Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Wondering if anyone has any experience with how cold weather will impact the 25 miles of electric estimate. I live in the northeast and am curious as to what to expect next fall/winter. Most days I can get by on electric only and 25 miles but I’m not sure that will be true when it is 10*. …lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks. Vehicle will be garaged at night!
My 4xe is garaged at night. Garage indoor temp this morning was 59, outdoor temp was 41 when I left for work. I am noticing a small but significant reduction in electric range since the overnight temps have dropped below 50. I used to pretty consistently get 27 - 29 miles, now it's more like 25. I bet it will be a while before I'll get another 2000 mile, 2 month stretch without having to get gas like I did between late August and late October.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I can say, at least from this morning, a level 1 charger cannot keep up with with the climate control when it is cold out. Was 36 here and I remote started to warm the car. after 8-10 minutes I got in the car and the battery was at 94%. That was with the CC set to 70 degrees and the heated seat (driver side) and heated steering wheel kicking on.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Having owned 80+ vehicles of which 20+ were BEV/PHEV -- I can tell you that a 35% range loss in sub zero temps will occur. You can circumvent this by having the car garaged as you noted, such that if your garage is 50F or better then the heat/energy to heat the cabin will be less when you leave the house, and maybe only 20% loss. But if you park outside (eg: at work) and its below freezing, you will see 20-35% range loss depending on how far below freezing.

For example my BMW i8 would get 16 miles of range in the summer, and 10-12 in the winter. My Tesla (12 of them) would see a similar range loss. But again it would fare better when pre-heated before departure, and better when the car had sat overnight in the 50F garage versus after leaving work in 15F ambient. G'luck!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 4xe is garaged at night. Garage indoor temp this morning was 59, outdoor temp was 41 when I left for work. I am noticing a small but significant reduction in electric range since the overnight temps have dropped below 50. I used to pretty consistently get 27 - 29 miles, now it's more like 25. I bet it will be a while before I'll get another 2000 mile, 2 month stretch without having to get gas like I did between late August and late October.
I haven’t noticed any impact yet but the temps outside haven’t been below 45*. A few more weeks and I won’t be able to say that so we will see.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Rubicon, Bright White
26 Posts
In the Nissan Leaf Handbook they suggest that you to remote start the Vehicle while still connected to the Charger to warm it up in Winter. I do that with my 4xe as well and I think it saves 15% of Battery when you do that vs Heating it up on Battery alone.

With that being said, I suggest that you plug in your 4xe in over night regardless of needed or not. I had my Leaf on a really cold PA Night out in the snow - not plugged in - and the Battery Heater drained 80% of the Battery over night... Lesson learned.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have been experiencing morning temperatures on my way to work ranging from 15 - 26 degrees (-9 to -3 c).

I park outside and plug into a level 2 charger.

I am seeing a significant drop in range. I’ve noticed that cranking the heat and fan speed consumes a lot of energy.

When it’s on the colder side, turning the fan speed up will cause the engine to come on, if I turn the fan speed down the engine will turn off.

Remote start at colder temps will also start the engine as it heats the cabin and the battery will also drain a few %.

I also noticed the FORM comes on more frequently but a good drive bringing the oil temp up above 205f will reset it and so far that seems to hold it off for a bit.

The problem is getting the oil temp up. You may struggle to do this in very cold temperatures.

On Monday I installed the Mopar winter front - this has allowed me to get the engine temp up to running speed. It’s too soon yet to really conclude if that has increased my electric range.

The heater and fan energy consumption does not appear to display on the hybrid pages under climate, but if you look at the other power consumption metric you can see that turning the fan (with a high heat temperature set) will increase energy use, I got it up to 5kw while at a standstill in park.

I typically remote start twice in the morning before heading to work with enough time for the battery to mostly recharge before I start driving. This seems to get the battery and cabin up to a reasonable temperature and battery charge state - this method does get some of my electric range back.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Here is the part number for the winter front I got.

Most places I Iooked at online display the bug protector for this part number, however, I found one store that had the installation manual online and it showed what the winter front looks like so I took a gamble and got it.

The picture below shows what it looks like.. the install was easy except my winch made it a bit difficult to get the middle clips installed, thus the wrinkle.

This winter front has no permanent install requirements, it just clips onto the front grill.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,

Wondering if anyone has any experience with how cold weather will impact the 25 miles of electric estimate. I live in the northeast and am curious as to what to expect next fall/winter. Most days I can get by on electric only and 25 miles but I’m not sure that will be true when it is 10*. …lol
It's been under 30 degrees here in MN and we haven't had any issues with the jeep until now. Electric range will definitely decrease at colder temperatures. Maybe by half. Since this cold weather, the jeep has been refreshing the gas/oil daily and sometimes more. The electric will not go on so I am only using gas. Electric mode will not work. In Hybrid mode, its always using gas but at the same time the battery charge is dropping as well. Hopefully there is a fix otherwise I have a useless electric vehicle. On another note this week I have been using remote start and it is awesome!

·
Registered
45 Posts
yes, but once or twice a day since Monday. The only change has been the colder weather and using the remote start this week. Before the cold weather it rarely refreshed so I need to take it in to the dealer. not fun.
Just curious how you’re getting out of refresh mode.

You may have done this already and your problem might be something else but if not maybe the following can save you some time.

I was getting the FORM more frequently when it got cold until I followed the advice of others on this forum to run the engine and get the oil temp up to 205-208 for 20 minutes or more - basically until the refresh mode went away on its own.

After doing this I have not had the refresh mode come on again and it’s been about 3 weeks now.

It’s ironic but getting the oil temp up to 205-208 and sustaining it at that temp long enough to satisfy the refresh mode requirements takes a bit of work when it’s cold outside - driving at highway speeds didn’t do it for me because the increased cold airflow through the engine bay cooled the engine down enough to the point that I couldn’t get the oil temp to reach 205.

So, I put I went for a drive down a trail and put in low with manual gear select and just putted along at high rpm’s, low gear.

This got the oil temp up and I’ve been fine since.

I now have a winter front as well to hopefully help get the temp up next time.

Note - I did try sitting in idle with the engine running but I was also unable to get the oil temp high enough by doing this.

·
Registered
53 Posts
One question I can't seem to find an answer to is whether there's any benefit to warming up my battery before driving when I'm NOT plugged in. At home, my garage stays relatively warm and I can run the car while plugged into my level 2 charger if I have to to warm up the battery. But when I'm not at home and cannot otherwise plug in, should I start the car and let it warm up the battery using the battery before driving or should I just drive and let it warm up while I'm driving?

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
705 Posts
It's been under 30 degrees here in MN and we haven't had any issues with the jeep until now. Electric range will definitely decrease at colder temperatures. Maybe by half. Since this cold weather, the jeep has been refreshing the gas/oil daily and sometimes more. The electric will not go on so I am only using gas. Electric mode will not work. In Hybrid mode, its always using gas but at the same time the battery charge is dropping as well. Hopefully there is a fix otherwise I have a useless electric vehicle. On another note this week I have been using remote start and it is awesome!
You need to get the oil temp up to about 210 for 20 minutes as was stated. Nothing is wrong with your Jeep. You’re just not fulfilling the FORM requirements as it relates to oil refresh.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You need to get the oil temp up to about 210 for 20 minutes as was stated. Nothing is wrong with your Jeep. You’re just not fulfilling the FORM requirements as it relates to oil refresh.
You are probably correct, but even after driving on the freeway for 30 minutes(2x in one day) that was not enough. Taking it on a 200 mile trip so hopefully that will fix it. What happens when it's 10 below?? Thanks for your response1

1 - 20 of 22 Posts