Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased my 4xe 5/15 on 6/11 check engine light appeared. What I remember about that day prior to CEL, I was at home charging with charger that came with Jeep. I heard a loud noise inside the house coming from garage, it sounded like fan. It didn't last long. I went to dealer close to my house. They didn't see any messages and reset. It appeared again and I went to dealer I purchased. The service department was not knowledgeable.
I asked him to read and he indicated three warnings appeared. He was not familiar with the codes and wasn’t sure what it meant. Then he went to I believe Rapheal and he was not sure either. They stated the only mechanic that has been trained with 4xe is in class and can’t look at it. Adrian was ok and was going to let me leave. I asked is it okay to drive with these indicators he was not sure, I asked Rapheal and he was still uncertain but we agreed to leave my Jeep. I got a loaner, thank you but however. First, I received a filthy car. The porter only vacuumed the front. I had to request it to be washed. Not realizing the back was disgusting and basically trash in the car and a parking pass was in the dash. I stopped at store to disinfect the car. I walked away feeling not confident in your service department. With my other jeep, I have serviced at Safford, Tysons, Browns, Lindsay and never had just an experience.

On 6/13 I was called and asked to bring in my home charger. We did. My husband asked for update from service advisor, he stated to him I didn’t know I needed to explain anything to you. My husband said yes you do.

No communication on Wednesday. I actually sent email asking for service advisor to have rear camera checked because of intermittent camera lines appear in back up mode and sent a text with a jeep4xe forum.. When it I go in reverse it should show all the time. The forum shows this is a common issue CEL and back up camera. NO response.

On Thursday. Service advisor called stated that the issue is when I use like a Volta at shopping center or any other remote charging station this is the problem. I find it hard to believe that Jeep designed a hybrid that you can only use your charger that came with vehicle. I asked about the email. He said he didn’t see it. Then looked it up. So as far as I know they didn’t look at the issue. I also specifically stated that I find that not to be true about my charger is the only charger is the only one to use. I went to pick up my vehicle, it was dirty, bird poop on my Jeep and I asked you could have rinsed my vehicle, I was told due to one touch sky roof, you don’t clean. Well when I purchased my vehicle, while I was finishing my paperwork guess what? My Jeep went and got cleaned.

I started to transfer items from loaner to Jeep. I had my children with me and put them in Jeep. It was extremely hot in Jeep, I started and turned on AC, and my car was SO LOUD. I was at service advisor's desk and my Jeep was by the barrel at entrance into mechanic garage where they work on cars and you could hear my Jeep. Over 65 feet away and in a service bay. Far from my Jeep. Service advisor told me it was because the AC was on. When I dropped my Jeep off and for the three weeks of me having the Jeep I can assure you I had the AC on and never did it make that noise when I had AC on full blast. That noise and as loud as it was, that was the noise I did hear when my Jeep was charging on 6/11 at home. I went and got my sales person, we walked out the door by cashier and she could hear how loud the Jeep was. My Jeep never made that noise. And for me to be told by service advisor like this is normal because of AC is on, is disappointing and frustrating. A supervisor came and had some mechanic come and he said it could be fan, my jeep is a hybrid. I asked for the issues to be detailed and I have called Jeep to complain. I am beyond frustrated and disappointed. I did not buy a 59k Jeep to have these issues. I understand this is the first year for the 4xe and it is fine I should walk away that there is competent staff to resolve. So I am back in my loaner and MY jeep was not making that noise when I turned on my AC prior to me dropping off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My check engine light went on after a 2.5 hour drive a month after purchasing. At the dealer now for 5 days now. They said it’s something to do with the fuel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve had my Jeep Sahara 4xe for 1 week, before the check engine light came on. Now it’s at the dealer, said they ran a diagnostic and still can’t figure it out

·
Registered
179 Posts
My check engine light went on after a 2.5 hour drive a month after purchasing. At the dealer now for 5 days now. They said it’s something to do with the fuel.
I’ve had my Jeep Sahara 4xe for 1 week, before the check engine light came on. Now it’s at the dealer, said they ran a diagnostic and still can’t figure it out
Hey, Dmatic and Jroses81. I would like to take a look at each of your concerns further. Please separately private message me details of your concerns and I can get started.

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey, Dmatic and Jroses81. I would like to take a look at each of your concerns further. Please separately private message me details of your concerns and I can get started.

Kate
Jeep Cares
I’ve been reading about the same hardware- and software problems for several months now. Please tell me Jeep has identified and compiled a list of all the issues and symptoms by now - and that there are accurate diagnoses on the table?

I have test drove two different Wrangler 4XE’s by now and they both broke down after like 10-15 min (red turtle problem). The authorized dealers didn’t have a clue what was wrong, which is somewhat disturbing as it signals a lack of knowledge and communication from Jeep HQ.

Sorry for being Debbie Downer, but I honestly feel that if I were to buy a Wrangler 4XE, it might just be a smart proactive move to pre-book an appointment at the service center before leaving the dealer - because I’m likely to pay them a visit anyway.

A curious question: Did the Compass & the Renegade experience similar issues?

P.S. This is not personal, I think what you’re doing is great. 🙏

·
Registered
179 Posts
I’ve been reading about the same hardware- and software problems for several months now. Please tell me Jeep has identified and compiled a list of all the issues and symptoms by now - and that there are accurate diagnoses on the table?

I have test drove two different Wrangler 4XE’s by now and they both broke down after like 10-15 min (red turtle problem). The authorized dealers didn’t have a clue what was wrong, which is somewhat disturbing as it signals a lack of knowledge and communication from Jeep HQ.

Sorry for being Debbie Downer, but I honestly feel that if I were to buy a Wrangler 4XE, it might just be a smart proactive move to pre-book an appointment at the service center before leaving the dealer - because I’m likely to pay them a visit anyway.

A curious question: Did the Compass & the Renegade experience similar issues?

P.S. This is not personal, I think what you’re doing is great. 🙏
Hi, Mike. I can assure you that our teams are internally collecting all data necessary to help pinpoint the cause of these concerns. I am sorry to hear of the red turtle problem you experienced while at the dealer too, if you end up purchasing and need any assistance, we are here to help.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Reactions: Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone
I got my Rubicon 4e less than 24 hours ago, after waiting for 3 months on it.
Anyways, the check engine light and brake light is on and no matter what I do, they will not turn off.
Also to charge the car on the Level 2 charger that I have, I have to plug, remove then plug again to have it going.
Going to the dealer tomorrow. This is the first time a brand new car of mine has issues so early on. Anyways lets see what the issue is.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi everyone
I got my Rubicon 4e less than 24 hours ago, after waiting for 3 months on it.
Anyways, the check engine light and brake light is on and no matter what I do, they will not turn off.
Also to charge the car on the Level 2 charger that I have, I have to plug, remove then plug again to have it going.
Going to the dealer tomorrow. This is the first time a brand new car of mine has issues so early on. Anyways lets see what the issue is.
Hey, Svart24. If you need an extra layer of assistance while you're at the dealer, please don't hesitate to reach out to our team in private message and let us know.

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had the CEL come on after 4000+ miles, which happened immediately after I refueled at a random gas station (a brand of station I’d never seen before). Same station put a ‘PENDING’ hold on credit card of $300, but that is another matter.

75 miles later the light is off. In another 75 or so I’ll fuel up with high octane. I chalk up the CEL situation to bad gas.

That said, my issue with the Wrangler is more so with the clicking/snapping sound that started very early on and comes from left side of front axle whenever I’m oversteering/maneuvering, such as in a parking lot or driveway. It is really noticeable and I’ve seem on other forums it’s not uncommon for Wranglers to have this issue.

I brought it in to dealership and was told the service tech knew the issue immediately and ordered the necessary part. It’s now almost two months later and I guess they are still waiting for the part, though they did say it’s ok to drive this way.

But it’s really annoying.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just had the CEL come on after 4000+ miles, which happened immediately after I refueled at a random gas station (a brand of station I’d never seen before). Same station put a ‘PENDING’ hold on credit card of $300, but that is another matter.

75 miles later the light is off. In another 75 or so I’ll fuel up with high octane. I chalk up the CEL situation to bad gas.

That said, my issue with the Wrangler is more so with the clicking/snapping sound that started very early on and comes from left side of front axle whenever I’m oversteering/maneuvering, such as in a parking lot or driveway. It is really noticeable and I’ve seem on other forums it’s not uncommon for Wranglers to have this issue.

I brought it in to dealership and was told the service tech knew the issue immediately and ordered the necessary part. It’s now almost two months later and I guess they are still waiting for the part, though they did say it’s ok to drive this way.

But it’s really annoying.
That is annoying, NiccoL! Although I cannot guarantee any certain outcome, I'd be happy to dig in further on this. Please send a private message with more details on your part situation.

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone, update on the saga.
As I mentioned above. 3 months waiting for the car. Fully loaded Rubicon 4e and 80K later I have no car.
I took "delivery" on a Tuesday evening. Drove 25 miles on Wednesday. ABS and Engine light came on. Took to the dealer on Thursday. Got a call today. Tuesday stating that the ABS module ETA is for September 8th. Altogether no car for over 5 months.
Have to say, at a loss right now. I know I have the law on my side, but it is just the disappointment with the whole experience that I feel is very heavy now.
Dealer told me that Jeep has a "star" case on my car, whatever that means....going to call them tomorrow. Feel at this point that I just want to return this thing and get all my money back.
Will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
166 miles and 4 days in... CEL :( briefly got a service charging station error. Noticed that the charging door was open after a trip. Closed it and drove and bam, opened again. Error went away but CEL is still on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
166 miles and 4 days in... CEL :( briefly got a service charging station error. Noticed that the charging door was open after a trip. Closed it and drove and bam, opened again. Error went away but CEL is still on.
All fuses seated and checked multiple times.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys,

Ordered 4xE High Altitude on 5/18 and took delivery on 7/10. As of Friday evening on 5/23, check engine light came on. Immediately checked fuses and all were seated and secure. I also checked to see if the gas cap was loose but that also was secure. I called my local dealer that following Monday and they can’t fit me in until another week and half from today (8/9). All my local dealers have no loaners (all sold they say) so I’ll be figure out a way to get work or spend money for Uber. Definitely an inconvenience for a 60k+ car that’s not even a month old. I currently have 1129mi on the vehicle.

·
Registered
39 Posts
while it's definitely not a solution and it's not something a new car owner should be concerned with, having an inexpensive OBD2 scanner on-hand can be helpful identifying these CEL codes and clearing them. $50 for one from Amazon may be less costly than the hassle and aggravation of having to go to the dealership for something like a fuel cap error. It's infuriating that CELs don't decode for you on the many screens in the car, but all manufacturers obscure CEL codes for some reason and scanners can be very helpful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I’ll have to look into it getting a scanner. Do you think it’s a faulty gas cap?? I haven’t had any problems with the cap. Also, doesn’t O’Reilly’s have a OBD2 scanner that’ll they can scan your car for free??

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have older cars as well and I had a scanner on hand when my 4xe had a CEL at 176 miles. The errors were P04EE "EVAP System Very Small Leak Detected - Fuel Tank Side" and P04EC "EVAP System Large Leak Detected - Fuel Tank Side". I reseated the gas cap and cleared the codes and it hasn't come back.
There's no way of knowing what the errors are until you can see the codes. Auto Parts stores can indeed read the codes, but sometimes they cannot clear them (technically they can, but they don't want to be accountable for helping someone cheat emissions). Check Engine Lights are typically related to emissions control systems and alert on things like fuel leaks, vacuum leaks, or other things that will cause the engine to run dirty. They won't alert on things related to the EV system, brakes, etc, so those charging errors, ABS errors, etc will need a different diagnosis. Lookin through these forums, loose hoses or poorly-seated gas caps seem to be more common cause for CELs.

I'd rather go to a back alley dentist than a dealership service waiting room, so anything I can figure out on my own is worth the effort! That's just me, though, and I'm sure I'll be there at least a few times with this car! The ups and downs of a first-generation product.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Appreciate the input and keep the comments coming. My 4xe High Altitude had the same check engine light, dealership has been working with Chrysler for nearly 2 weeks, so far nothing and updates are far and few between. Dealership says they are in 'wait' mode, waiting on Chrysler. Overall loved the jeep until this occurred. Error codes indicate it is related to the pressurized fuel system, but they seem at a loss to determine what should be done next. It did indicate a loose gas gap about 2 days prior to the CEL.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts