Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve been researching dash cams and I thought I wanted a Blackvue but recent reviews on Amazon are not that great. I looked at the Garmin but no rear camera option. I’d be interested to hear from anyone who has recently bought one and using it. I don’t plan on using parking mode or the cloud so I’m looking at the simpler models. Thanks in advance for any comments.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Garmin does have a rear camera option. I know because I work there. Dash Cams | Wireless Backup Cameras | Garmin I have a dashcam from Garmin and I use it for both the potential for accidents and also as a Trail Cam when I am off the trails.
Thanks for that. I’m looking for a dual camera set up that has one to record forwards and a camera that records behind you. It looks like from this link it’s just a live view in reverse. Or am I not seeing it?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that. I’m looking for a dual camera set up that has one to record forwards and a camera that records behind you. It looks like from this link it’s just a live view in reverse. Or am I not seeing it?
On a side note I’ve always loved our Garmin GPS unit for our older cars that don’t have built in navigation.

·
Registered
2021 JLU 4xe HA
30 Posts
I bought 2 of these Garmin Dash Cam™ Mini 2 | Dash Cam
The sync up using the garmin app so you pair more than 2 if you want to add additional cameras to face inside as well.
They are tiny and don't draw any attention. I am using the hardwire kit for the front which gives me the parking lot mode (activates if car is bumped). The rear is using the 12v plug (set to ignition on/off) with the wire hidden up the weather stripping and attached to the frame not the glass. Super easy install and the software is great
Sky Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Plant
Car Vehicle Window White Motor vehicle

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The sync up using the garmin app so you pair more than 2 if you want to add additional cameras to face inside as well.
They are tiny and don't draw any attention. I am using the hardwire kit for the front which gives me the parking lot mode (activates if car is bumped). The rear is using the 12v plug (set to ignition on/off) with the wire hidden up the weather stripping and attached to the frame not the glass. Super easy install and the software is great View attachment 3273 View attachment 3274
Can you plug a second cable into the cigarette adapter that goes into the 12v outlet in the front? It looks like it on the website. If I don’t want to hardwire I’m thinking I could buy two Garmins as well and get the long power cable and run it to the front.

·
Registered
2022 JLUR 4xe (on Order)
29 Posts
They are tiny and don't draw any attention. I am using the hardwire kit for the front which gives me the parking lot mode (activates if car is bumped). The rear is using the 12v plug (set to ignition on/off) with the wire hidden up the weather stripping and attached to the frame not the glass. Super easy install and the software is great View attachment 3273 View attachment 3274
I’m going to do two Garmins like this when I get my 4xe.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you leave the rear camera plugged in all the time? The owner’s manual says it will still drain battery even when ignition off.

·
Registered
2022 JLUR 4xe (on Order)
29 Posts
I can ask about the power draw with the engineers on Monday. I don't think its a large amount of power if it is in parking mode. It would only record if it saw something.

·
Registered
2021 JLU 4xe HA
30 Posts
Do you leave the rear camera plugged in all the time? The owner’s manual says it will still drain battery even when ignition off.
From the factory the 12V plug in the back is constant on. You can change the fuse in the box to make the 12V plug in the rear go on and off with ignition. So no battery drain from the rear. As for the hardwired, the Garmin has a smart power cell, meaning it checks voltage and shuts off if the battery drops to low, but in general, it only activates when its bumped, otherwise its sleeping. I haven't had a single issue yet.

·
Registered
2021 JLU 4xe HA
30 Posts
Can you plug a second cable into the cigarette adapter that goes into the 12v outlet in the front? It looks like it on the website. If I don’t want to hardwire I’m thinking I could buy two Garmins as well and get the long power cable and run it to the front.
Yes, I only did the hardwire in the front to get parking lot mode. It comes with a 12v plug, the hardwire cable is extra

·
Registered
2021 JLUS 4xe
28 Posts
I installed a Blackvue dual camera setup and am very pleased. I hardwired power to the battery wire on my aux wire bundle in the passenger footwell, running inside trim along the top, then down the passenger side of the windshield. The rear camera wire runs inside the plastic trim pieces along the passenger side of the roll cage, then to the mount location on the rear crossbar.
Automotive mirror Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Window

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design

I did have to make a small notch in the crossbar trim to accommodate the cable, but it's practically invisible.

Edit: adding sample views.
Cloud Plant Sky Plant community Hood

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Grille Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I installed a Blackvue dual camera setup and am very pleased. I hardwired power to the battery wire on my aux wire bundle in the passenger footwell, running inside trim along the top, then down the passenger side of the windshield. The rear camera wire runs inside the plastic trim pieces along the passenger side of the roll cage, then to the mount location on the rear crossbar.
View attachment 3282

View attachment 3281
I did have to make a small notch in the crossbar trim to accommodate the cable, but it's practically invisible.

Edit: adding sample views.
View attachment 3284

View attachment 3285
Does your wire go down the windshield into the far right corner where I feel like I feel a hole between dash board and windshield?

·
Registered
2021 JLUS 4xe
28 Posts
Does your wire go down the windshield into the far right corner where I feel like I feel a hole between dash board and windshield?
Yes. I removed the side grab bar and fished the cable down through the opening at the edge of the dash. It emerged near where electrical disconnection point for the door. Others have had success just loosening the grab bar. I used a flexible fiberglass rod, but a coat hanger could probably be used with care.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts