Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
The whole "a jeep is less aerodynamic than a cow" thing is such a nonsensical statement.

It's like saying "a Porsche is more mathematics than a chicken"
The statement implies that neither the Jeep nor Cow is aerodynamic, it made sense to me and was relevant to the discussion about why on highway trips the car is less efficient.

However, I would be interested in the math behind the same topic of efficiency if that conversation is available.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
The statement implies that neither the Jeep nor Cow is aerodynamic
More so, it assumes that "aerodynamic" is a quantitative measurement.

I think what people are trying to say is that a jeep has a higher coefficient of drag than a cow... which actually isn't true for the JLU vs an average cow.

·
Registered
312 Posts
However, I would be interested in the math behind the same topic of efficiency if that conversation is available.
I think it was pretty well laid out in this thread

Gasoline is more efficient at highway speeds because well, being in a higher gear = less injector pulses per mile. If it only takes say 40hp to go 55mph in top gear, you’re going to waste a lot less fuel than the 5hp required to go 20mph in 2nd or 3rd gear because there’s a minimum amount of fuel you can waste and keep the engine running with it’s accessories. It’s more efficient to get from A to B faster than it is to go slower. The ideal speed depends on the coefficient of drag, engine design, and gearing. Once you go faster the drag starts to outweigh the efficiency of less revolutions per mile. Believe it or not my 6.2L pickup can cruise at 55-60mph and get 26mpg. But I get a ridiculous 10mpg city because physics wins….I need lots of fuel to accelerate 5500lbs and then all that kenetic energy is converted into heat and dissipated by the brake rotors every 1/4 mile.

An EV minimum energy consumption is much lower. It also has regenerative braking to absorb some of that kinetic energy. Almost all their energy consumed is pretty much from rolling resistance and wind resistance. That’s why tesla is absolutely obsessed with efficiency. This is why EV’s suck at towing. I mean you get 330 miles of range with your tesla that only needs 10-15hp to maintain 55mph, and then you tow a trailer that needs 25hp to maintain 55mph, there goes your range.

But what would EV’s be great at, towing at low speeds in city driving. In a gas tow vehicle, accelerating just uses more gas and then dissipates more heat through the brakes. In an EV, you still use more energy to accelerate, but now you also have more kinetic energy for regenerative braking. Which means, EV’s, compared to gas, cares less about weight and more about constant resistance while maintaining speed.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts