Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I "took delivery" on Wednesday, that lasted all of a 15 minute drive before the engine temp warning started. I pulled off, called my selling dealer and he said check the fuses, make sure fan is running and let it cool a bit then try again. I pushed all fuses, some were not fully seated, but they all appeared to be seated enough. I then drove to the next exit, pulled off let it cool completely down as it gave me warning again. I called dealer again, they said "can you get it back here" so I babied it back to the dealer, about 20 miles. That drive took about 40 minute having to stop and let it cool down and let battery charge enough with momentum to get back to the dealer. Today (Friday) dealer replaced thermostat with no effect, dealer is basically clueless and has reached out to Jeep directly. Anyone else experiencing anything like this? This doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy about a $60k vehicle that I don't even have 50 miles on yet and it's already in the shop for multiple days with no apparent cause.

·
Registered
852 Posts
That's engine and not the battery coolant that is the issue?

I've read plenty of stores about coolant hoses not being properly connected from the factory, but I'm sure they'd have detected a leak. Perhaps a crimped hose or someone stuffed a rag in a coolant hose? I've read so many off the lot Wrangler horror stores it's got me really thinking there is active sabotage on the factory floor.

Hopefully they are taking good care of you since you haven't filled out the survey yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jeep actually told them to pull the water pump and look for potential left behind plugs and such. I don't blame the dealer but it's annoying. They're being as helpful as they can be. This is a custom ordered one also, so I've been waiting for nearly 2 months and I really want to bring it home.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Little worried reading about the quality problems
That's not something 4xe specific. Seems to be a Wrangler thing and Crystler thing in general.

My father, owned a Chrysler sometime in the 50s or 60s. He still hates Chrysler to this day, 60 years later. You can't convince him the company has changed, lol.

Wrangler is my exception to the long standing family ban on any Chrysler family of vehicles.

·
Registered
272 Posts
@JeepCares Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Hi, KCN2BBQ. I can certainly dig in further while your Jeep is with the dealer. Please send me a private message with more details.

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
22 Posts
Jeep actually told them to pull the water pump and look for potential left behind plugs and such. I don't blame the dealer but it's annoying. They're being as helpful as they can be. This is a custom ordered one also, so I've been waiting for nearly 2 months and I really want to bring it home.
Any update?
:unsure:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any update?
:unsure:
I ended up leaving on vacation for a few weeks and they finally got a pump, must have found one that Jeep wasn't aware of because Jeep called me and didn't know it had been replaced. The good news is that ever since that replacement I've had no issues. There was some sort of valve that either didn't move freely or would get stuck in the wrong position and not allow water flow. I've got about 600 miles on it, although only about 200 gas miles all with no issues since then thank goodness.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I ended up leaving on vacation for a few weeks and they finally got a pump, must have found one that Jeep wasn't aware of because Jeep called me and didn't know it had been replaced. The good news is that ever since that replacement I've had no issues. There was some sort of valve that either didn't move freely or would get stuck in the wrong position and not allow water flow. I've got about 600 miles on it, although only about 200 gas miles all with no issues since then thank goodness.
Stupid question, the jeep was overheating even you were driving in electric mode? Or you have been utilizing ICE ?

Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stupid question, the jeep was overheating even you were driving in electric mode? Or you have been utilizing ICE ?

Cheers
Only when ICE was in use. I had a 140 mile drive home from dealership, and as soon as ICE got warm at all it didn't stop temps from rising. I got this because 90% of my driving will be local and can be electric only, so it just happened to be that my first drive caught this, or I may have not known for many weeks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Only when ICE was in use. I had a 140 mile drive home from dealership, and as soon as ICE got warm at all it didn't stop temps from rising. I got this because 90% of my driving will be local and can be electric only, so it just happened to be that my first drive caught this, or I may have not known for many weeks.
Good to know and happy you have your jeep back with no issues!

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
I "took delivery" on Wednesday, that lasted all of a 15 minute drive before the engine temp warning started. I pulled off, called my selling dealer and he said check the fuses, make sure fan is running and let it cool a bit then try again. I pushed all fuses, some were not fully seated, but they all appeared to be seated enough. I then drove to the next exit, pulled off let it cool completely down as it gave me warning again. I called dealer again, they said "can you get it back here" so I babied it back to the dealer, about 20 miles. That drive took about 40 minute having to stop and let it cool down and let battery charge enough with momentum to get back to the dealer. Today (Friday) dealer replaced thermostat with no effect, dealer is basically clueless and has reached out to Jeep directly. Anyone else experiencing anything like this? This doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy about a $60k vehicle that I don't even have 50 miles on yet and it's already in the shop for multiple days with no apparent cause.
I am going thru Same thing. Taking my car in on Monday and will see. I have bad feeling about this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am going thru Same thing. Taking my car in on Monday and will see. I have bad feeling about this.
Mine ended up being a simple water pump issue, but getting to that point was the painful part.
I looked at my build date and time, 6-2-21 @ 11pm, wonder if that has anything to do with it.
That's the time it walks off the line.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine ended up being a simple water pump issue, but getting to that point was the painful part.
I looked at my build date and time, 6-2-21 @ 11pm, wonder if that has anything to do with it.
That's the time it walks off the line.
thanks for that update. I just dropped off mine at dealer and he looked at me like he never heard this issue before. I tried to explain it happens when I start it and it can last full drive or taper off. We will see if they even get to it today. I will mention the water pump issue to them. the noise was so loud so hoping they find and fix but I have a feeling it won't make sound or they will need for few days to check to make sound.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm glad they got the correct fix and it wasn't a design defect of some sort. It used to be the old-fashioned mechanical issues (i.e. water pump) were easy to diagnose and fix and it was the electronics which were a mechanic's nightmare. In the past several years, as vehicles became rolling computers, techs just look for a code to be thrown/stored and, if none, would say they see nothing wrong....no fix for you....NEXT!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm glad they got the correct fix and it wasn't a design defect of some sort. It used to be the old-fashioned mechanical issues (i.e. water pump) were easy to diagnose and fix and it was the electronics which were a mechanic's nightmare. In the past several years, as vehicles became rolling computers, techs just look for a code to be thrown/stored and, if none, would say they see nothing wrong....no fix for you....NEXT!
After they drove mine 20 minutes and grabbed the radiator and didn't burn themselves it narrowed it down.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts