Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I wanted to see if anyone else is having a problem like mine. My 4xe runs fine, however, at my home charger (a ChargePoint charger), I run into charging interruptions very often (daily), and when this happens the CEL comes on. Again, it doesn’t seem to affect the actual running of the car (except for lack of charge in the battery), but certainly is not optimal. Anyone?

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya know, now that I think of it, it never happened with the level 1 charger. Is it possible that the settings on the level two charger are too high and thus overloading the Jeep’s system? Any electrical engineers out there?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ya know, now that I think of it, it never happened with the level 1 charger. Is it possible that the settings on the level two charger are too high and thus overloading the Jeep’s system? Any electrical engineers out there?
Hard to say without first hand knowledge of your electrical circuit. Did you have it professionally installed or are you using an existing circuit perhaps for a clothes drier or something? You might only have a 3 wire setup instead of 4 and if so you charger would be receiving only half the required voltage (120 instead of 240). You can't really overload the Jeep, it has its own incoming voltage regulator.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, professionally installed with a 4 wire system to an 80 amp circuit. Yes, the Jeep has a limiter, assuming that it was installed correctly and programmed correctly, which I don’t know if that’s a fair assumption with all the electrical problems people have been reporting.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yes, professionally installed with a 4 wire system to an 80 amp circuit. Yes, the Jeep has a limiter, assuming that it was installed correctly and programmed correctly, which I don’t know if that’s a fair assumption with all the electrical problems people have been reporting.
Hmm. My next step would be to verify the ChargePoint is outputting properly. If you are not experienced with this I would call someone to perform the diagnosis. You don't want to get bit by 240. If you don't know electrical you can go to other public charger stations and see if the same problem occurs or not. If so your Jeep is the issue, if not your charger is the issue. Frigging technology, both a blessing and curse at the same time!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the exact same problem at home with my Charge Point L2 charger, I have the CHP-25 32 AMP charger. It is installed properly, everything has been double checked. Randomly the charging rate will fluctuate up and down while charging and the check engine light will come on. When I pull the code using my OBD reader it shows B22A9. I have been able to clear the code and then it appears to charge OK for a period of time before having this problem again in the future. I have also noticed that when it exhibits this symptom that the UConnect/email alerts for charging through SiriusXM Guardian usually are lagging or not occurring. Recently I have found that if I reset the radio by holding down the power button and restarting the radio that charging starts working again until it re-occurs (incidentally my backup lines also don't work when this is happening). I plan on replacing the cable for my Charge Point to rule out any poor connection and ensure that I have removed any possible connection points that are causing the issue. I do not have this problem when charging anywhere else other than home and have charged at many various public charger brands and locations with not one issue, similarly no issues using the L1 Jeep charger. The other main difference I have noticed is that charging at home is at a higher rate, usually 7.6-7.7Kwh vs 7.2Kwh or lower at public chargers. (This is related to 208V at commercial vs 240V at home) to my knowledge.

I have a service appointment scheduled to look at the backup camera lines and engine codes, but it isn't for 2 weeks. I will report back any findings if I get to the root cause. It is very annoying since often times our Jeep won't be charged completely because of this.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1,213 Posts
Looks and sounds to me that it’s your at home charger. I mean, if the LVL 1 works and the LVL 2’s you’ve used outside your home work, and the Jeep is telling you to check your external charger, that tells me it’s the home charger or electrical grid of your home.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I use a Splitvolt and when the unit shifts power from the charger to the dryer I get the same message in my Jeep. Agree, sounds like it something with the charger or electrical issue with the home.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi there,
I wanted to see if anyone else is having a problem like mine. My 4xe runs fine, however, at my home charger (a ChargePoint charger), I run into charging interruptions very often (daily), and when this happens the CEL comes on. Again, it doesn’t seem to affect the actual running of the car (except for lack of charge in the battery), but certainly is not optimal. Anyone?

Thanks!
We also have a charge point level 2 charger at home. We had our jeep 32 miles before it went back to the dealer with CEL and charging system error. This was before we ever even plugged it in. At about 15 miles we heard a loud scraping noise coming from engine/trans area. Sounded like a baseball card in a bicycle wheel in the old days. It was a bit louder though and sounded metal on ,metal. This was when it was idling in park. (Engine running). We now have 6000 miles on jeep and have been back to the dealer 5 times for this issue and they can't find the problem They keep blaming it on home charger. The light will come on after half a day of driving after it has not even been plugged in. The light has come on at least 10 other occasions and my wife just gives up on calling the dealer. They don't even return our calls now. We feel like we have a real lemon. It also makes a loud clicking/popping noise on tight turns out of the garage or in a parking garage. They say this is normal for a hybrid. We explained it is not a relay clicking type noise. It sounds like a drive axle issue or something is loose. Again, they say this is normal and we need a Jeep level two charger. A i understand it, the charger is actually onboard the jeep. What we plug in is just the power source (not a charger).. Jeep has a real problem here and we feel that we want them to buy this thing back. I am a 30 year Master Certified Automotive Technician and I know much better than the garbage they are feeding us. My wife is an attorney and plans to consult with several other owners having this same issue to see what we can do. 61,000 dollars is a lot to spend on a jeep that had to go back 5 times and would have been more if taken each time the light comes on. It also seems to randomly accelerate on its own when at a stop. I have not experienced this myself yet, but my wife is getting paranoid to drive it or trust taking it anywhere of distance. Hope we can get this resolved. The hybrid function is new useless. We paid 500.00 to register it for being a hybrid. Best we get is about 25mpg. Jeep has some work to do. And some jeeps to buy back!

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1,213 Posts
We also have a charge point level 2 charger at home. We had our jeep 32 miles before it went back to the dealer with CEL and charging system error. This was before we ever even plugged it in. At about 15 miles we heard a loud scraping noise coming from engine/trans area. Sounded like a baseball card in a bicycle wheel in the old days. It was a bit louder though and sounded metal on ,metal. This was when it was idling in park. (Engine running). We now have 6000 miles on jeep and have been back to the dealer 5 times for this issue and they can't find the problem They keep blaming it on home charger. The light will come on after half a day of driving after it has not even been plugged in. The light has come on at least 10 other occasions and my wife just gives up on calling the dealer. They don't even return our calls now. We feel like we have a real lemon. It also makes a loud clicking/popping noise on tight turns out of the garage or in a parking garage. They say this is normal for a hybrid. We explained it is not a relay clicking type noise. It sounds like a drive axle issue or something is loose. Again, they say this is normal and we need a Jeep level two charger. A i understand it, the charger is actually onboard the jeep. What we plug in is just the power source (not a charger).. Jeep has a real problem here and we feel that we want them to buy this thing back. I am a 30 year Master Certified Automotive Technician and I know much better than the garbage they are feeding us. My wife is an attorney and plans to consult with several other owners having this same issue to see what we can do. 61,000 dollars is a lot to spend on a jeep that had to go back 5 times and would have been more if taken each time the light comes on. It also seems to randomly accelerate on its own when at a stop. I have not experienced this myself yet, but my wife is getting paranoid to drive it or trust taking it anywhere of distance. Hope we can get this resolved. The hybrid function is new useless. We paid 500.00 to register it for being a hybrid. Best we get is about 25mpg. Jeep has some work to do. And some jeeps to buy back!
Sounds like you have a really bad dealer. Find a better dealer and let them have a go at it. You definitely describe a lot of things going on. I mean, you have driven it 6,000 miles though. The clicking sounds like ball joint others have been talking about, but if you’re a master mechanic you would have solved that immediately. So maybe it’s something electrical. Good luck, sorry you’re not having a great new Jeep experience.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yikes man, what a nightmare. Try another dealer for sure and report current dealers lack of ethical standards to corporate. Sounds like mechanical noise since you said it does it at idle with ICE running. Being an experience tech have you used the stethoscope to narrow down where the noise is coming from or put it on the rack to inspect suspension for noise while turning? Either way from your story above it sounds like the techs at this dealer don't know what they are doing. Most dealerships love to hire kids from UTI and other training facilities. I hired some over the years and they are book smart, can tell you exactly how it works but put a car on the rack , a wrench in hand with a reported issue and they simply cannot transfer the book to actual diagnosis and repair. Try asking to talk directly with a technician and as for the old guy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there,

Thanks!
I have the exact same issue and now my Jeep won’t charge at all. It’s been like this for a week. The dealership doesn’t know what’s the problem or how to fix it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, I've experienced the same issue. Yesterday, after two months of trial and error and struggle, my dealership has confirmed that the problem is the 4xe's faulty integraded charging module. A replacement is being ordered, I'm told it will take roughly two weeks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts