Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thanks for accepting me to this community.

I own my 4xE Rubicon since September and have been loving it. No issues for 4000 miles. :)

A week ago, a very loud and annoying clicking sound started that I first thought was something under the seat (a toy from my kids that got stuck in the crack of the back seat or whatever). But after I had my 9-year old listen back there for 30min trying to find it, we think it comes from inside the battery under the rear seat.

Took it to the dealer, they didn't hear it (of course). After I insisted its there they finally confirmed they hear it but couldn't figure it out. They installed software updates, claimed it was gone now (which it was for like 1 day). It just started today again.

I'm really annoyed by this. What happens if they can't find it? I can't live with it. Is there a way to exchange it or get a refund with a car that young? I love the 4xE (used to own a 2014 Sahara) but this is not the experience I was looking for when buying my first new car. Here is a link to the video I took this morning of the sound.

Thanks

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sounds like the HV contactors opening and closing constantly to me, but not sure, but if so, that is not normal. I would guess they might find a loose control wire in a connector or loose ground somewhere.
Take it back to the service shop and at least get a preliminary copy of the service order of what the issue is and what they specifically did to correct it. Get some sort of right-up every time you visit the service center for an issue and keep it for at least ten years.

Does it click when you are are not moving?
Are you able to drive in Electric Mode?
What loads are you seeing from the battery on the Hybrid Page?
Does it change or go away when you accelerate, brake, or hit a bump?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2021 4xe . And my clicking noise i feel its coming from the outside . low speed turning that's when i hear it mostly. it feels like driveshaft noise or maybe is the springs . i cant hear it inside the cabin tho ! but outside its kind of loud lol . taking to the dealership tomorrow to install 2" mopar lift hopefully that will go away

·
Registered
335 Posts
@adeesz
Is it safe for us to assume that the noise you hear coming from outside when driving slow and turning is definetly not the repeated chattering noise heard in OP's video where he is driving straight at speed? Just one or two "pops" when turning?

Have your service center inspect the torque on your lower ball joint castle nuts. Online reports have claimed that the tool used to torque the castle nuts at the factory was out of spec and many were shipped from the factory loose. Mine included. Service shop said they could wiggle them by hand.
I heard a popping noise every time I turned left or right at slow speeds especially when turning off a paved street to a paved inclined driveway.

Good luck on the lift. Hope it turns out well. Make sure you dont change out your tires though or you will have a very hard time getting a replacment battery coolant pump if yours ever fails.

·
Registered
2 Posts
They took it in today and apparently there is multiple recalls on this model and i didn't sound stupid when i told them about the clicking noise they knew what im talking about right away!

Thanks man i appreciate it can't wait ! But what do you mean by if i change the tires i cant find battery coolant pump ? i was gonna get wheels and tires next :(

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sorry. That was a bit of a rant on my experience. We had a battery coolant pump fail at 650 miles. We put 35" tires on it at 1,600 miles. A Jeep field rep authorized a replacement pump but sent the wrong one and it failed 2 days later. Because we had 35's put on our Rubicon, the field rep refused any further assistance and would not authorize another pump and wouldn't let our service shop order another one either. I was even told I would need to send in my Discount Tire receipt to prove that the tires were installed 1,000 miles after the pump failed.🤬
It took a week of arguing between my service shop and the field rep to get him to admit he screwed up and sent the wrong pump and that none of this had anything to do with tires. Of course when Stellantis installs 37" tires on their own 4xe Rubicon at SEMA this year it's cool and would never be considered an issue by anyone.

This and subsequent experiences, with this vehicle and Jeep/Stellantis, have made it very clear they are one of the shadiest company I have ever spent money with, are horrible at customer service and will do almost anything to find any excuse so they won't have to support or repair a brand new $65k vehicle under warranty that failed with only 650 miles on it.

Sorry again. Not sure what the moral of my rant is other than watch out and keep copies of all your records. I truly do want to see the 4xe succeed because I think a PHEV or BEV version of the Wrangler is likely the only way we will be able to continue to see them produced in the future. But man, when a company has obvious quality and production issues, going after the customer for their product failures is a terrible business strategy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update on my part: it’s been at the dealer for 4 weeks now. They still haven’t solved the issue but I guess Chrysler now authorized a complete replacement of the battery as it is confirmed it comes from inside there. I’m hopeful, since no one else has yet experienced this, that this is a one off issue and hopefully solved with new battery. Thanks for the responses everyone. I’ll keep you posted on whether a new battery does the trick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts