Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chapter 1 - Humble beginnings

I took delivery on my Hydro Blue Rubicon 4xe on 6/22. This is the second Jeep I have owned--the first being a 1997 TJ, which I still own. Having a two-Jeep garage feels pretty good. :)

I had never driven a 4-door Jeep ever before a few months ago. Nothing against them, just never really felt the need. I had been thinking about the 4xe since it was announced, but wasn't sure if I would ultimately get one. As they became a reality this spring, I figured I'd check them out. I first test drove a regular 2.0L turbo Rubicon, and it was ok, but I was a little "meh" about it. Then I drove a 4xe, and that was a "wow", and I ordered one within the week.

My goals with my 4xe is to have a comfortable daily driver, but also evolve it into something that is quite capable off-road. I'm not looking to ever run it on level 8+ trails, but do want it to be able to get through some fun trails and take in some of the amazing sights of my home state of Colorado.

My build was a custom factory build--first time I had ever done that. While the wait was a little tough, I was able to get exactly what I wanted. I debated some of the extra features, and ultimately checked the boxes on all the things I really wanted. Definitely more money up front than anyone hopes, but I also have no regrets or "I wish I had gotten option x".

I'll post the build sheet here in a future post and talk about what I got and why I got that option.

There's always the topic of "do I name my Jeep?". I've had my TJ for 20+ years, and never came up with a name. But for my 4xe, I was inspired and I think I found a good one. I named it "Sonic". Like the hedgehog. It's Blue. It's Fast. It's Electric. I think it fits.

I'll end this first post with a picture of my 4xe on day 1 - fresh from the factory and totally stock. Will be fun to share how it changes over time.

·
Registered
88 Posts
That's the exact same appearance I ordered down to the white lettering on the tires. We were also blown away by the power and responsiveness of this beast when we did a test drive. It felt really good and is a good fit for our active retirement. I'm considering naming it Babe after Paul Bunyan's blue ox because it's big, powerful and blue.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I used to have a big blue chevy i had named Babe for the same reason VAWrangler. I thinks its great. We were considering Spark-e and having the e in the same for as the 4Xe one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chapter 2 - More Power!

My plan was always to get a level 2 charger, but scheduling was as such that it didn't happen until after the 4xe arrived. So, I used the level 1 charger for a few nights. It worked, but, as advertised, was s...l...o...w...

On Saturday, I got the new 240v charger installed. For this level of work, I hired a professional electrician to do it. I didn't want to risk messing this up and causing damage to my house.

Some specs of what went into it:
  • New 40A breaker added to my house electrical panel. Required moving around a few other breakers, but it all fit in the panel fine.
  • 6 gauge wire run about 50 feet
  • Nema 14-50 plug
  • ChargePoint Home Flex charger. Was backordered about a month from when I ordered it.
A few observations:
  • The install took about 4-5 hours start to finish for everything, including testing charging.
  • Copper wire is expensive - no surprise, but, geez.
  • The ChargePoint was a bit more expensive than other chargers, but I thought it was worth it for the brand prevalence, app, charging network, support, etc. Overall, I'm happy that I spent a little extra.
I'm really happy with the final result. Nice and clean and out of the way. The location will also allow me to park the 4xe in any of the garage bays.

A few pictures of the final result.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chapter 3 - A Brave New World

First day going into the office with my 4xe. My office has a free ChargePoint charging station so I was excited to see how it did. I was also curious to see what reaction I’d get with this curious beast we all own. Here’s how it went.

I pulled into the charging station parking space. Within 2 minutes, 2 people came out to tease me that I shouldn’t pick that sweet spot. (It’s a small office so they were just teasing me.) I replied that my Jeep was legit to park there and opened the charging door. One had heard of the 4xe, the other hadn’t. Lots of follow up questions ensued. It was interesting trying to explain it all and the advantages and trade offs. For me, I live 12 miles from work, so it’s a great sweet spot for the 4xe.

I then tried using the ChargePoint. It was the first time I was charging it outside of my garage. Tapped my phone on the charging station, charger released. Plugged it in and that was it. Phone notification popped up when it was done charging. Super seamless and worked exactly as I had hoped.

Later in the day when I was leaving, I saw a Tesla parked next to my Jeep that was charging up too. Definitely a good vision of the future where Jeeps and Tesla’s can live together in harmony. 🙂

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chapter 4 - The first modifications

I generally get Jeep upgrades to be functional and improve the performance of something. However, there are times when a few cosmetic things are needed. My first modifications fell into this category.

First upgrade - blue bezels on some of the interior dials. I think they look great with the Hydro Blue body color.

Second upgrade was the antenna. That long, solver antenna wasn't doing it for me. I never use AM or FM, so signal performance wasn't a concern. I ended up getting a short antenna. Definitely looks better, IMO.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
604 Posts
Looks good. I did a stubby antenna as well. I’ve seen the bezels on Amazon and thought they looked cool. I really wanted a neon green and they only have a darker green. The blue looks great with your color.
nice that you have a charging station at work. Will users of the station move their vehicles after charging is completed? As more people show up to work in electric vehicles I would think there would be more competition for getting to the charging stations first in the morning. Hence some type of system to where the next person could move their car to the charger and so on…

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks good. I did a stubby antenna as well. I’ve seen the bezels on Amazon and thought they looked cool. I really wanted a neon green and they only have a darker green. The blue looks great with your color.
nice that you have a charging station at work. Will users of the station move their vehicles after charging is completed? As more people show up to work in electric vehicles I would think there would be more competition for getting to the charging stations first in the morning. Hence some type of system to where the next person could move their car to the charger and so on…
My office is just re-opening after being offline for 18 months. So far, only 2 vehicles are electric. It's a smaller office, so everyone kind of knows everyone, so I think there will be some charging courtesy in place where people will be reasonable taking turns. That said, yes, as more people get electric vehicles, it could start to get congested and we'll have to put some additional processes in place.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts