Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - so picked up a 4xe last Wed and drove it 289 miles. The check engine light came on which prompted a trip to service. After they had it for the day I was told that the pump that cools the batteries (that are under the seat my kids sit on) was broke. Even worse... estimate on the news part arrival is the end of next month. The dealership is going above and beyond but is this platform really ready for public consumption? Is it safe? I have 286 miles worth of experience - all very fun, but concerned about my purchase. Happen to anyone else?

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
524 Posts
Just so everyone doesn’t freak out. This happens all over the country every day with every car manufacturer and every model of car/truck/ suv/hybrid/electric vehicle. Does it suck? Hell yes! Do I want it to happen to me? Hell no! Seriously though…let’s not overreact. We all know there will be problems. The more technology, the more chance for problems.
Sincerely hope you get this problem fixed ASAP!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sincerely disagree with you about over reacting. We are talking about a major component fail of the battery system within a day of it being taken off the lot. And... btw... they don’t make the part yet so your “hell no not you” comment leaves me to say - DONT BUY ONE! My other ask is that the regulators look into this so nobody gets hurt - As in HELL NO - NOT MY KIDS sitting the back seat of a Jeep that didn’t do enough QA testing... maybe they need another 1m miles to make sure they can rep and warrant these properly! So happens every day??? No - it doesn’t. They are called unfortunate mishaps by the manufacturer until they recall the part or program.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ok - so picked up a 4xe last Wed and drove it 289 miles. The check engine light came on which prompted a trip to service. After they had it for the day I was told that the pump that cools the batteries (that are under the seat my kids sit on) was broke. Even worse... estimate on the news part arrival is the end of next month. The dealership is going above and beyond but is this platform really ready for public consumption? Is it safe? I have 286 miles worth of experience - all very fun, but concerned about my purchase. Happen to anyone else?
So is the Jeep still driveable in gas mode only? Do you have it now or are you leaving it with the dealer for the whole month?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apparently not safe to drive - sitting at the dealership. Not about nice or mean. A company developed this - there was R&D done. I took a financial and safety risk based on what they marketed (btw changing if you are keeping up). Since i am the “hell no it’s me guy” I want to know what’s what - and deserve that because I bought something that was represented a certain way. Again - we are talking about something that didn’t make past 300 miles and cost a lot of $$.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Btw... dealership has been good about it. Not complaining about any service or people here... just want to know what I am in for and whether or not to jump off this ship.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Btw... dealership has been good about it. Not complaining about any service or people here... just want to know what I am in for and whether or not to jump off this ship.
I would still give it a chance. I've owned many vehicles before and Jeep was never on my radar until I bought my 2019 JLU Sahara. Within a couple of weeks of ownership, the aux. battery took a dump on me and left me stranded for 6 hours in a parking lot because Jeep roadside assistance kept sending the wrong tow truck. I finally had to just call my own tow truck and get FCA to reimburse me for it.

I was so angry and instantly regretted buying a Jeep. Having said that, the dealership did take care of it under warranty and I had 2 years of trouble free ownership before trading it in for the 4xe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My first truck when I was 16 was a Dodge (keeping it in the family) 1500 with a 360. It was around 1998. That engine had been around for quite awhile at that point b/c my uncle had basically the same truck but 2-3 years older. It didn't even have 289 miles on it when I started it up after school and a good portion of the engine oil came out the exhaust in a big white cloud. Turned out to be an issue with the intake gasket. I wasn't happy. My dad had bought one that was the same model, engine,trans etc... So I talked him into swapping with me. Within a year the trans went out twice. I ended up trading it in on a powerstroke later on but it was always something. My dad drove "my truck" to over 250K without another problem. You never know what your getting in anything. Point is I should have kept the truck that I thought was a lemon because I ended up trading it for a lemon. Sucks either way but I wouldn't give up on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure if Jeep is listening, I have the check engine light for the battery coolant pump. Had it reaet once came back.

What I am seeing is the pump starts up when the coolant is above 165F. And if it does not reaxh 145 within a minute or so it throws a MIL. The problem is when the jeep heat soaks the coolant gets pretty hot and that is normal. They need a debounce after key on and steady state operation. Those without errors are probably letting the jeep cool down before charge or new key on event with engine running. Please Jeep just update the software. I will do it for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure if Jeep is listening, I have the check engine light for the battery coolant pump. Had it reaet once came back.

What I am seeing is the pump starts up when the coolant is above 165F. And if it does not reaxh 145 within a minute or so it throws a MIL. The problem is when the jeep heat soaks the coolant gets pretty hot and that is normal. They need a debounce after key on and steady state operation. Those without errors are probably letting the jeep cool down before charge or new key on event with engine running. Please Jeep just update the software. I will do it for you.
What type of coolant are they using? Hoat is better as it does not conduct as much electricity tripping up the computer. Could run better with a different type of coolant.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Looking for any updates for those with the coolant pump causing the MIL to come on with code P0C74. Mine is a Rubicon.
So far I have read/heard about bad grounds, bad harness, leaking hoses, leaking pump, bad pump, potentially bad software. Does anyone know if P0C74 is triggered base on the RPMs of the pump or overall targeted temperature drop over a certain time frame?

My situation:
04/16/21 - Purchased 2021 Wrangler 4xe Rubicon
04/29/21 - 650 miles. Vehicle driven over 2 hours continuously followed by a few short duration stops afterwards. MIL comes on in parking lot a few moments after starting vehicle. Vehicle driven 120 miles home with MIL on.
05/03/21 - 797 miles. MIL on. Took in for service. Code P0C74 - Battery coolant pump. Code cleared, sent on way.
05/14/21 - 925 miles. MIL on. Took in for service. Code P0C74. Service center and STAR scanned and determined faulty pump. New pump shipping direct from manufacturer.
06/28/21 - Coolant pump replaced
06/30/21 - MIL back on. Code P0C74 again. Vehicle driven less than 100 miles after pump replacement before MIL came back on. Once again, MIL comes on in a parking lot a few moments after starting vehicle. Vehicle driven 25 miles home and parked.
07/12/21 - Vehicle currently back at service center for more troubleshooting. :mad:

I believe the MIL has always come on within a minute or a mile of "starting" the vehicle, never during an actual drive at speed, which leads me to speculate it is triggered from a previous drive and stored. I assume it could also be triggered and stored during the 2hrs of not being attended while charging at home?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Working for a Jeep dealership, I do know that Jeep is following these early-adopter issues VERY carefully. You have your Jeep dealer to rely on but you can contact the folks at JeepCares.com also.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Local service center has been great!
I don't think Jeep cares any longer. 😬
Proof - www.jeepcares.com isn't an active website. Just a domain for sale.
But thank you for trying to provide alternative routes of assistance. All assistance is appreciated.

The issue I am having is with STAR. They are refusing further assistance because I had 35" Nittos and rims installed and there are ABS/wheel speed sensor DTC's on the scan report. DTC's are from removing a Tazer before taking in for service that was used for setting the tire size to 35".

I was not aware that the battery coolant pump was connected to the wheels? Fancy!

Battery coolant pump MIL on at 650 miles, but 35" tires not installed until 1,565 miles. I see the connection now. :unsure:

It seems way to early in this $60k purchase to start thinking about a glass of lemonade.

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just took mine to the dealer today with the check engine light on (1800 miles on it) and the pump needs to be replaced (along with a couple of non battery related parts) They told me it was ok to drive so wish me luck. I do agree that this is inexcusable. Basic reliability is something you should expect with a new $60,000 vehicle.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hope you have a better experience with your repairs than us. Ours is still broken for the second time and we're still waiting on the coolant pump parts requested 3 weeks ago.
Good luck!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just took mine to the dealer today with the check engine light on (1800 miles on it) and the pump needs to be replaced (along with a couple of non battery related parts) They told me it was ok to drive so wish me luck. I do agree that this is inexcusable. Basic reliability is something you should expect with a new $60,000 vehicle.
Hope you have a better experience with your repairs than us. Ours is still broken for the second time and we're still waiting on the coolant pump parts requested 3 weeks ago.
Good luck!
Our team would like to discuss both of your concerns further, Sflynn37 and 4xeRubicon. When you have a second, please separately private message us with details to get started.

Kate
Jeep Cares

1 - 20 of 22 Posts