Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw that the non 4XE Rubicon gets a 21 liter tank while the 4XE gets around 17.5. Have you regretted getting the 4XE version due to its smaller tank? Have you found filling up more frequently or would it be more frequent than its gas equivalent?
I am coming from a standard range 200 miles fully charge Tesla model 3 and I am feeling a little bit of remorse with going the 4XE route because I feel like I will be filling up a lot more frequently?
I absolutely hated waiting around charging my Tesla and I am wondering if I will see myself filling this thing up just as often?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is that with just purely driving around on electric or the range is just that good?
Really depends on your driving habits / commute. Electric only range is not Tesla territory, but with a level 2 charger, daily driving barely touches the gas tank for me. Not uncommon to get 700-1000 miles on a tank. As far as straight driving range, I make the monthly treck from Eagle to Denver and back (about 280 miles of mountain pass) without having to fill up. While not the most practical vehicle for comfortable / efficient highway road trips, I haven't found the rage to be limiting by any means.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've had the car since July, and I'm only on my 4th or 5th tank. The summer was a little tougher because of a few road trips, but once the fall hit and the kids went back to school, I've been able to stretch out a couple of fill ups - one for 2000 miles, current tank is at 1200 miles and I have 1/8 tank left. And I'd be doing better if I didn't have so many kids' sporting events to drive to. The keys are (1) daily community that you can do on one charge (mine is 27 miles total, but I really cannot charge at work), and (2) level 2 charger any home and charging whenever you can.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Really depends on your driving habits / commute. Electric only range is not Tesla territory, but with a level 2 charger, daily driving barely touches the gas tank for me. Not uncommon to get 700-1000 miles on a tank. As far as straight driving range, I make the monthly treck from Eagle to Denver and back (about 280 miles of mountain pass) without having to fill up. While not the most practical vehicle for comfortable / efficient highway road trips, I haven't found the rage to be limiting by any means.
The level 2 is the key here. We haven't installed ours yet (waiting on the electrician... I can do smaller electrical work but when it comes to the breaker...no thanks) and the level one just doesn't get us our full charge quickly enough where we then risk using gas. Add in the avoidance of the peak demand window for our electricity (to not charge during using much higher price electrons) and it gets tricky. Really looking fwd to the level 2.

How does the jeep do on that eagle to den trip? I'm just south of Denver but make trips to the mountains a lot for skiing and camping - just haven't had a chance as life's been keeping me busy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I saw that the non 4XE Rubicon gets a 21 liter tank while the 4XE gets around 17.5. Have you regretted getting the 4XE version due to its smaller tank? Have you found filling up more frequently or would it be more frequent than its gas equivalent?
I am coming from a standard range 200 miles fully charge Tesla model 3 and I am feeling a little bit of remorse with going the 4XE route because I feel like I will be filling up a lot more frequently?
I absolutely hated waiting around charging my Tesla and I am wondering if I will see myself filling this thing up just as often?
Forehead Nose Lip Chin Eyebrow

I bought it specifically for the hybrid power + federal monies + coming from a JK to the JL + sky touch awesomeness

Based solely on 4Xe or not 4Xe due to the gas tank size? that's a pretty weird contemplation. I'd say the 4Xe and non 4Xe have the same mile range due to the increased mpg. If that 0-60 mile difference matters to you why are you buying a brick on wheels?

·
Registered
JLURe 2021 sting gray
15 Posts
no regrets here. I have enough battery range to do 3/4 of my daily commute so engine still kick in every days that I go to work which is once or twice a week... As everyone mention key is to recharge daily!

But if you want to compare both JLU one is 21.5gal the other 17.2gal
one does not have a battery and the other do... So if you drive both of them identically without daily recharge. Then, yes you will fill more often on the 4xe.

again, if you go for an extended road trip where your initial 25 miles +- electric is depleted and continue until gas is then depleted. Yes i assume the 4xe will not go as far as a non PHEV equivalent due to smaller tank and heavier weight on long distance. but this scenario is for a single trip with no charge in between. If you recharge every day and most of your commute do not engage ICE... well, you will be way beyond any ICE equivalent in range per tank.

So in my case, I preferred to not use my ICE most of the time daily and yes probably more gas on a long roadtrip or camping trip...

But this is something you need to commit to if you want any PHEV, it is Not specific to the jeep 4xe.

I am no engineer so I might miss something and be completely wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no regrets here. I have enough battery range to do 3/4 of my daily commute so engine still kick in every days that I go to work which is once or twice a week... As everyone mention key is to recharge daily!

But if you want to compare both JLU one is 21.5gal the other 17.2gal
one does not have a battery and the other do... So if you drive both of them identically without daily recharge. Then, yes you will fill more often on the 4xe.

again, if you go for an extended road trip where your initial 25 miles +- electric is depleted and continue until gas is then depleted. Yes i assume the 4xe will not go as far as a non PHEV equivalent due to smaller tank and heavier weight on long distance. but this scenario is for a single trip with no charge in between. If you recharge every day and most of your commute do not engage ICE... well, you will be way beyond any ICE equivalent in range per tank.

So in my case, I preferred to not use my ICE most of the time daily and yes probably more gas on a long roadtrip or camping trip...

But this is something you need to commit to if you want any PHEV, it is Not specific to the jeep 4xe.

I am no engineer so I might miss something and be completely wrong.
That's a good point. Thanks! Charge her like a tesla.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yeah, zero regrets. I just bought gas for the first time in ~1 month yesterday due to lots of short trips, using esave to save battery for inefficient driving (AKA off-road) and so on. Any short trip uses zero gas, on a road trip you will need to fill up more, but you should be taking breaks anyway. Though, to be fair, I don't mind charge stops/breaks when road tripping Teslas, so maybe I'm just patient?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Is that with just purely driving around on electric or the range is just that good?
Just using it normally in Hybrid mode which for us is usually on battery power but the engine does come on from time to time. The 4xe is my wife's daily driver and she averages 15-20 per day I think. She has had it over 6 months and we have taken it camping 4 or 5 times so far (usually pulling a small trailer). I have never reset the driving history and it says about 38mpg (fuel and electric blended). That seems pretty good for our use case so the vehicles does what we hoped and expected.

I think on straight fuel only then mpg isn't quite as good as some other Wrangler models but we drive mostly in electric so it works for us.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Most of my local driving is all electric, so no, the small gas tank isn't a concern. On straight highway use a 4xe might get slightly less mpg than the same exact setup 2.0L for the same trim so a few usable gallons difference means, say, ~60-90 miles range difference (full vs zero charge) when starting out. Currently my 4xe Rubi yields about the same highway mpg as the old 2.0L Sport JLU, with both better than the old 2012 JK 2-door. So, with ~400 miles highway range using usually 15.0+ gallons at fill-up, the concern is... :unsure:? None, actually.

In city driving with lots of stop and go, the 4xe kicks the non-4xe Sport JLU in the proverbial nuggets in the mpg department; it's also better to not have fuel sitting so long running in EV mode, so less is better for that consideration.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Coming from a V6 JLU Sport S with the bigger gas tank.

I use Hybrid for city streets and traffic under 55mph and E-Save for anything above 55mph, using Battery Save and Max Regen only for slowing down.

I fully charge my battery at night and plus another 50% while at work.

My commute is 70 miles round trip 5days/week, consists of freeway and city streets.

With the V6 Sport S, I averaged 20mpg and I filled up a full tank once a week.

In my 4Xe Rubicon, I average 30mpg and I fill up 1/2 tank once a week.

I did a few longer distance driving a few weeks ago (OC to Malibu and back) without recharging and averaged about 23mpg

Once the battery empties, it's pretty much a regular 2.0T carrying an added 700lb battery; which should give it less MPG than a regular wrangler.

Just got to make sure the battery is charged as much as possible and the fuel tank size really shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The level 2 is the key here. We haven't installed ours yet (waiting on the electrician... I can do smaller electrical work but when it comes to the breaker...no thanks) and the level one just doesn't get us our full charge quickly enough where we then risk using gas. Add in the avoidance of the peak demand window for our electricity (to not charge during using much higher price electrons) and it gets tricky. Really looking fwd to the level 2.

How does the jeep do on that eagle to den trip? I'm just south of Denver but make trips to the mountains a lot for skiing and camping - just haven't had a chance as life's been keeping me busy.
We had a a wait to get our installed as well, but I know my limits as well. As far as I70 goes, the 4xe is not the most practical highway hauler, but keep the speed in check over the broken pavement and it's fine. Plenty of power and range to make it down and back without filling up. Overall milage takes a hit but recovers after a week or so of normal driving in the valley. Also, the above average public charging through the valley is a plus. Might find yourself a cheap plug / prime parking spot for skiing in Vail or Lionshead next power day (assuming we ever get snow🙃).

·
Registered
30 Posts
dkax1985 - If you're just looking to fill up and go, expect to see a max range of around 350 miles, 20ish of those miles will be electric. Most of my driving is less than 30 miles in any direction where I have access to (free) public charging coupled with a level 2 home charger allows for the larger milage between fill ups. Fun to drive and surprisingly practical.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We had a a wait to get our installed as well, but I know my limits as well. As far as I70 goes, the 4xe is not the most practical highway hauler, but keep the speed in check over the broken pavement and it's fine. Plenty of power and range to make it down and back without filling up. Overall milage takes a hit but recovers after a week or so of normal driving in the valley. Also, the above average public charging through the valley is a plus. Might find yourself a cheap plug / prime parking spot for skiing in Vail or Lionshead next power day (assuming we ever get snow🙃).
The weather is becoming a real bummer. The drought just never goes away and then when we do get water its like people suddenly forget that it never really goes away. I have cracks in my land that you could break an ankle in! That said, yes, we will partake in the charging in the valley - we usually go for beaver creek and they have several charging options, too.

Off to do my snow dance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The weather is becoming a real bummer. The drought just never goes away and then when we do get water its like people suddenly forget that it never really goes away. I have cracks in my land that you could break an ankle in! That said, yes, we will partake in the charging in the valley - we usually go for beaver creek and they have several charging options, too.

Off to do my snow dance.
We're newish to the area so this will be my first ' ski season' in over 10 years. New skis and roof rack already to go depending on how well that dance works out. The summer wildfires (12 miles from us) followed with the daily I70 flooding / mudslides in Glenwood have been crazy and it only seems to get worse the further west you go. Fingers crossed for a decent snow pack this winter. We could all use the relief. Hit me up if you make up this season. Beers on me!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts