Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to find out about the check engine light staying on. Please share any information on the topic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just had the same issue, but didn't post about it. Was told it was the battery module (which I think is the PIM everyone else mentions). So add another to that list. It's not installed yet, but only supped to take a few days to receive.

Also, the dealerships are receiving computer updates for false CEL activation (among other things). They should install anything they have at your next appointment. It took 2 hours to install all the new ones since my prior visit... there were I think 17.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We got ours back just a few days ago after being at the dealer for several weeks waiting for the parts for the ABS module fix that’s been discussed elsewhere on this forum. And, of course, in less than a week the CEL came on and stayed on after just a few days of feeling like we maybe made it through the ridiculousness that is early 4xe ownership. Taking it in to the dealer today to see what the CEL issue is now. The 4xe seems to have far too many gremlins. I don’t have much hope for a quick solution after what I went through with Jeep Customer Care either, but we’ll see. I’ve already been flamed for sharing my negative experiences on this forum and not showering praise on this vehicle, but the many others in my position need to know that these are not isolated issues. Please continue to report experiences to NHTSA so that maybe Jeep eventually addresses the serious issues with the 4xe.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just turned to 1200 miles. I had the check engine light come on a few times. I found it was A) related to my fuel cap and B) related to the oil catch can i installed. For some reason the 4xe does not like having a catch can installed. I put everything back the way it is and it has been running fine and no more check engine light either. Other than that I still love it and have zero issues. Other than mine doesnt have the tire fill alert as a setting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
@JeepCares
My 4xe's check engine light went on at 1,800 miles. After a bunch of internet research, I checked the gas cap (repeatedly); no luck turning off the CEL. Then I checked the fuses. Nine of them were not seated properly. I tightened them. CEL is still on so I do not think these two commonly cited problems are my CEL issues.
However I do have one other issue that I think MIGHT be related to the CEL. I'd like you to tell me if this has been observed or considered.
I am charging on a 220V Level 2 charger. Occasionally I will go to the garage after an overnight charge and the 5th charge light is still blinking and the car says it is only charged to 99% despite having as many EV miles available as when it charges to 100%. Here is where my theory comes in: as I understand it, the EV must send a signal to the charger that the vehicle is "full", at which point the charger stops trying to feed the car. What if that line of code in the 4xe is "bad", i.e. not telling the charger to stop feeding it? Would that trigger a CEL?
If so, is anyone working on a software update that would address this issue?

Any feedback you can provide would be very much appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Jeep just hit 1300 miles and it’s in the shop. The CEL came on and the red turtle of death light came on along with the electronic throttle control light illuminated and I was unable to move. Roadside assistance was very helpful, but 2 hours sitting in a parking lot in a Jeep that was 65k is frustrating. Once I arrived to the dealership, I was told that they had no loaner cars and I would have to get a rental car. I would have to pay for the car and request a refund from Chrysler- and hope for a check.

·
Registered
201 Posts
@JeepCares
My 4xe's check engine light went on at 1,800 miles. After a bunch of internet research, I checked the gas cap (repeatedly); no luck turning off the CEL. Then I checked the fuses. Nine of them were not seated properly. I tightened them. CEL is still on so I do not think these two commonly cited problems are my CEL issues.
However I do have one other issue that I think MIGHT be related to the CEL. I'd like you to tell me if this has been observed or considered.
I am charging on a 220V Level 2 charger. Occasionally I will go to the garage after an overnight charge and the 5th charge light is still blinking and the car says it is only charged to 99% despite having as many EV miles available as when it charges to 100%. Here is where my theory comes in: as I understand it, the EV must send a signal to the charger that the vehicle is "full", at which point the charger stops trying to feed the car. What if that line of code in the 4xe is "bad", i.e. not telling the charger to stop feeding it? Would that trigger a CEL?
If so, is anyone working on a software update that would address this issue?

Any feedback you can provide would be very much appreciated!
Hi, Mindoo.Sadly, we are not trained technicians so we cannot speculate on what you have mentioned. We recommend that you haven't already, that you get in touch with your dealer for assistance and their trained techs will assist you. If you need support while there, let us know in private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

1 - 8 of 8 Posts