Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so pretty major issue popped up with the 4XE this afternoon.
Driving on 95N in esave when the engine just cut out and RPM went down to zero. Display had the red electric charge symbol with a message "Service charge system now" and "Place car in park" with the Drive showing a flashing D. We coasted the JL over to the shoulder. Place the JL car in park and then it went back to the standard "push start and press the brake". Thank heavens JL started back up. Interestingly the "Service charge system" is for when you car is in park and is actively charging with the recommendation to unplug and plug back in your Echarger. Guess it's a trip to the dealership Monday. Jeep was picked up from the dealership on April 17th. Will update once we hear from Wrangler, but have a sinking feeling it won't be a fast turn around :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ours has been in the shop everyday since we purchased it. FCA is working with us.
Ours is now 7 days in the shop with a similar situation, except it would not fire back up in any mode and I had it towed to a local dealership.

I was contacted by a gentleman in Detroit, who may have quit at this point because I have left two messages for him and calls not been returned, who represented the 4xe group and said he's working with the shop.

This feels Ford Fiesta like... and at this point I'm thinking 30 days and Lemon Law, honestly. I hear they're looking at swapping my whole hybrid battery out, but my local service advisor hasn't contacted me in a couple of days either.

Yo, if bot Darlene chimes in and asks me for my VIN, etc... via private message I'm going to lose my S on this site.

My trust in this vehicle has eroded at an exponential rate to being near zero. I don't want a disassembled vehicle returned to me; I have fears it will begin to sound like a TJ very shortly afterward as things are not torqued correctly or reassembled. Or it doesn't even fix the problem and I get a Microsoft Windows solution. "Well, turn it off and turn it back on and see if that clears the error." - Thanks IT.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Update from the dealership...
Needs new wiring harness. It’s been in the shop for 8 days, eta for new harness is May 22nd

·
Registered
23 Posts
in esave when the engine just cut out and RPM went down to zero. Display had the red electric charge symbol with a message "Service charge system now"
Ours has been in the shop everyday since we purchased it.
Ours is now 7 days in the shop with a similar situation, except it would not fire back up in any mode and I had it towed to a local dealership.
Needs new wiring harness. It’s been in the shop for 8 days,
Sorry to hear about this....and I thought a $14 Crankshaft Position Sensor in my $15k '87 XJ was a hassle. See ya in Moab?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
4XE is now at the service department as of yesterday (took this long just to get it in). They called today to ask about the phone charge, so we went thru the whole scenario again. So that was a major confidence booster. Keep us updated on how things go, total BS, car spends more time at the dealership than with its owner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update from the service department, no issue found it was probably due to not having enough of a battery charge, I actually had to LOL, seriously dude I was in esave mode when the engine cut out at 70mph, mechanics response ummmm here is Chryslers phone # we are not sure what else to do. Guess I will be calling Chrysler tomorrow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
mine in shop 5 days now. Stating they may have to replace the whole $14,000 battery system. At this point I want a new Jeep not one that has been torn apart and put back together by non experts

·
Registered
2021 JLU 4xe HA
26 Posts
So I just had this exact thing happen yesterday on a full charge. I was in Hybrid mode and accelerated onto the fwy. The tack spiked then all these lights went on. Engine shut off and I had to coast to the side of the road. I power cycled a couple of times and drove home, but electric mode wouldn't work. Let the Jeep sit for about 10 min, then went outside to try and duplicate, of course, now the Jeep is running normal. Electric mode is back up and running and no codes were thrown. My nerves however are shot about being left drifting on a busy HWY. This could have caused a major accient if I wasn't able to get over to the shoulder. I had previously checked my fuses and did it again after this. I did find 3-4 that "clicked", but most seemed secure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Agreed on that!
Mine also message start popping day 2
Mine is in shop for 2 week now 1st they told its battery now saying need new harness system
Harness system ordered by dealer but back order by factory
Someone contact from jeep corporate office for star case # so they can expedite harness system.
Nothing yet still waiting .
Hope they solve this issue right way .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ours has been in the shop everyday since we purchased it. FCA is working with us.
I had the exact same error and problem. Due to bring it to the dealership on Wednesday. I've had mine 9 days total and this sprung up out of nowhere. Did you get any more info on the cause?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the exact same error and problem. Due to bring it to the dealership on Wednesday. I've had mine 9 days total and this sprung up out of nowhere. Did you get any more info on the cause?
Nope it’s nightmare with Jeep .
I recommend others not to buy right now .
Wait little until Jeep solves all issue with this model looks like they were not ready with EV/ Hybrid options .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So still am getting the issue, dealership has no idea what to do and since it does eventually start up they sort of don't want to deal with it. Guessing they will change their mind when I either get towed in or end up in a collision.

I do have one question for the folks who have had this issue, we have seen the following scenarios since the first time the engine shutdown (JL is now 37 days old) so would be interested to see if any of you experienced anything similar.

SCENARIO 1 - we have been in eSave mode but the electric keeps running (esave mode is set to battery charge not default battery save) and combustion engine doesn't turn on (not driving on the highway)
SCENARIO 2 - dashboard has the message "electric mode is unavailable" and combustion engine is the only engine running even if in hybrid. We stop and start multiple times but it doesn't resolve the issue.

In both scenarios we have driven 10/15 miles of local roads and all of a sudden the it will kick in

I only ask because I see dealerships are talking about replacing the electric harness (glad some of them want to do something vs. mine) but I am also wondering if this a not just a physical component issue but a computer/system issue if the vehicle cannot determine what it should be doing depending on the mode that is selected.

I am starting to video all of these scenarios so its all documented. Recommend folks do the same.

·
Registered
246 Posts
So still am getting the issue, dealership has no idea what to do and since it does eventually start up they sort of don't want to deal with it. Guessing they will change their mind when I either get towed in or end up in a collision.

I do have one question for the folks who have had this issue, we have seen the following scenarios since the first time the engine shutdown (JL is now 37 days old) so would be interested to see if any of you experienced anything similar.

SCENARIO 1 - we have been in eSave mode but the electric keeps running (esave mode is set to battery charge not default battery save) and combustion engine doesn't turn on (not driving on the highway)
SCENARIO 2 - dashboard has the message "electric mode is unavailable" and combustion engine is the only engine running even if in hybrid. We stop and start multiple times but it doesn't resolve the issue.

In both scenarios we have driven 10/15 miles of local roads and all of a sudden the it will kick in

I only ask because I see dealerships are talking about replacing the electric harness (glad some of them want to do something vs. mine) but I am also wondering if this a not just a physical component issue but a computer/system issue if the vehicle cannot determine what it should be doing depending on the mode that is selected.

I am starting to video all of these scenarios so its all documented. Recommend folks do the same.
This is certainly not the experience that we want you to have. Our team would like to would like to assist in any way that we can. Please send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, and dealer to get started.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
6 Posts
UPDATE: had the Jeep towed to the dealership yesterday morning for my appointment. I private messaged @JeepCares and by 2pm FCA had reached out to me. I was assured Jeep engineers were working with the dealership repair team to find the problem. Today I got an update from the dealership. Their tests show a failure in the hybrid battery system. Waiting to hear from Jeep on authorization to replace the batteries as well as any other diagnostic testing that needs to happen. I'll update further as I get more information, but so far I'm glad the problems are being found and identified. FCA also worked to help secure me a rental for however long this process takes. They've been quite helpful and on the ball I must admit. Just hoping that this isn't weeks in the shop.

1 - 20 of 274 Posts