Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
61 - 80 of 107 Posts

Registered
Do any of those dictionaries suggest that MPG is simply miles per gallon and has nothing to do with propulsion by battery? 馃榿
Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Registered
This past weekend we finally had a dusting of snow in the greater Chicagoland area, over 6 inches by me and huge drifts with tornado-like winds for good measure. I forgot to park my 4xe Rubi in its garage spot when we went away due to jockeying several vehicles around in a rush, and came home a crispy 16F day.

Got into the ice-cold-soaked 4xe (parked it with 99% battery...still at 99%) and it started and ran fine in pure electric mode for 19 miles with HVAC set at 70F, butt toaster and heated steering wheel on. Not bad at all. I got home with 5% battery remaining and the engine never came on nor did it need to. Just a data point for those assessing.

I spoke to a friend in WI and was curious how his neighbor's new Bronco did in the snow. He said he got to drive it and felt just "meh" and used "...hella more gas than the Grand Cherokee!" but otherwise did fine in the white stuff.

That sounds better than what at least one Bronco soft-top owner reported (ugh):

How are the non-hard top 4xe owners faring in the snow when in high wind conditions? Hopefully not as bad as that poor Bronco owner.

Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
This past weekend we finally had a dusting of snow in the greater Chicagoland area, over 6 inches by me and huge drifts with tornado-like winds for good measure. I forgot to park my 4xe Rubi in its garage spot when we went away due to jockeying several vehicles around in a rush, and came home a crispy 16F day.

Got into the ice-cold-soaked 4xe (parked it with 99% battery...still at 99%) and it started and ran fine in pure electric mode for 19 miles with HVAC set at 70F, butt toaster and heated steering wheel on. Not bad at all. I got home with 5% battery remaining and the engine never came on nor did it need to. Just a data point for those assessing.

I spoke to a friend in WI and was curious how his neighbor's new Bronco did in the snow. He said he got to drive it and felt just "meh" and used "...hella more gas than the Grand Cherokee!" but otherwise did fine in the white stuff.

That sounds better than what at least one Bronco soft-top owner reported (ugh):

How are the non-hard top 4xe owners faring in the snow when in high wind conditions? Hopefully not as bad as that poor Bronco owner.
Ha鈥uch!

Registered
That looks like what happened to Lite Brite when driving there new Bronco through Kansas last month when they drove it home from the dealership. Same entry spot.

Registered
@Bmeister
Thanks for the battery status report. How many days did it sit unplugged? Nice to see no notable battery loss as well as that decent driving range on just the battery at 16F. 馃憤

Registered

This is awesome. And I wonder how this data point is handled by those who have said the 4xe is not designed to operate in electric mode at colder temps. Outlier? Lucky, quality build?

Registered
This is awesome. And I wonder how this data point is handled by those who have said the 4xe is not designed to operate in electric mode at colder temps. Outlier? Lucky, quality build?
A lot of the people getting stuck in no-electric mode are in significantly colder weather than 16F

Registered
I'll add a few data points. My commute is 26.4 miles round trip, and I can count on one hand the number of times I haven't made it to work and back on a single charge (5 days a week since mid-July). Car is garaged at home with Level 2 charger, on street parking at work, no ability to charge.

Two days ago, morning temps were in the mid teens and afternoon temps in the 20s (Fahrenheit), and my range was limited to where I had to use the ICE for 0.8 miles on my commute home - so call that an electric range of around. 25.5 miles.

Yesterday, temps were in the 30s and 40s, and I made it home with the cluster indicating between 2 and 3 miles left, so call that an electric range of around 29.

As to how others should handle my data points? I don't think I'm an outlier or overly lucky. The key is to drive like my 94-year-old grandmother. I do not use max regen, but I try to drive the speed limit (or below), stay away from highways if time permits, coast whenever possible, and use brakes as little as possible. I also try to use the heat as little as possible. I keep a hat and gloves in my car, and I always try the heated seats and heated steering wheel before I actually put the heat on.

Registered
@Bmeister
Thanks for the battery status report. How many days did it sit unplugged? Nice to see no notable battery loss as well as that decent driving range on just the battery at 16F. 馃憤
It sat almost three full days unplugged outside. Granted, when I drove it after getting home it was just puttering around town (25-35mph, no long, high elevation changes) to Costco, liquor store, etc. with the honey-do list in hand.

Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Drove about 30 miles today. Temp about 7f. Ran mostly on ICE while in hybrid mode. Used about 10 miles of electric battery. I鈥檓 fine with it. But I don鈥檛 drive it every day either. Anyway, I really don鈥檛 care, I just care that I鈥檓 comfortable and warm.馃

Registered
Cold weather conditions have been terrible for me. I am in Canada where cold winters are typical. In kilometres my jeep deteriorated from 40km on a full charge to as low as 30. I am talking about the green readout on your dash after you charge. Worse, the actual driving distance is no where near 39 km in cold weather. It is more like a horrific 20-22kms. When the temperatures get cold the car cannot even access Hybrid mode. Electric is out of the question. When I brought the jeep to the dealer they told me the deteriorated performance was because I had bigger tires on the car - 35s. What a scam! If anyone has any ideas how I can address this I鈥檇 sure appreciate it.
I have been In FORM for three months now. There is no possible way living in North Dakota in the winter to get it out of this. I haven't had electric available since Mid November. My gas millage is way worse then my 2019 Wrangle JL. Averaging about 12.5 combined EMPG. Kind feel the sales people should of warned us living in cold climates its a southern only hybrid. Expect to pay a premium for gas in the cold.

Registered
I have been In FORM for three months now. There is no possible way living in North Dakota in the winter to get it out of this. I haven't had electric available since Mid November. My gas millage is way worse then my 2019 Wrangle JL. Averaging about 12.5 combined EMPG. Kind feel the sales people should of warned us living in cold climates its a southern only hybrid. Expect to pay a premium for gas in the cold.
I Can鈥檛 compete with ND winter temps here in Boston, but I think my Jeep must be an outlier - in a good way. It was 25 degrees here all day today. Car was parked on the street at work. ICE did not start when I started the car. Made it about 12 miles all electric on 48 percent battery remaining before the battery wasn鈥檛 to 0 percent and the ICE kicked on. I did not use the HVAC, only the heated seat.

Registered
Data Point Update:
With global warming (/s) pushing temps in the Chicago area down to around 0F, my 4xe Rubi will give me the electric mode currently unavailable message. For me, the zone is somewhere under 16F where it will not run in electric-only. That's fine, because with the engine running all the time it's like having a "sport" mode with instant power. This begs the question: can we have this (engine running all the time) as a choice for those performance-oriented needs?:cool:

Registered
I'm in Michigan and I have found that if it is below 10F, then the ICE will kick in and the Jeep will only run in Hybrid or E save mode. I have read in other posts, that the 10F number is the key to this...... Luckily, I don't anticipate too many days of temps below 10F.... I have 4700 miles on the Odometer and only 600 of those have been with ICE. I use it for my daily driver and have a 19 mile commute to work, where I have access to free charging- pretty great set up for me. I have found that using the heater will cut into my range by about 30% so I dress warm and only use the heated seats/steering wheel- they impact the KW usage much less than the heater.

On those days when it has been below 10F, the jeep will start off in EV mode out of the garage, but as soon as the jeep's thermostat on the radio drops below 10F, I get the "electric mode unavailable" message and the ICE kicks in..... Once the outside temp gets above 10F, I will push the electric mode button and it will go back into EV mode. There have also been a couple of times where I will get a message saying the EV mode isn't available due to more power need for heating of the vehicle- then I turn off the heater and go back to EV mode. Lastly, Sometimes it will automatically start in ICE mode when it has been sitting outside at work, but as soon as I shift into drive, I can get it back into EV mode by pressing the button again.

In the grand scheme of things, I am really happy with this jeep and I suspect many folks are confusing a FORM situation with what occurs when the temps are below 10F. I have had my jeep since the beginning of October and have only put gas in it three times, each time the tank was at least 1/4 full or greater and have never had the ICE kick on due to needing a fuel/oil refresh.

Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
I'm in Michigan and I have found that if it is below 10F, then the ICE will kick in and the Jeep will only run in Hybrid or E save mode. I have read in other posts, that the 10F number is the key to this...... Luckily, I don't anticipate too many days of temps below 10F.... I have 4700 miles on the Odometer and only 600 of those have been with ICE. I use it for my daily driver and have a 19 mile commute to work, where I have access to free charging- pretty great set up for me. I have found that using the heater will cut into my range by about 30% so I dress warm and only use the heated seats/steering wheel- they impact the KW usage much less than the heater.

On those days when it has been below 10F, the jeep will start off in EV mode out of the garage, but as soon as the jeep's thermostat on the radio drops below 10F, I get the "electric mode unavailable" message and the ICE kicks in..... Once the outside temp gets above 10F, I will push the electric mode button and it will go back into EV mode. There have also been a couple of times where I will get a message saying the EV mode isn't available due to more power need for heating of the vehicle- then I turn off the heater and go back to EV mode. Lastly, Sometimes it will automatically start in ICE mode when it has been sitting outside at work, but as soon as I shift into drive, I can get it back into EV mode by pressing the button again.

In the grand scheme of things, I am really happy with this jeep and I suspect many folks are confusing a FORM situation with what occurs when the temps are below 10F. I have had my jeep since the beginning of October and have only put gas in it three times, each time the tank was at least 1/4 full or greater and have never had the ICE kick on due to needing a fuel/oil refresh.
They are confusing it with FORM鈥

Registered
A lot of the people getting stuck in no-electric mode are in significantly colder weather than 16F
I got stuck at 0C (32F).

With global warming (/s)
That's why it's called "climate change". If you heat up one spot it can change weather patterns, resulting in cold in another, more frequent hurricanes, or literally just about anything. We still know, for a fact, that the average global temperature is rising each year and we know fossil fuels have caused it.

Or you can ignore and mock the vast majority of experts and our kids can all roast. Like, when i go to the doctor and they say "you got cancer", I'm like "nah, that's fake news bruh" and go take some Advil. Because subject matter experts who study stuff their entire lives don't have a clue and Facebook memes are the best source of news out there. It's not like the entire planet is at stake if you're wrong.

can we have this (engine running all the time)
My only hope in response to such a comment is your "skepticism" of experts extends to vaccination as well.

Registered
All I want is Jeep to say what it takes according to them to clear the FORM! A simple explanation would go a long way. Why does it need to be a secret? Other than they are scared of not selling these in colder climates.

Registered
All I want is Jeep to say what it takes according to them to clear the FORM! A simple explanation would go a long way. Why does it need to be a secret? Other than they are scared of not selling these in colder climates.
It's in the manual. Drive it for 20 mins once it's warmed up, fill it up and/or change the oil. If that's not working for you, the manual is wrong and you might consider pointing that out to the dealership. FWIW I couldn't get out of it in the cold but once it warmed up and the oil was changed it's now out of FORM. How long it stays that way depends. One Canadian reported it turning back on at 97% oil life.

61 - 80 of 107 Posts