Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4xe Rubicon on order. I’m starting to research Level 2 chargers and my current (no pun intended) thinking is that the Jeep charger may be the best option.

Here’s my situation: I’ll be charging in a steel building located about 100‘ from our home. The wifi signal is weak to nonexistent. In researching reviews, I have seen a couple of recurring themes: (1) the smart chargers that are wifi-connected seem to often suffer from connectivity, app or software issues; and (2) individuals experiencing charging issues are often told their Level 2 chargers are (for unknown reasons) incompatible.

The Jeep/Mopar charger seems to be pretty straightforward—not much much more than a plug and play charger. I’m not too concerned about scheduling since that can be done from within the Jeep itself. The reviews I‘ve read seem to suggest owners experience few problems with the Jeep/Mopar charger. And, it would be a stretch for Jeep or a dealer to claim that a Jeep-branded charger is incompatible.

Probably on the pricey side for a no-frills charger, but seemingly reliable.

It seems like a reasonable choice. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I did a lot of research before buying and I went with the Grizzl-e Classic, which I got for $450 on Amazon. it's a plug-and-play just like the Jeep/Mopar one, but it has a few advantages including a premium casing that is built to handle extreme weather and internal dip switches that can be configured to charge at up to 40amps to future proof for upgrades over time.

IMHO the Jeep/Mopar charger is overpriced and there are better options, many of which are "unsmart", and therefore more affordable.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did a lot of research before buying and I went with the Grizzl-e Classic, which I got for $450 on Amazon. it's a plug-and-play just like the Jeep/Mopar one, but it has a few advantages including a premium casing that is built to handle extreme weather and internal dip switches that can be configured to charge at up to 40amps to future proof for upgrades over time.

IMHO the Jeep/Mopar charger is overpriced and there are better options, many of which are "unsmart", and therefore more affordable.

How do you like it? This is the charger (EVSE) that I'm considering.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks. I’ll check it out. I like the idea of being able to up the amperage should I need it down the line. I was already planning to spec the wiring to handle a future upgrade.

·
Registered
49 Posts
How do you like it? This is the charger (EVSE) that I'm considering.
It's fantastic! It was extremely easy to wall mount, the design and construction is top-tier, the holster for the J-1772 plug is really durable, and it's just so straight forward and easy.

Thanks. I’ll check it out. I like the idea of being able to up the amperage should I need it down the line. I was already planning to spec the wiring to handle a future upgrade.
That's what I did, wired it up to a 50-amp breaker to allow for upgrades down the line!

·
Registered
610 Posts
I think many of the issues people are getting could be related to their supply side. Then you throw in inconsistent Jeep build quality into the mix and it can get tough to know what's going wrong. I think the Jeep Level 2 EVSE may just be a rebranded unit. You could find the manufacturer and get the 40 amp version for future proofing.

While you aren't looking at a smart charger, I've been really geeking out over the enel X JuiceBox data. It has real time voltage, current, and temperature data and tracks kWh and amps during charging sessions. I designed a whole separate WiFi network at home specifically for my smart devices but I'd probably be running a CAT6 line out there with an AP. :) I've only had it a couple days, so no long term reliability yet.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe (on order)
26 Posts
4xe Rubicon on order. I’m starting to research Level 2 chargers and my current (no pun intended) thinking is that the Jeep charger may be the best option.

Here’s my situation: I’ll be charging in a steel building located about 100‘ from our home. The wifi signal is weak to nonexistent. In researching reviews, I have seen a couple of recurring themes: (1) the smart chargers that are wifi-connected seem to often suffer from connectivity, app or software issues; and (2) individuals experiencing charging issues are often told their Level 2 chargers are (for unknown reasons) incompatible.

The Jeep/Mopar charger seems to be pretty straightforward—not much much more than a plug and play charger. I’m not too concerned about scheduling since that can be done from within the Jeep itself. The reviews I‘ve read seem to suggest owners experience few problems with the Jeep/Mopar charger. And, it would be a stretch for Jeep or a dealer to claim that a Jeep-branded charger is incompatible.

Probably on the pricey side for a no-frills charger, but seemingly reliable.

It seems like a reasonable choice. Your thoughts?
Have you seen this thread?

As you, I am not interested in wifi and would prefer a basic charger. However, our electricity provider will reimburse up to $500 for the level 2 purchase. So I went with a unit without concern of cost but one that fits my needs and has received good reviews. It has added features that probably will net get used here. Best of luck in your shopping endeavors.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I too bought the Grizzl-e, the Smart version. My thinking was that for the modest increase in cost, it was worth it to have the Smart capability so as to “future proof” it. However, I do second the concern about WiFi connectivity. My charger is installed outside the house maybe 30 ft distance but in open air. It’s on the opposite side of the house from the indoor router and I found that the charger could not connect to the WiFi because it’s signal was not strong enough, probably because of the beefy metal enclosure on the Grizzl-e. My cell phone showed a good WiFi signal, but the charger tested otherwise. I had been having other issues with the router, which was about 6 years old…needed to be rebooted every couple of weeks. So I opted to get a new mesh system with 3 nodes, one strategically placed inside on the Grizzl-e side of the house. Problem solved as far as WiFi, but still waiting for delivery of my Jeep to confirm it all works!

·
Registered
65 Posts
One other point about the Grizzl-e, I have it wired on a 50 amp line, but the charger can be stepped down to 32.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Getting good WiFi can take some work!

Any need to step it down? The only thing I could see is if the Jeep's charger malfunctions and shorts out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Getting good WiFi can take some work!

Any need to step it down? The only thing I could see is if the Jeep's charger malfunctions and shorts out.
I’m thinking not to bother stepping down and just rely on Jeep’s functionality for that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I live in Canada so ordering the Grizzle-e Avalanche edition seemed appropriate! Should be in today or tomorrow, Jeep arrives this weekend.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I live in Canada so ordering the Grizzle-e Avalanche edition seemed appropriate! Should be in today or tomorrow, Jeep arrives this weekend.
That’s the one I bought. Main reason was a review saying it’s cord remains flexible in cold weather.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts