Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a Grizzl-E Level 2 charger on our house and charge the Jeep outside here in New England. I used to see the Jeep charge within 3 or so hours when it was warmer. But now that it’s 15-40 degrees out the charger only performs at a level 1 rate (12-13 hours a charge). The Jeep doesn’t show me the level 1 vs level 2 charge times on the dash, so I assume it knows it’s receiving the most power it can from the charger? Curious if this is normal winter behavior that others are experiencing or if it’s a charger issue. We don’t have many public chargers to test with (they are always in use at the shopping centers…)

·
Registered
833 Posts
That is bizarre. I have not heard of such a thing. May be worth double checking the dip switches, although not sure how they could change.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
893 Posts
We have a Grizzl-E Level 2 charger on our house and charge the Jeep outside here in New England. I used to see the Jeep charge within 3 or so hours when it was warmer. But now that it’s 15-40 degrees out the charger only performs at a level 1 rate (12-13 hours a charge). The Jeep doesn’t show me the level 1 vs level 2 charge times on the dash, so I assume it knows it’s receiving the most power it can from the charger? Curious if this is normal winter behavior that others are experiencing or if it’s a charger issue. We don’t have many public chargers to test with (they are always in use at the shopping centers…)
I don’t think that should be the case. Should charge as LVL 2.

EDIT: I guess I’m wrong.😐

·
Registered
833 Posts
EDIT: I guess I’m wrong
They're talking about DC fast charging there, but it's also not nearly as much of a drop as we are talking about here. I've heard of level 1 charging taking an extra hour or so when it's really cold, but not a 6-7x drop.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
893 Posts
They're talking about DC fast charging there, but it's also not nearly as much of a drop as we are talking about here. I've heard of level 1 charging taking an extra hour or so when it's really cold, but not a 6-7x drop.
Yeah, that seems excessive.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have a Grizzl-E in my garage and I see no difference in performance. It is really cold here, 2* outside about 10-12* in my garage. I saw no impact to my charge time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the responses, looks like I have some investigating to do. Today I’ll try and make it to a public charger and see how the Jeep performs there too, only a high of 18F today

·
Registered
251 Posts
It depends on the programming. The charger for L1 and L2 is in the car and controlled by a computer. It can request different charge levels. Usually the first few minutes are ramping up to a steady rate and then as the battery gets close to 100% (usable) then it tapers off.

If the HVB is very cold, then it can't charge as fast so the computer will likely request a slower speed until it warms up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It depends on the programming. The charger for L1 and L2 is in the car and controlled by a computer. It can request different charge levels. Usually the first few minutes are ramping up to a steady rate and then as the battery gets close to 100% (usable) then it tapers off.

If the HVB is very cold, then it can't charge as fast so the computer will likely request a slower speed until it warms up.
Looks to be an issue with the charger itself… took it to a public charger and it told me 20 mins to charge. Drove home and the battery went down 5% but my home charger tells me 3 hours to charge. Something ain’t right, luckily it’s still within the realm of returns

checked the dip switches inside too and even put them to 32 and back… no change

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My Level 2 connectors in my garage also charge at full rate - once the batteries are up to temp - regardless of outside temps.
Yeah looks to be an issue with my charger. Got the Jeep up to temp and by the end of my errands I could put it in all electric mode and it’s only 7 degrees out here. Public charger it charged quickly but back home it wants to go at a snails pace… I’ve ordered a replacement charger so when that new one comes I’ll update what I find

1 - 12 of 12 Posts