Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just wondering if the charging time will be different in the US compared with Europe? The US has 110v as the standard domestic outlet and here in Europe we have 220/240v in our homes. My logic seems to suggest that charging directly from the domestic socket the current supplied with a 240v supply will be double but does the car reduce this?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi all, just wondering if the charging time will be different in the US compared with Europe? The US has 110v as the standard domestic outlet and here in Europe we have 220/240v in our homes. My logic seems to suggest that charging directly from the domestic socket the current supplied with a 240v supply will be double but does the car reduce this?
What is the standard European amp rating of a household circuit?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah, you need to know voltage and max current to figure out the time difference. If Euro circuits are 15A like (most) US 120v ones, then I'd expect charging to be roughly twice as fast since it's double the power. Possibly more since it's more efficient too!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Huh, 13, interesting... So, double the voltage, but 80% of 13A is... 10.4A, not 12A, so you will pull less current than a US charger. That should be a good ~2.5kW though, better than the 1.4kW we get here. This is all assuming the EVSE tells the car to pull 80% of the max current like in the US, of course, things are a little different with the charging standards over there!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Huh, 13, interesting... So, double the voltage, but 80% of 13A is... 10.4A, not 12A, so you will pull less current than a US charger. That should be a good ~2.5kW though, better than the 1.4kW we get here. This is all assuming the EVSE tells the car to pull 80% of the max current like in the US, of course, things are a little different with the charging standards over there!
There was some good info on Jeep’s UK site. I also read someplace that all European Wrangler’s will be 4XE only due to emissions. As production increases and gets more streamlined it should help with the problems people are have with the technology.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There was some good info on Jeep’s UK site. I also read someplace that all European Wrangler’s will be 4XE only due to emissions. As production increases and gets more streamlined it should help with the problems people are have with the technology.
It's not quite so simple as that...the UK doesn't get the 4xe at all, just petrol and diesel, France only has the 4xe and here in Italy we have the 4xe and petrol to choose from.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
71 Posts
The Jeep has a 32.4 maximum amperage pull, and the Nema 14-50 plugs we use with our level 2 chargers here in the US, are wired to supply the charger with 240v. Therefore the Nema 14-50 is able to supply the Jeep with about 7776 kWh, and charge a 17.1 KW battery in about 2.5 hours. It will be the same in Europe if the charger can draw the full 32.4 maximum amps from its circuit in Europe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts