Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
PlugShare is the easy go-to for this.

Just set up your vehicle to filter out DC fast chargers and only show compatible L2. Also, read some of the reviews at the charging station that you are looking to use as you'll find useful information on where to find them and if they are even worth attempting.

·
Registered
990 Posts
PlugShare seems to be the best overall. Just be prepared to be disappointed at what it finds for you tho. It's mostly chargers that cost 2-3x more than just using gas, are out of order, or already have cars parked in them.
That is why I said keep an eye on the reviews.

I also use the Volta app in more populated metro areas since they are often free and located in shopping areas. My wife was able to hit the mall yesterday and top the battery off for free while she was doing some gift shopping.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I just downloaded the ChargeHub app after seeing it rated #1 in an article. Haven't tried PlugShare yet but that was listed as #2 on the list.

ChargeHub is pretty nice. It also shows up on Android Auto which was super convenient to have.
Plugshare tends to be the one that seems to get the most mentions on the r/electricvehicles and r/evcharging pages.

Chargepoint isn't a bad one to have in your arsenal as there are some free charging sites that you come across that use this service, but you may need the app and an account to activate the chargers. (this also happens to be the same brand that I have at home, so using it on the road was also very convenient)

Plugshare and Chargepoint also show up on AndroidAuto.

·
Registered
52 Posts
PlugShare seems to be the best overall. Just be prepared to be disappointed at what it finds for you tho. It's mostly chargers that cost 2-3x more than just using gas, are out of order, or already have cars parked in them.
Exactly, I found out pretty quick that it's cheaper to buy gas than it is to charge at a public charging station.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Exactly, I found out pretty quick that it's cheaper to buy gas than it is to charge at a public charging station.
Unless the charging is free, there is no real reason to charge out in public with a PHEV.

We are lucky to live in an area with a good amount of EV adoption, so there are a good amount of Free chargers sprinkled throughout the area in popular shopping spots. They also seemed to be in decent shape as well.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I am trying to think of a time I would ever need to use a public charger on a PHEV and it is really only when it is free and I am going to be there for while. Paying to use a public L2 charger for the 2 hours it takes to get 26 miles of EV just doesn't make any sense at all to me. I am sure there are situations where people just can't get level 2 charging at home (apartment/condo rules, no circuits left, etc) but even then PHEVs just aren't designed for that use case. And in my opinion that is the selling point of PHEVs; The public charging infrastructure is so far behind EV adoption, in my opinion, so the PHEV exists to charge at home and use locally.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I am trying to think of a time I would ever need to use a public charger on a PHEV and it is really only when it is free and I am going to be there for while want the prime parking spot up front of the shopping center. Paying to use a public L2 charger for the 2 hours it takes to get 26 miles of EV just doesn't make any sense at all to me. I am sure there are situations where people just can't get level 2 charging at home (apartment/condo rules, no circuits left, etc) but even then PHEVs just aren't designed for that use case. And in my opinion that is the selling point of PHEVs; The public charging infrastructure is so far behind EV adoption, in my opinion, so the PHEV exists to charge at home and use locally.
Fixed it for you...

Most of the VOLTA chargers around here are free and right at the front with a handicap size space built around it.

·
Registered
2022 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve 4xe
254 Posts
Unless the charging is free, there is no real reason to charge out in public with a PHEV.

We are lucky to live in an area with a good amount of EV adoption, so there are a good amount of Free chargers sprinkled throughout the area in popular shopping spots. They also seemed to be in decent shape as well.
I charged at a ChargePoint location next to a coffee shop I was going to just I was already going to the coffee shop and It's hard to get a charge in while I'm visiting family for Thanksgiving break. Sure I could use gas but I like the experience of driving electric and I don't like the sound of the engine.

The ChargePoint location charged $1 per hour which would be equivalent to ~10 miles whereas gas is at least $3/gallon where I am and a gallon of gas is just 23 miles right? So for me, it's really about if it's convenient to publicly charge and it's available then I'll do it. But I'm definitely not going out of my way to wait 2.5 hours to fully charge my car.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am trying to think of a time I would ever need to use a public charger on a PHEV and it is really only when it is free and I am going to be there for while. Paying to use a public L2 charger for the 2 hours it takes to get 26 miles of EV just doesn't make any sense at all to me. I am sure there are situations where people just can't get level 2 charging at home (apartment/condo rules, no circuits left, etc) but even then PHEVs just aren't designed for that use case. And in my opinion that is the selling point of PHEVs; The public charging infrastructure is so far behind EV adoption, in my opinion, so the PHEV exists to charge at home and use locally.
I live in a condo, to install a charger it's over $5,000 Canadian dollars.

So I mostly charge for free, most of my round trips are under 10km(30%-40% battery), so I pull into the retail mall near me 8-10 minutes walk, and keep topping up, there are also 2 locations of city chargers $2 per hour $4 for a full charge, or off peak $3 flat rate.

Same driving would cost me $7-8 of gas, but I now drive for mostly free, but you are right a PHEV can be an issue if you don't have access to a home charger, I'm just lucky, it would be easier if I had a full EV, hopefully I can get the Recon when it comes out.

Paid charging in Toronto is a lot cheaper than gas $5usd a gallon here, I find most paid charges with a high price, is mostly to discourage people from using their charger, dealerships and similar have very expensive charging rates, but I can understand, last thing they want is some EV snob hogging their charger, when they need to charge up a customer car.

one year with this 4xe and it appears the EV crowd are some selfish people.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts