Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unless you want to get stuck somewhere with electronic stability control / hybrid battery system/ turtle mode issues.

Have a Sahara now with ~2900 miles. No issues on paved roads. Took moderate difficulty dirt road near Big Bear, CA area, on hot day today (~90F). Halfway up a long steady ascent (~3000ft ascent over ~10mi), suddenly has check engine light on, along with popup to service electronic stability control as well as service hybrid battery system. Turtle mode and red wrench. No power to go up hill. Had to reverse it downhill for approx. 1/4mile, then no power to make it past a flat rocky bit. Turned off for about 15min to cool on the one-way narrow road. After cooling, no more turtle mode so was able to turn it around and make it back down. Did check all the fuses/relays, all seated. Check engine light was on during drive home on highway but off next time I started it. Issue appears heat related.

Do NOT take this vehicle up ascents off-road until FCA does a recall and fixes their electronics issues.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Unless you want to get stuck somewhere with electronic stability control / hybrid battery system/ turtle mode issues.

Have a Sahara now with ~2900 miles. No issues on paved roads. Took moderate difficulty dirt road near Big Bear, CA area, on hot day today (~90F). Halfway up a long steady ascent (~3000ft ascent over ~10mi), suddenly has check engine light on, along with popup to service electronic stability control as well as service hybrid battery system. Turtle mode and red wrench. No power to go up hill. Had to reverse it downhill for approx. 1/4mile, then no power to make it past a flat rocky bit. Turned off for about 15min to cool on the one-way narrow road. After cooling, no more turtle mode so was able to turn it around and make it back down. Did check all the fuses/relays, all seated. Check engine light was on during drive home on highway but off next time I started it. Issue appears heat related.

Do NOT take this vehicle up ascents off-road until FCA does a recall and fixes their electronics issues.
60K off road car that can’t go off road. Did they brainwash us becuSe I am still getting mine 😂😂. Thanks though!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
60K off road car that can’t go off road. Did they brainwash us becuSe I am still getting mine 😂😂. Thanks though!
Well it does go downhill just fine. The regenerative braking is great, makes for some quiet one pedal driving which is especially nice in the forest with the top off. Just choose your roads wisely with no ascents I guess..

·
Registered
61 Posts

1700 miles, six weeks of ownership, three weekend trips on washboard, rocky roads, some 6% uphill grades, by the dash inclinometer. No rock climbing, but plenty of ledges, loose rocks, etc. No problems.

Recommend you open your fuse box and press down firmly ALL fuses AND particularly ALL relays. I read another thread about it, early on. Found two fuses that were no fully seated and two relays that were not seated properly.
Wiggle the relays to make sure they are seated properly. See if you find a culprit..

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
39 Posts
Sorry to hear that and hope they fix yours soon.
I just don’t think it makes sense to make generalizations based on specific examples. I have no issues taking my rubicon off-roading at various conditions on absolutely rough terrain.

·
Registered
12 Posts
All these posts of them failing. Might be talking me out of taking it offroad for now but that's why I bought it. :confused:

·
Registered
126 Posts

So sorry to hear this, Uhok! If you are still experiencing concerns and would like our assistance, send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
3 Posts
1700 miles, six weeks of ownership, three weekend trips on washboard, rocky roads, some 6% uphill grades, by the dash inclinometer. No rock climbing, but plenty of ledges, loose rocks, etc. No problems.

Recommend you open your fuse box and press down firmly ALL fuses AND particularly ALL relays. I read another thread about it, early on. Found two fuses that were no fully seated and two relays that were not seated properly.
Wiggle the relays to make sure they are seated properly. See if you find a culprit..
Will you educate me on relays versus fuses?

·
Registered
16 Posts
2 months of ownership, 4 trips offroad, zero issues 100% smiles here.
Try pushing down on all the fuses and relays in the fuse box, some people have noticed not all of them where seated 100%
Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fuses and relays verified, fully seated. Apparently checked by someone else too, chalk mark on fuse box.

Same issue occurred again going uphill on dirt road, another hot day in SoCal. Besides limp mode, service hybrid system, and service stability control, this time also stating “service transmission” and “vehicle not in park” after it was in park. Leads me to believe the issue is over-heating related as letting it cool down for 20min and going back downhill seems to make it go away. The check engine light also goes away after restart so don’t know if a dealer will be able to do anything, but set an appointment anyway.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Fuses and relays verified, fully seated. Apparently checked by someone else too, chalk mark on fuse box.

Same issue occurred again going uphill on dirt road, another hot day in SoCal. Besides limp mode, service hybrid system, and service stability control, this time also stating “service transmission” and “vehicle not in park” after it was in park. Leads me to believe the issue is over-heating related as letting it cool down for 20min and going back downhill seems to make it go away. The check engine light also goes away after restart so don’t know if a dealer will be able to do anything, but set an appointment anyway.
get clean airfilter, check radiator for dirt/bugs or bend fins that reduces air flow. check coolant lvl and trapped air in hoses " burb it out".

give engine time to cool down with running engine after interstate highway drive .
any front modes like winch or grill inserts or light bars change the air flow as well.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
70 Posts
I beat the shit out of mine, ripped parts off, threw parts on. It has 8,750 miles on it. No issues what so ever! Did Hells Revenge in all electric mode. This thing actually keeps impressing me as I'm still fining things about it. Like the Auto High Beams! Holy cow are those cool!
4xe full.jpg
20210521_183141.jpg
20210521_184222.jpg
20210521_192344.jpg
20210610_180048.jpg

·
Registered
325 Posts
Think he was doing the same thing and his Jeep broke down, let’s to a final check.
Oil… was the oil level okay. If okay what is next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Where did you get all the blue accents? And what is the name of the blue? Been trying to find items in the blue but am having trouble.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Went off-road today in my Sahara with 9% inclines and no issues at all. Maxed out at 16% roll and totally fine. Stopped for lunch with amazing views and <1% battery left. From there went straight home about 30 miles, mostly downhill, and wound up doing 14 miles on electric. The 4xe is a marvel of modern engineering and I couldn’t be happier with it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts