Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Jeep Cares: I really hope Jeep actually cares. I am frustrated that I just spent a lot of money on my brand new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4xe Rubicon. It started after 500 miles that my check engine light came on. I have been in two different dealerships now while diagnostics have determined I have a coolant valve fault. And after reading the Jeep forum it sounds like a regular occurrence with the 4xe. My question to Chrysler/Jeep if this is as consistent as it appears why is there not an official recall and why is Chrysler engineering not working on a solution?Neither of the dealerships I have visited nor the one where I purchased the vehicle seem to be aware of this very consistent issue. I am pissed and can not be without a vehicle. Why is nothing being done for your customers? Why no consistent communication from Chrysler engineering to the Jeep dealers about this known issue? Is it safe to operate this vehicle? Again, some nationally consistent communication would be helpful. It appears that we are not all on the same page.

·
Registered
2022 Rubicon 4xe
1,224 Posts
When you state something as an absolute; that your issue is a regular occurrence or no Jeep engineers working on something, for instances, please post links documenting it. And recalls are generally for safety related issues, not inconveniences, so it would be unlikely that Jeep releases a recall for a coolant valve. Jeep does have RRTs and TSBs to address things that aren't up to deserving recall status. If you post more about your specific issue we can look through and see if there is a document about it. But I've never heard of anything about a coolant valve yet. And definitely not a prominent issue. As far as is it safe: the Jeep has cooling systems for the engine and battery, do you know which is affected?

Dear Jeep Cares: I really hope Jeep actually cares. I am frustrated that I just spent a lot of money on my brand new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4xe Rubicon. It started after 500 miles that my check engine light came on. I have been in two different dealerships now while diagnostics have determined I have a coolant valve fault. And after reading the Jeep forum it sounds like a regular occurrence with the 4xe. My question to Chrysler/Jeep if this is as consistent as it appears why is there not an official recall and why is Chrysler engineering not working on a solution?Neither of the dealerships I have visited nor the one where I purchased the vehicle seem to be aware of this very consistent issue. I am pissed and can not be without a vehicle. Why is nothing being done for your customers? Why no consistent communication from Chrysler engineering to the Jeep dealers about this known issue? Is it safe to operate this vehicle? Again, some nationally consistent communication would be helpful. It appears that we are not all on the same page.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My observation on this forum and others including conversations with Jeep dealerships of the same or very similar issue with a persistent CEL and what comes down to a fault with a coolant bypass valve that controls heating and cooling for the battery pack for these new 4xe’s. It is apparent there are enough documented cases of this to warrant at the very least some consistent communication from Chrysler. Each dealer has told me something slightly different including, whether or not the vehicle is safe to drive.
I was told by a one of the dealerships that the part needed, coolant bypass valve, is galactic-ally back ordered.
Meanwhile he has 2 4xe’s with the same issue sitting on his lot for more than a month now. To me, that sounds like an absolute.
Here are the notes from the tech that did the diagnoses.
“Tech ran electrical tests and had code P0E80-00 for coolant bypass valve stuck closed. Performed duty cycle test on circuit H261 and has no duty cycle. Checked circuit at connector XY230A #30 PIN to bypass valve #261 and checked ok. Tech stated possible PIM module failure.”

·
Registered
2022 Rubicon 4xe
1,224 Posts
Is this the same as the coolant pump issue?

My observation on this forum and others including conversations with Jeep dealerships of the same or very similar issue with a persistent CEL and what comes down to a fault with a coolant bypass valve that controls heating and cooling for the battery pack for these new 4xe’s. It is apparent there are enough documented cases of this to warrant at the very least some consistent communication from Chrysler. Each dealer has told me something slightly different including, whether or not the vehicle is safe to drive.
I was told by a one of the dealerships that the part needed, coolant bypass valve, is galactic-ally back ordered.
Meanwhile he has 2 4xe’s with the same issue sitting on his lot for more than a month now. To me, that sounds like an absolute.
Here are the notes from the tech that did the diagnoses.
“Tech ran electrical tests and had code P0E80-00 for coolant bypass valve stuck closed. Performed duty cycle test on circuit H261 and has no duty cycle. Checked circuit at connector XY230A #30 PIN to bypass valve #261 and checked ok. Tech stated possible PIM module failure.”

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
And after reading the Jeep forum it sounds like a regular occurrence with the 4xe. My question to Chrysler/Jeep if this is as consistent as it appears why is there not an official recall and why is Chrysler engineering not working on a solution?
I'd be careful to consider a few reported incidents in a self-selecting group as a "regular occurrence". Forums are not a good representational sample of what's going on. If anything, the vast majority of coolant related issues that have popped up seem to be the battery heater rather than a pump, and even those are not a regular occurrence.

Also, there are very specific criteria for what qualifies as a recall. This doesn't sound like the sort of thing that would ever qualify.

I also wouldn't come to the conclusion that Jeep engineering isn't working on a solution, if there's even been a consistent problem identified.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd be careful to consider a few reported incidents in a self-selecting group as a "regular occurrence". Forums are not a good representational sample of what's going on. If anything, the vast majority of coolant related issues that have popped up seem to be the battery heater rather than a pump, and even those are not a regular occurrence.

Also, there are very specific criteria for what qualifies as a recall. This doesn't sound like the sort of thing that would ever qualify.

I also wouldn't come to the conclusion that Jeep engineering isn't working on a solution, if there's even been a consistent problem identified.
I'm currently having the same issue with my newly purchased 4xe picked up last month. The dealer replaced the valve and the code is still coming up in their computer systems. I'm waiting to hear back from engineering to see what they say, but was wondering if yours was fixed?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
U
I'm currently having the same issue with my newly purchased 4xe picked up last month. The dealer replaced the valve and the code is still coming up in their computer systems. I'm waiting to hear back from engineering to see what they say, but was wondering if yours was fixed?
Unfortunately, it is not fixed. It has been in the shop 3 times in the 1st month of ownership. Was waiting on a part, coolant bypass valve, which was installed the CEL was cleared. 4 days later, the light came back on. Now I have an appointment to be back in the shop. There seems to be zero communication a National basis regarding this CEL and bypass valve issue. I wish the communication was better to get this resolved. Based on the research I’ve done it appears to be a common issue with this vehicle. Very disappointing given my vehicle has 1000 miles on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
U

Unfortunately, it is not fixed. It has been in the shop 3 times in the 1st month of ownership. Was waiting on a part, coolant bypass valve, which was installed the CEL was cleared. 4 days later, the light came back on. Now I have an appointment to be back in the shop. There seems to be zero communication a National basis regarding this CEL and bypass valve issue. I wish the communication was better to get this resolved. Based on the research I’ve done it appears to be a common issue with this vehicle. Very disappointing given my vehicle has 1000 miles on it.
It sounds like we're in the same boat here. Mine has only 887 miles on it and at shop now. They replaced the coolant bypass valve this week, but the CEL code came back after fix. They're waiting to hear back from the engineer on what's next, so I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It sounds like we're in the same boat here. Mine has only 887 miles on it and at shop now. They replaced the coolant bypass valve this week, but the CEL code came back after fix. They're waiting to hear back from the engineer on what's next, so I'll keep you posted.
Thank you. I really appreciate any updates. I will keep you posted if I learn anything new.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok, I got my Jeep back yesterday from the dealer after replacing they replaced the coolant valve and Gen 2 Power Inverter per the Jeep Engineer recommendation. I've put around 150 miles on it since picking up and no check engine light yet. The Tech had mentioned that with these 4xes it sometimes take a few cycles to confirm that the CEL won't come back on, so we'll see how the next few weeks go. I'll keep you posted, but hopefully this fixes the CEL issue, with code P0E80. I may have a new issue now, but we'll see. When I pulled it into driveway and put in park, it was making a noise as it went in park. It kind of sounded like a tin can. The Strang thing is on the way home I heard a few times a noise like I ran over a tin can. I hope replacing these parts didn't cause another issue. Hopefully I'm just over thinking this. We'll see.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you so much for the feedback. Fingers crossed that the CEL/coolant bypass issue is resolved. I am sorry to hear that another issue has come up. Hopefully, that one will be short lived. I will keep you posted on any progress on my end. Please let me know if anything comes up. Thanks again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, I got my Jeep back yesterday from the dealer after replacing they replaced the coolant valve and Gen 2 Power Inverter per the Jeep Engineer recommendation. I've put around 150 miles on it since picking up and no check engine light yet. The Tech had mentioned that with these 4xes it sometimes take a few cycles to confirm that the CEL won't come back on, so we'll see how the next few weeks go. I'll keep you posted, but hopefully this fixes the CEL issue, with code P0E80. I may have a new issue now, but we'll see. When I pulled it into driveway and put in park, it was making a noise as it went in park. It kind of sounded like a tin can. The Strang thing is on the way home I heard a few times a noise like I ran over a tin can. I hope replacing these parts didn't cause another issue. Hopefully I'm just over thinking this. We'll see.
Thank you so much for the feedback. Fingers crossed that the CEL/coolant bypass issue is resolved. I am sorry to hear that another issue has come up. Hopefully, that one will be short lived. I will keep you posted on any progress on my end. Please let me know if anything comes up. Thanks again!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Back to the dealership my Jeep must go. The CEL came back on roughly 200 miles after picking up from dealers last week after they replaced the battery pump and Gen 2 Power Inverter. I'll let everyone know what happens next, but getting tired of driving it back to the dealership every other week. I love my 4xe, but staring to wonder if it's worth my time driving back and forth, as most of the 1,200 miles put on the 4xe are driving back and forth from dealer.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1,264 Posts
Back to the dealership my Jeep must go. The CEL came back on roughly 200 miles after picking up from dealers last week after they replaced the battery pump and Gen 2 Power Inverter. I'll let everyone know what happens next, but getting tired of driving it back to the dealership every other week. I love my 4xe, but staring to wonder if it's worth my time driving back and forth, as most of the 1,200 miles put on the 4xe are driving back and forth from dealer.
This really sucks. Hopefully they get it right this time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Update... I received Jeep back today after a week in shop and them driving it 200+ miles to make sure CEL wouldn't come back on. They figured out the original 3 way coolant valve replaced for the batteries, that the hoses were backwards. The funny part is the original way is how it came from the factory and how the Jeep diagram had it installed. They confirmed with another new unit on the lot that it had the hoses incorrectly installed from factory as well. Let's just hope this is the fix and I'm not going back again. Have you had any luck getting your fixed?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was wondering if you had any updates on your Jeep. Still seem ok?

I leased my 4xe back in March. A month later (1600 miles) CEL for the bypass control valve. Fixed after 2 weeks at the shop and ran great until 2 days ago. CEL at 6800 miles, brought it in for that and service, and yup bypass control valve again. Kind of annoying really.

And not sure if anyone has similar symptoms, but my heat during electric mode is just awful. It comes out barely warm and it's going to suck during the winter in upstate NY.

Update... I received Jeep back today after a week in shop and them driving it 200+ miles to make sure CEL wouldn't come back on. They figured out the original 3 way coolant valve replaced for the batteries, that the house were backwards. The funny part is the original way is how it came from the factory and how the Jeep diagram had it installed. They confirmed with another new unit on the lot that it had the hoses incorrectly installed from factory as well. Let's just hope this is the fix and I'm not going back again. Have you had any luck getting your fixed?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts