Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
401 - 419 of 419 Posts

· Customer Care Team
395 Posts
Okay, so I went to the dealership to pick up a new Sahara 4xe with the Sky 1 touch top. The jeep broke down on my way home!!! I got stuck at a traffic light with the “Service Charging System” error. I could not restart the Jeep unless I opened/closed the door first. It stalled again 100 yards down the road, so I called the dealer to pick it up. The dealer said they would void the deal if they can’t figure out the issue on Monday. Which isn’t a great option since inventory is so low, it might take months to get another. So frustrating to learn there are so many issues with these 4xe
We regret to hear of this happening so soon in ownership, Shocker1975. Send us a private message and keep us updated on how things go at the dealer. We can certainly provide additional support while it's in for service.

Kate
Jeep Cares

· Registered
7 Posts
Well add mine to the list. @JeepCares I live in Oregon and it is currently up in Yakima at that dealership. I was out overlanding, just finished 100+ miles offroad. Took some epic photos. So glad it didn't die at the location in the photo. It died at camp, which luckily on this night was only about a half mile down a rough road that a tow truck could still creep down too.

My symptoms were I woke up in the morning and the Jeeps 12v was completely dead. It was fine when I went to bed. Hybrid battery had more than 30%. When I put the jumper cables on and got the dash to light up it was that dreaded message.

We got the following messages - service charging system and service hybrid electric vehicle system.

Our jeep has 15730 miles. It was made in March of 21 and I bought it 2nd hand from a Jeep dealership in Salem in December of 21, where they had done some software updates before giving it back to me.

Tire Sky Cloud Wheel Vehicle

This is an extremely dangerous, self preservation, type of code. I am not exactly sure what is going on but I want to know why this is happening. Even when a check engine light comes on, the owner gets to make a choice, drive to safety and possibly write off the engine or not. In our case, had it happened here it would have been very hard to get it back to a place where it could be towed. This was taken about 3 hours earlier.

We love the Jeep platform and the family. This has shaken us.

· Customer Care Team
395 Posts
Well add mine to the list. @JeepCares I live in Oregon and it is currently up in Yakima at that dealership. I was out overlanding, just finished 100+ miles offroad. Took some epic photos. So glad it didn't die at the location in the photo. It died at camp, which luckily on this night was only about a half mile down a rough road that a tow truck could still creep down too.

My symptoms were I woke up in the morning and the Jeeps 12v was completely dead. It was fine when I went to bed. Hybrid battery had more than 30%. When I put the jumper cables on and got the dash to light up it was that dreaded message.

We got the following messages - service charging system and service hybrid electric vehicle system.

Our jeep has 15730 miles. It was made in March of 21 and I bought it 2nd hand from a Jeep dealership in Salem in December of 21, where they had done some software updates before giving it back to me.

View attachment 6791

This is an extremely dangerous, self preservation, type of code. I am not exactly sure what is going on but I want to know why this is happening. Even when a check engine light comes on, the owner gets to make a choice, drive to safety and possibly write off the engine or not. In our case, had it happened here it would have been very hard to get it back to a place where it could be towed. This was taken about 3 hours earlier.

Thanks for tagging us. If you need support at the dealership, send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

· Registered
2023 Wrangler Red 4xe
17 Posts

View attachment 6791

I am reading thru a lot of these messages and faults- a little nervous as my new Sahara is on the way.
but a take-a-way I sense from all of this is that #1 is to seat all the fuses as soon as you take delivery.
Also, strongly suspect mopar installs low quality 12v batteries. That is more of a suspicion than fact- cannot say it is a fact but shortly after I get the new 4xe, will replace the 12v battery with an odyssey performance battery. Perhaps it’s silly to take this precaution on a brand new car but do not wish to get stuck. Most 4xe‘s are ok with no problems but for me, would rather be safe than sorry.
cheers
john

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #405 ·
Update from the dealership. After taking a look at ut and the multiple error messages it was throwing they are opening a Star ticket which is standard operating procedure for any electrical issues. Not sure what to say about that, feel like my JL is just one more lab mouse in the Jeep 4XE experiment - only difference is the end user is funding the majority of the R&D vs the company.

· Registered
7 Posts
I am reading thru a lot of these messages and faults- a little nervous as my new Sahara is on the way.
but a take-a-way I sense from all of this is that #1 is to seat all the fuses as soon as you take delivery.
Also, strongly suspect mopar installs low quality 12v batteries. That is more of a suspicion than fact- cannot say it is a fact but shortly after I get the new 4xe, will replace the 12v battery with an odyssey performance battery. Perhaps it’s silly to take this precaution on a brand new car but do not wish to get stuck. Most 4xe‘s are ok with no problems but for me, would rather be safe than sorry.
cheers
john
Yah I would say that is fair. I have considered installing a Ampere Time Lithium battery in place of the 12v battery but know it wouldn't run a winch. I still need to do some research but that is the path I am thinking about.

· Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for tagging us. If you need support at the dealership, send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares
So I heard back from the service manager at the dealership today. They told me that the hybrid vehicle system went into a lock out mode after the 12v battery dropped below 10v. Something he referred to as "High voltage isolation mode". How is it possible that this is a thing? I charged the 12v battery up, removed cables and fuses so the 12v system was disconnected and yet I still couldn't get it to turn back on. @JeepCares We have to be able to jump our vehicles, replace our batteries, or charge them back up when the 12v dies! What is going on here?

· Registered
5 Posts
Okay, so I went to the dealership to pick up a new Sahara 4xe with the Sky 1 touch top. The jeep broke down on my way home!!! I got stuck at a traffic light with the “Service Charging System” error. I could not restart the Jeep unless I opened/closed the door first. It stalled again 100 yards down the road, so I called the dealer to pick it up. The dealer said they would void the deal if they can’t figure out the issue on Monday. Which isn’t a great option since inventory is so low, it might take months to get another. So frustrating to learn there are so many issues with these 4xe
Update
- The dealer believes it’s the Inverter. It sounds like Jeep HQ agrees with their assessment. They are actually sending the new inverter next week. Now I need to decide if I want the car, or want to void the transaction and order a new one.

· Registered
8 Posts
Ok so pretty major issue popped up with the 4XE this afternoon. Driving on 95N in esave when the engine just cut out and RPM went down to zero. Display had the red electric charge symbol with a message "Service charge system now" and "Place car in park" with the Drive showing a flashing D. We coasted the JL over to the shoulder. Place the JL car in park and then it went back to the standard "push start and press the brake". Thank heavens JL started back up. Interestingly the "Service charge system" is for when you car is in park and is actively charging with the recommendation to unplug and plug back in your Echarger. Guess it's a trip to the dealership Monday. Jeep was picked up from the dealership on April 17th. Will update once we hear from Wrangler, but have a sinking feeling it won't be a fast turn around :(
This just happened to me. I own a 2022 Sahara Wrangler 4XE. It has less than 2000 miles on it. I was driving in hybrid mode and it all of a sudden just shutdown on me while driving. I am going to take it in but has anyone had good outcomes from it once fixed? Did you get an update from Jeep? I’m super nervous about driving it now and don’t feel safe at all. It sucks because I loved my car :(

· Customer Care Team
395 Posts
This just happened to me. I own a 2022 Sahara Wrangler 4XE. It has less than 2000 miles on it. I was driving in hybrid mode and it all of a sudden just shutdown on me while driving. I am going to take it in but has anyone had good outcomes from it once fixed? Did you get an update from Jeep? I’m super nervous about driving it now and don’t feel safe at all. It sucks because I loved my car :(
Hi there! if you need extra support at your upcoming appointment, feel free to let us know.

Kate
Jeep Cares

· Registered
1,026 Posts
Unless the code is still there or they can reproduce the issue, odds are the service department will do nothing. Even with a code their hands are often tied if they can't make any sense of of the code.

They just seem limited by the diagnostic procedures Jeep calls for and Jeep/Stelantis doesn't seem to consider turning off on the highway a serious issue.

Good luck!

· Registered
2022 JLU Rubicon 4xe
6 Posts
It seems this issue had died down and was isolated to the 2021 model, but it just happened to me on my 2022 Rubicon with 6200 miles on it. I got a service charging system error and a pull over now and wait for engine to start message and a blinking drive light when it tried to turn the engine on in hybrid mode after the battery depleted. Luckily I was almost to a stop sign and was able to duck into a gas station parking lot before it locked up. I thought maybe I had a faulty 12 volt battery causing the computer to malfunction and was getting ready to jump out and check voltage and put my charge pack on to see if it would start when I tried to turn it off. When I hit the button rather than turning off the engine started and I was able to drive home. I charged it overnight and was able to get it to the dealer yesterday. Very frustrating, I don’t trust it now, especially after reading this and other threads. No way I would let my wife and grand kids head out in it. Still have the driveline vibration issue too.

· Customer Care Team
395 Posts
It seems this issue had died down and was isolated to the 2021 model, but it just happened to me on my 2022 Rubicon with 6200 miles on it. I got a service charging system error and a pull over now and wait for engine to start message and a blinking drive light when it tried to turn the engine on in hybrid mode after the battery depleted. Luckily I was almost to a stop sign and was able to duck into a gas station parking lot before it locked up. I thought maybe I had a faulty 12 volt battery causing the computer to malfunction and was getting ready to jump out and check voltage and put my charge pack on to see if it would start when I tried to turn it off. When I hit the button rather than turning off the engine started and I was able to drive home. I charged it overnight and was able to get it to the dealer yesterday. Very frustrating, I don’t trust it now, especially after reading this and other threads. No way I would let my wife and grand kids head out in it. Still have the driveline vibration issue too.
Hello, srj67! If you need some support while working with the dealership, feel free to reach out.

Kate
Jeep Cares

· Registered
2022 JLU Rubicon 4xe
6 Posts

· Registered
2022 JLU Rubicon 4xe
6 Posts
2 weeks today and no real news. I stopped in on Saturday as I couldn’t get a response via text to see what, if any, progress is being made. I found out they are still diagnosing the vibration issue and haven’t even gotten to the real problem of the Jeep shutting down with the charge fault and pull over NOW and wait for engine to start. At this point I’m hoping we get past the 30 day mark (only one more week to go as I had it in the at the other dealership for the vibration issue over a week right after I bought it) and I can start the lemon law process to get rid of it. It’s a shame, I love the Jeep. But I need a reliable vehicle to get back and forth to work. I have had great luck with FCA vehicles until now, but this is terrible. They were obviously too young to release into the wild. Hopefully a couple more model years will produce something reliable again.

· Registered
18 Posts
Add my 2021 4Xe to the list of Jeeps with the same issue. 6,800 miles and vehicle had to be towed to Jeep today at a most inconvenient time. Same issue. Hybrid failure if some kind. Can’t get vehicle out of Park. I guess since many of the complaints started a year ago, Jeep hasn’t been too quick to resolve this situation.
I have a 2022 (April ‘22 build), same mileage at 6,800 and a similar issue, bricked after charging. Towed to the dealer last week, was told Monday it needs a new HV battery. Crickets since with no loaner or rental. Reached out to Jeep, nothing but crickets as well.

· Customer Care Team
395 Posts
I have a 2022 (April ‘22 build), same mileage at 6,800 and a similar issue, bricked after charging. Towed to the dealer last week, was told Monday it needs a new HV battery. Crickets since with no loaner or rental. Reached out to Jeep, nothing but crickets as well.
Hey.

If you have a case opened, we'd be happy to review. Feel free to send a private message to chat further.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Reactions: Xtremejm

· Registered
18 Posts
Hey.

If you have a case opened, we'd be happy to review. Feel free to send a private message to chat further.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Thank you for your message and nudging the case manager. We are still waiting on Jeep engineering to confirm dealers findings and order a new High Voltage battery. Since mid-December the Jeep has been in Service for warranty-related issues nearly 3-weeks and looking to be at least another week. Word of advice to all, find a dealer that offers loaners for extended service visits.

401 - 419 of 419 Posts