Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question about the level 1 charging cable... when I'm not using it to charge, I leave it at home (takes too long to pack/unpack everytime I go somewhere). Is it safe to leave it plugged into the wall while it's not charging the 4xe?

I've been looking in the owners manual, but haven't been able to find any guidance on proper care for the charging cable. I know it's getting power even without the jeep charging, as the indicator light stays solid green.

I'm also curious how other owners are using their level 1 cables.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I read the manual to try the answer the same question. But all the manual kind of says to always pack it up and bring it with you. Which seems silly if you are just running errands around town. I'd rather just buy another level one or level 2.

I've been leaving mine plugged in out of being lazy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Question about the level 1 charging cable... when I'm not using it to charge, I leave it at home (takes too long to pack/unpack everytime I go somewhere). Is it safe to leave it plugged into the wall while it's not charging the 4xe?

I've been looking in the owners manual, but haven't been able to find any guidance on proper care for the charging cable. I know it's getting power even without the jeep charging, as the indicator light stays solid green.

I'm also curious how other owners are using their level 1 cables.
It appears this is the same charger (just rebranded) as the AmazingE 16Amp (they also mention model E346031 in their UL listing and their site). They say it is ok to leave plugged in and that it uses about 3W on standby.

·
Registered
81 Posts
One thing I would do, is use a surge suppressor on the outlet - I kind of assume the same lightning situation that will smoke a TV or a fridge, might be unfriendly to a car that's plugged in (unless there's something integrated into the charger itself).

I've been using our L1 this past week with the Jeep in the driveway, plugged into an outlet in the garage (with the door closed at night too), but we do have an L2.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One thing I would do, is use a surge suppressor on the outlet - I kind of assume the same lightning situation that will smoke a TV or a fridge, might be unfriendly to a car that's plugged in (unless there's something integrated into the charger itself).

I've been using our L1 this past week with the Jeep in the driveway, plugged into an outlet in the garage (with the door closed at night too), but we do have an L2.
Makes sense to think about surge protectors while charging, but I'm more concerned about what happens to the cable when I'm NOT charging. I suppose the "brick" on the charging cable could get fried by a surge if I leave it plugged in 24/7.

Have you been leaving the cable plugged in while you're not charging? I left mine in all day yesterday, and everything was cool-to-the-touch when I got home from work. (y)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Have you been leaving the cable plugged in while you're not charging? I left mine in all day yesterday, and everything was cool-to-the-touch when I got home from work. (y)

I have, I'd assume without any load / not connected to the car, it basically just "idles". Our L2 has a 20' cable so the Jeep has to be in garage, and we're getting things sorted out so both cars can park inside, then we probably won't use the L1 at home very much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you are going to use a surge protector, just make sure it's one that can handle the power. Plenty of surge protectors have melted when you use them at 80% load for hours on end. Kinda of like if you need to use an extension cord, it needs to be able to handle it as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts