it yesterday, and left it for the night.

In the morning I plugged it in, and it was flashing blue lights this time, but still had the 5 beeps. So I unplugged it again, and waited to call JuiceBox when I had some time after work.

Called JuiceBox, and they told me that a relay needed to be reset, and that you have to physically tap the JuiceBox on its sides with your hands several times to reset the switch. That helped reset the switch, and after a 2-3 minute boot sequence, it got back to a solid white LED light, and was good to charge the Jeep once again.

I asked the tech what had happened, and why did it trip the relay switch? And he told me that when I unplug the Jeep, I should push the button on the charge handle, and keep it down for three seconds before pulling it out of the Jeep.

Hope sharing this experience, will help some of you getting any similar JuiceBox 40 issues resolved for you quickly.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I forgot to mention I tapped the JuiceBox when it was unplugged, and I plugged it in after to see if it helped reset the switch.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I forgot to mention I tapped the JuiceBox when it was unplugged, and I plugged it in after to see if it helped reset the switch.
They actually told you to hit the device like Fonzie? And it worked? :ROFLMAO:
I can’t imagine an electronics company designing a reset like that intentionally. My guess is the support tech was bored and wanted to see what he could get away with and the power cycle was what reset the device. Regardless, glad to hear it worked for you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I can’t imagine an electronics company designing a reset like that intentionally. My guess is the support tech was bored and wanted to see what he could get away with and the power cycle was what reset the device. Regardless, glad to hear it worked for you.
It worked, it sounded like it swung something closed too. I am pretty mechanicaly inclined, and I thought it was little weird, but come to think of it, if I were to design a mechanical breaker, a breaker that had to be enclosed in a weather proof enclosure, and I did not want consumers opening a 50 Amp device to reset it, why not design it so Fonzie could fix it.

·
Registered
597 Posts
In engineering school we used to call it the Whackenheimer method. It can also work to get a little extra juice from dead batteries, fix shorts/open circuits, or fix Russian space station.

However, the Whackenheimer method is a temporary fix.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts