Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 4xe for nearly 2 weeks, was out today on the the expressway running errands when it happened. Semi truck in front of me spit up some road debris and cracked my windshield (sounded like small rock when it hit) ..ugh!..its already starting to spider out, was one 7 inch crack from drivers side upper corner if looking out, now has started to spread. need some advice from my forum buddies who might have had this happen to them. Do I go with a local owner / franchise like Safelite for replacement? Do I dare ask the dealer for a quote ?...should I upgrade the windshield to the Mopar Gorilla windshield?...any input is appreciated, still cant believe it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
This happened to me a few weeks ago. I contacted Safelite and they went through all the dealers in the area to get the part ordered (since it was out of stock everywhere). Took about 1 1/2 weeks for them to get the part and they replaced it. I couldn't get my insurance to sign off on the Gorilla glass unfortunately so I went with the OEM glass.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input.. so far I have Safelite giving me an estimate of $650 to replace with OEM plus tax, etc. I also reached out for local Auto glass shop who will call me tomorrow with an estimate, I asked them to give me an estimate for both OEM and the gorilla windshield. Ill keep ya posted, does anybody have the gorilla windshield? is it worth the upgrade ?...Thx

·
Registered
364 Posts
This happened to me a few weeks ago. I contacted Safelite and they went through all the dealers in the area to get the part ordered (since it was out of stock everywhere). Took about 1 1/2 weeks for them to get the part and they replaced it. I couldn't get my insurance to sign off on the Gorilla glass unfortunately so I went with the OEM glass.
Did you happen to ask if they would at least give you the credit toward Gorilla and let you pay the difference?

·
Registered
2021 Stingray Rubicon 4xe
95 Posts
I had this happen in my JLU and since the gorilla glass has a mopar part number and it is then considered OEM, safelite was able to replace mine with the gorilla glass for the same deductible. I have USAA if that helps any but it was no problem and I just had to wait about a week and a half for inventory.
This is real good to know. I live in AZ where the rock products industry got themselves a great liability carve out. We get a lot of broken windshields here. I was debating getting that when I ordered for fear I would pay the extra $100 and then get replaced with regular glass when the time inevitably comes. Glad to hear USAA will replace like for like.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I used Safelite on my old JK some years ago. The replacement windshield didn’t have any of the etched logos. Also it was clear right above the mirror which got annoying when I drove east in the morning going to work with sun coming in at just that angle. So if you go with Safelite you might want to ask.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1,213 Posts
I used Safelite on my old JK some years ago. The replacement windshield didn’t have any of the etched logos. Also it was clear right above the mirror which got annoying when I drove east in the morning going to work with sun coming in at just that angle. So if you go with Safelite you might want to ask.
You have to specify that you want OEM glass or they will substitute with cheap s**t.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update...having a new OEM windshield installed tomorrow @8am (local auto glass shop),$600 out the door. Decided not to go with the Gorilla for another $250 more, its lease after all. Taking a gamble I know, but my 4xe High Altitude will not be seeing any extreme off roading, just some Grampa driving with the g-kids with doors and top off. I plan on keeping it off the expressways as much as possible as well !..lol.

·
Registered
31 Posts
They should invent a really strong tear-off. Similar to NASCAR tear-off’s but strong. 3M are you listening? DuPont?? Mopar???😁
It already exists, just not in tear off form...

I've seen this product in action first hand at a friends detail shop a couple years ago. It legitimately does work. We were throwing full sized rocks at a test windshield for fun (half covered, half exposed) and the results were very impressive. It's not cheap, but it'll make your windshield last a hell of a lot longer.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1,213 Posts
It already exists, just not in tear off form...

I've seen this product in action first hand at a friends detail shop a couple years ago. It legitimately does work. We were throwing full sized rocks at a test windshield for fun (half covered, half exposed) and the results were very impressive. It's not cheap, but it'll make your windshield last a hell of a lot longer.
Awesome! Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.