Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New user here, and just picked up my Rubicon 4xe in granite crystal! My other car is a Porsche Taycan and for charging that car I have had a 240V line installed. As it’s the same adapter, I tried charging the Jeep using the same plug. It seemd to charge fine, although when I unplugged it and turned on the ignition, the check engine light turned on.

Took the Jeep in, they found a code p1503 error in the integrated dual charge module and hybrid control. Whatever that means. They reset it, plugged it into their dealership charger, and no issues. They’ve assigned the bales to the use of my Porsche charger.…which is a bummer, and recommended using the 1L charger that came with the Jeep.

Now I see everyone on here having success with 3rd party 240V chargers and I can’t imagine why the Porsche unit would be any different.

Any ideas welcome! 12 hours for a charge of 30 electric miles is painful, and I’m wondering if my only option is a second 2L charger?

Any insights welcome!

J

·
Registered
186 Posts
Can you provide specifics for the L2 EVSE you are using for the Taycan? Is it hardwired have a plug? Amp rating? Does your Taycan use the standard J1772 connector?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. The Porsche mobile connect charger specs are as follows. Let me know if any other details would be helpful.

Porsche Mobile Charger Connect.
  • Charging speeds up to 9.6kW*
  • Full vehicle charge in 9.5-10.5 hours*
  • 240V (NEMA 14-50) Power Supply Cables.
  • I have it connected to a 240V line with 24A maximum output

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks for your response. The Porsche mobile connect charger specs are as follows. Let me know if any other details would be helpful.

Porsche Mobile Charger Connect.
  • Charging speeds up to 9.6kW*
  • Full vehicle charge in 9.5-10.5 hours*
  • 240V (NEMA 14-50) Power Supply Cables.
  • I have it connected to a 240V line with 24A maximum output
How did you configure the EVSE to know it was on a 30A circuit (drawing 24A)? I am not familiar with that particular EVSE so that is why I am asking. Sometimes there are dip switches in the body that need to be set, other times it is done via a mobile app.

A 9.6kW EVSE will be looking for 40 amps. Is that EVSE capable of being set to use smaller circuits?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Are you able to test on any other level 2 chargers? Most charging work is done by the vehicle. Chargers themselves are rather simple devices.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you able to test on any other level 2 chargers? Most charging work is done by the vehicle. Chargers themselves are rather simple devices.
It’s a good idea. I will try that and come back.
I have now charged with the 1L charger multiple times without issue and so I’ll keep slowly adding variables back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It’s a good idea. I will try that and come back.
I have now charged with the 1L charger multiple times without issue and so I’ll keep slowly adding variables back.
Quick update - I took it to a local ChargePoint spot and let it charge for 20 minutes as a test. Predicted that it would take 2.5 hours to fill. I took it off after 20 and no check engine light. I will repeat it one more time over the next couple of days.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quick update - I took it to a local ChargePoint spot and let it charge for 20 minutes as a test. Predicted that it would take 2.5 hours to fill. I took it off after 20 and no check engine light. I will repeat it one more time over the next couple of days.
Any later update? I am have the same vehicles and was contemplating trying the Taycan charger as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any later update? I am have the same vehicles and was contemplating trying the Taycan charger as well.
I haven’t tried the Taycan charger again. I have the Jeep 32V on order, as was recommend by Jeep Wave and will stick with that.

I will say customer support has been very active here to try and compensate me for the frustration.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts