Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am leasing a 4xe, and very excited about it. I have had my 4xe almost 3 months and I think it has fully charged twice. I plug in at a level 2 charger publicly( part two of question to come concerning charger) and charge for about 2 hours to get to 16% charged! Not pleased at all
The window sticker says a level 2 charger comes with this 4xe, she is named Crone. I was given a level one charger, that also does not charge my Jeep! So Crone’s battery is not charging and it seems the dealership does not know what to do to fix this, I am quite frustrated!
1. Any thoughts on how to get a charger as dealership says they cant get me one until December? I feel I should not have to come out of pocket to get a charger for the Hybrid Jeep
Does anyone have this same issue?
What affect will that have on that battery that for 2+ months has not been charged properly and almost always at 1%?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I don't t think it will harm the battery at all but only getting 16% from a level 2 charger in 2 hours is not right. Mine charges from 0% to 100% in 3 hours. I don't think you will get a level 2 charger free from Jeep as it comes with a level 1. Other have commented about the sticker but I think it is either an error or poor wording.

·
Registered
| 2012 JKU Sahara | 2021 4xe Sahara |
70 Posts
Users have been confusing charging modes and levels versus charger types and using the different terms interchangeably in reference to each other. The manufacturer print should likely have read Mode 2 Level 1 charging cord included which I did recall seeing on some of their literature while shopping for my vehicle as well as the incorrect “level 2” probably advertised on the dealer’s page.

In regards to the unusually slow public charging station speed you got, was yours the only vehicle plugged into that station? Was the set up there in a series or isolated? If there were vehicles plugged in next to yours, chances are you were splitting the power consumption cap / circuit limitations between the few of you.

Font Screenshot Number Paper Parallel

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
74 Posts
As long as a charging point can provide 32 amps of power, it should charge the Jeep in less than 2.5 hours. Level 1 chargers can’t deliver 32 Amps, so it will send what it can, and those usually take 12+ hours to fully charge the battery.

The charging points level 1 and 2 are just electricity energy providers, they negotiate on how much power to deliver to your (PIM) Power Inverter Module, or (IDCM) Integrated Dual Charging Module in your Jeep. There might be something wrong with your (PIM) or (IDCM) if you know the charging points are wired properly, and working well for others.

Check your fuses are all seated properly, and if that does not fix your problem, take it to a dealer that has trained 4xe or EV technicians.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It may not be correct, but anytime I drive Jud-e (that's her name!) I use the E-Save mode with Max Regen. Even when my wife has driven in Hybrid all the time, I am able to get it up to a max of 95% after a couple days driving. I have not charged Jud-e for a few weeks now.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It may not be correct, but anytime I drive Jud-e (that's her name!) I use the E-Save mode with Max Regen. Even when my wife has driven in Hybrid all the time, I am able to get it up to a max of 95% after a couple days driving. I have not charged Jud-e for a few weeks now.
Can you plug it in?

@ 0.09 cents per kWh you can fill the entire 17.1 kW battery at a cost of ~$1.50 which gets you ~ 20 - 25 miles.

@ $3.20 for a gallon of premium gas, you get ~ 20 - 25 miles.

It may not sound like much, but 25 miles per day covers about 9000 miles a year of driving. On gas those 9000 miles cost ~$1100, on electric those miles cost ~$550.

By recharging your battery with the gas engine your mpg will drop too, I tried to be fair and used 25 miles per gallon for gas, and 25 miles of range on electric in my calculations, but I suspect e-save will give you even worst mpg.

If you can plug it in, and avoid your peak hour pricing of your electrical utility, you can actually save a lot, especially if you do less than 25 miles per day.

My utility has peak pricing between 2 PM and 8 PM daily, so I programmed my level 2 charger to not charge the Jeep during those hours. I leave it plugged into the charger when at home all the time, so I maximize the use of EV when I use the Jeep.

·
Registered
11 Posts
@hairamess You meant 9 cents per kWh right? That's the pretty good average rate - we pay 6 cents here in Oregon which is lower than most states. If you can buy electricity for 1/100 that rate let me know as I'll move and start crypto mining! :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
@hairamess You meant 9 cents per kWh right? That's the pretty good average rate - we pay 6 cents here in Oregon which is lower than most states. If you can buy electricity for 1/100 that rate let me know as I'll move and start crypto mining! :)
Yes 9 cents, I make no “cents” some times 😃

My lowest current TOU rate with my utility in AZ is 6.91 cents, but I used 9 cents to make this case. They have a EV TOU rate, that is even lower, but I have not applied for it.

24.09 cents is my highest rate, and to fill my 17.1 kWh battery during those hours, would cost $4.12, not really that good to cover about 20 - 25 miles on EV. That is why for these 4xe Jeep’s, as EV’s, they are not very efficient, because unlike a Tesla, the Jeep’s power goes through a gearbox and transfer case, and that allows the Jeep to climb big rocks.

A Tesla can probably cover 65 - 100 miles with 17.1 kWh of energy, therefore charging a Tesla at any hour/day allows you more savings than gas. You need to make sure you can fill the 4xe at less than 18 cents per kWh to make it cheaper than premium gas at $3.20/gallon.

Use the schedule in your chargers, or Jeep to avoid charging during the peak hours, and you will get good savings, allowing these Jeeps to slip into your utilities peak periods will be costly.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'll add, don't buy a 4xe to save money or money on gas. But doing that math helps.

Purchase if you both want a Wrangler and for:

• Reduce emissions for what is most people's day to day driving.
  • Smooth and quiet driving
  • Slow speed control
  • Good torque and HP
  • Love being on latest tech (minus Uconnect, and ACC smarts)
It's like buying a sports car insisting on 87 octane and cheap tires.

Those shared ChargePoint stations can run slow when two vehicles are charging at the same time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
idk saving money is important. And folks should certainly factor that in to any decision. And this favors the 4xe a lot considering how expensive gas is today.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts