Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. My company has a discount program with Chrysler. I test drove a 4XE today and got a quote from the dealer. Basically with the options I want and including the $1495 destination fee the total came to $57,565 (same as I get on the Jeep.com site) and with my discount came down to $54,619 a savings of around 5.1%.

The dealer [of course] said they aren't negotiating the price of these and suggested that my discount would be the lowest price I could possibly see. I've seen other posts from Phila which suggested similar messages. Anyone think there is still some room worth negotiating?

I also will be trading in a 2017 Honda CRV Touring (top model) with 49K miles - KBB suggests around $24K trade-in value. What is the best strategy for trying to get best price - negotiate on the trade-in allowance or on the base car price. Any and all advice most welcome. Thanks a lot! Rob

Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks - I also have plenty of time. I assume that you'd only contact Gupton Jeep if you were close to TN? Or is there some way to buy it from them and have it delivered in PA or get a quote from them and use it to get matched by a dealer by me?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks - I also have plenty of time. I assume that you'd only contact Gupton Jeep if you were close to TN? Or is there some way to buy it from them and have it delivered in PA or get a quote from them and use it to get matched by a dealer by me?
Yes, you can make your own arrangements or they can help you with delivery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's there on the US site? Maybe Canada has different options? Last option under "Exterior"

·
Registered
11 Posts
@Hypnotics these discounts are just for leasing right? Not clear to me on any of the other threads here whether anyone is getting even FCA discount for straight up buying. I intend to off road quite a bit, so leasing is not an option. And here in CO anyway, no dealer seems interested in discussing anything less than MSRP (for buying).

·
Registered
19 Posts
@Hypnotics these discounts are just for leasing right? Not clear to me on any of the other threads here whether anyone is getting even FCA discount for straight up buying. I intend to off road quite a bit, so leasing is not an option. And here in CO anyway, no dealer seems interested in discussing anything less than MSRP (for buying).
Leasing or buying. I would get in touch with Abe @ Clutch auto brokerage. He is great and very efficient. [email protected]

·
Registered
132 Posts
DO NOT TRADE IN. Sell it to Carvana You’ll get much more and extremely easy. I’ve done it twice. This keeps your purchase deal clean.

·
Registered
228 Posts
DO NOT TRADE IN. Sell it to Carvana You’ll get much more and extremely easy. I’ve done it twice. This keeps your purchase deal clean.
If you sell instead of trade in, just make sure you are getting enough to offset state tax. At least in MA, I only pay sales tax on the difference after the trade in so I am also saving ~$2k in sales tax.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you sell instead of trade in, just make sure you are getting enough to offset state tax. At least in MA, I only pay sales tax on the difference after the trade in so I am also saving ~$2k in sales tax.
Doesn’t the buyer pay the sales tax?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Doesn’t the buyer pay the sales tax?
Yes, the buyer will pay tax on the car you sell them, but then you pay the full tax when you purchase the new car. If you trade in to the dealer, you only pay tax on the difference.

New car $60000. Tax rate 6.25% (MA rate) = $3750 in sales tax.

New car $60000 with trade in worth $40000 so taxed on only $20000. Tax 6.25% = $1250.

This is rough numbers, but the idea is, if you sell it privately, just be sure you are getting that much more than the trade in to offset the increase in sales tax.

I am getting enough on my trade in that I am saving over $2k in sales tax.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes, the buyer will pay tax on the car you sell them, but then you pay the full tax when you purchase the new car. If you trade in to the dealer, you only pay tax on the difference.

New car $60000. Tax rate 6.25% (MA rate) = $3750 in sales tax.

New car $60000 with trade in worth $40000 so taxed on only $20000. Tax 6.25% = $1250.

This is rough numbers, but the idea is, if you sell it privately, just be sure you are getting that much more than the trade in to offset the increase in sales tax.

I am getting enough on my trade in that I am saving over $2k in sales tax.
Whew I get ya. I’m about to sell my truck to Vroom and pocket about 6k whereas dealerships are offering 4k less. I was getting nervous about the sales tax thing. Lol My next step is to land a 4xe before it hits a dealers lot. 🤞

·
Registered
228 Posts
Got it. Yeah, I looked at the sites paying for used cars, my dealer offered me $6k more, so trade is better for me here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts