Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 jeep 4xe sahara
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My week's been cold (-30 to -32 celsius), so I thought I would share how the 4xe performs in the cold.

At -10 to -15 degrees Celsius the 4xe can no longer drive in electric only mode because it's just to cold I guess, but the hybrid mode works fine and for the most part I'm finding that the electric power and gas engine work together approx 50/50.

So far it's been perfect driving in -32 degrees Celsius, just can't drive in electric only mode.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello Calgary4xe,

I also live in Calgary and agree - no issues driving in the cold, and electric only doesn't work between -10 to -15c.

I took the opportunity a few weekends ago to go down the transalta into the ghost river ... river bed right up to the frozen water falls. It was cold at the time but after driving all the way out there I did get the jeep to run in electric only mode (I suspect this is because I had a winter front on the jeep and the engine heat caused the external temperature sensor to read incorrectly... this may or may not have been the case but I think its some how related, i've managed to do the same thing by parking the 4xe in our heated shop where it could heat up and then drove outside into -30ish).

The jeep drove perfectly and driving in electric only over all of the snow was a fun experience.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Montreal here!

we are having mild winter so far….don’t hate me please, lol. My question, are you parking your Jeep outside or in a garage? I am parking in the driveway outside my house and got a message to plug the jeep for battery conditioning it was about -14. As per the user manual, it won't start at minus 30. Thanks for the feedback....Cheers!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am parking outside but plugged in.

it would be nice to know a little more about the plug in requirements and temperature relationship though…. So far with temps down to the low -30’s I haven’t had any issues driving around and the parking theJeep outside forhalf an hour while I run some errands….

it would be nice to know how long I can let it sit for unplugged befor it won’t start anymore…

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am parking outside but plugged in.

it would be nice to know a little more about the plug in requirements and temperature relationship though…. So far with temps down to the low -30’s I haven’t had any issues driving around and the parking theJeep outside forhalf an hour while I run some errands….

it would be nice to know how long I can let it sit for unplugged befor it won’t start anymore…
Me too. It has no block heater so I would like to know as well.

·
Registered
2021 jeep 4xe sahara
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Calgary4xe,

I also live in Calgary and agree - no issues driving in the cold, and electric only doesn't work between -10 to -15c.

I took the opportunity a few weekends ago to go down the transalta into the ghost river ... river bed right up to the frozen water falls. It was cold at the time but after driving all the way out there I did get the jeep to run in electric only mode (I suspect this is because I had a winter front on the jeep and the engine heat caused the external temperature sensor to read incorrectly... this may or may not have been the case but I think its some how related, i've managed to do the same thing by parking the 4xe in our heated shop where it could heat up and then drove outside into -30ish).

The jeep drove perfectly and driving in electric only over all of the snow was a fun experience.
I've been down the Trans Alta a few times during hunting season.

·
Registered
806 Posts
My week's been cold (-30 to -32 celsius), so I thought I would share how the 4xe performs in the cold.

At -10 to -15 degrees Celsius the 4xe can no longer drive in electric only mode because it's just to cold I guess, but the hybrid mode works fine and for the most part I'm finding that the electric power and gas engine work together approx 50/50.

So far it's been perfect driving in -32 degrees Celsius, just can't drive in electric only mode.
15* F by me today. I noticed the Jeep starts with the gas motor when I remote start to warm it up but it allows me to drive in all electric once I am ready to start driving. I'm guessing here but it seem like it needs to warm up the battery before allowing all electric driving.

·
Registered
17 Posts
“heart beat” sound today after driving for a bit in electric mode, 9 degrees (F) outside. Surprisingly kind of loud.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In Boston it was under 10 F today and for the first time it told me it could not convert to electric only and was in hybrid. It started no problem and somehow I got 25 miles on my overnight charge despite the freezing temps!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts