Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a question for those who’ve already purchased their 4xe. I’m seriously considering making the jump, but I’m concerned that my daily 54 mile round trip commute to work and back will negate any of the real benefits of the 4xe. My current vehicle gets about 20mpg as it is. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Do you have a charging station at work?
That was my first question.

Here's a spreadsheet Garry Marshall made. You can plug in some numbers and see how it works out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the spreadsheet. And no, I don’t have a charger at the office. So it’s be 27 miles to, and 27 back home. Mix of city/hwy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for the spreadsheet. And no, I don’t have a charger at the office. So it’s be 27 miles to, and 27 back home. Mix of city/hwy.
I'm in a similar situation - my commute is 21 miles and work doesn't have a charger. luckily for me, my apartment offers free level 1 charging. I'm considering getting a bike and riding it from a charge station to work that's about a mile away, but even if I don't - I'm still basically getting 34 - 40 miles per gallon. It looks like your 54 mile commute is right on the brink of at least breaking even so in my mind it's worth it. If you do anything close to home like buying groceries or what have you- you are sure to come out ahead on those outings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Admittedly, I don’t go in the office anymore as we switched to 100% remote, but when I did I would drive my plugin 2018 BMW 330e to the office about 15 miles away. It has a smaller battery pack and I usually ran out of battery just as I was pulling into the parking lot if I kept it in full electric mode, but I enjoyed finding ways to optimize charging on the drive in since my office didn’t have a charger.

While my drive was never full electric both ways, I really enjoy the flexibility that the PHEV gives you. Long drive? Just fill up with gas and keep going. Short drives around town? Keep it all electric. I drove it from Atlanta to Tampa when I bought it and instantly knew PHEV was the right choice for me.

Since we switched to remote work and all my drives were now just a few miles here and there, I’ve gotten over 1000 miles on a single tank of gas and the BMW only has an 8 gallon tank. I’m almost exclusively electric unless I gun it and use the eBoost.

The only annoying part of a PHEV is you need to plug it in more often than a standard EV (I.e. every night) but it’s a trade off I’ll willing take to get the flexibility. I’ll eventually go full EV, but for now, I think PHEV is an amazing middle ground.

Looking forward to when my 4xe arrives!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just from some simple calculations I made. 1 Gal gas = ~1 Electric charge (20mi gas ~= 21mi electric).
I pay 14.8 cents per Kw (including taxes and additional charges from the electric company. 14.8 X 17 KW battery storage = $2.51 per electric charge.

A gallon of gas is ~$2.84 right now. So I'm saving about $0.30, per electric fill-up. Even if it were $1.00 savings per electric fill-up it would take quite a while for a payback.

Also keep in mind that the battery adds 500 lbs to the vehicle weight, so your gas mileage is a little less than the full gas engine (20 MPG vs 21 MPG).

With all that said, you do get great performance from the gas/electric combo, and you can do many trails in pure electric. The Wrangler is not built for great gas mileage anyway, but one of the best off-road vehicles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I got 24 Miles on electric only and I average 30MPG in hybrid mode with max regen on. If you want a JLU with the best gas mileage this is the one to get! I was originally shopping for the diesel model when the 4xe came storming in. The 7500 federal and 3000 State credit definitely gave me an extra push too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts