Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I should explain a little first: I never had a new car. Had some nice used ones but never new and I just used whatever car wash places I had around for when they needed to be less dirty.

Now I have this brand new, gorgeous specimen of a rubicon and it is dirty because I can't seem to bring myself to clean it. So yes, at 42 years old, I am asking this forum to educate me on how I should and can safely wash the jeep, inside (passenger and engine) and out.

My concerns are two-fold:
1. I don't want to scratch the hell out of this paint job - they did a great job and it's all black. Plus, I have components like the fenders that are just that rugged plastic and I live in Colorado, so after I clean the jeep I'd like to know what I can safely use to protect the paint and the non-paint surfaces due to our insane highland sun.
2. What are some things I can add to the jeep to protect it, ie bug/rock guards (looking for recommendations) and other items that see high wear (like doorways) to prevent damage and keep things cleaner.

A broad topic I know but as someone who grew up with vehicles that were tractors and cars that had no paint, I admit, I'm a little overwhelmed.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I’ll start…

Water and a good quality car wash/shampoo are a good start. Personally, I prefer to wash with a nice boars bristle brush; they’re soft and there’s little chance of grinding abrasive bits into the paint. Beware of the danger of the dirt/abrasives that will fall to the bottom of your bucket. Some people recommend a two-bucket method, but I find that a screen at the bottom of the bucket works fine, allowing you to dip your brush or sponge or cleaning mitt, without scooping up the gunk at the bottom. Dry with a good microfiber cloth or ten. Occasionally finish up with a good ceramic finish to protect your paint.

You’ll find excellent products at Griot’s Garage and Chemical Guys, though the snobbier detailing types may not agree. Check out some of the videos on YouTube and you’ll be fine.

Finally, I’d invest in some mudflaps. I bought and installed a set from Rokblokz. Pricey, but high quality.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts